Track Conversion is getting silly... - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Track Conversion is getting silly...

So I'm well on the way to a complete trackbike conversion of my 08 and this weekend it took a big (and silly) leap forward.

I intended to respring the bike for my weight and get my suspension professionally setup. This lead to me biting the bullet on the extra cash and converting to brand new Ohlins front and rear. Spending the money I already was, I figured at least the Ohlins fit 07-13 and have good resale value. I splurged, but what the hell, right?

Next were the braided lines. Not exactly a luxury item, more of a must have for a quick pace on a hot summer day. No biggie here.

When I went to tech Monday morning I was told my pads may not make it through the 85+ degree day on the 4 mile track. Went over to trackside support who would be happy to get me new pads, because I do enjoy stopping when needed. Turns out he only had carbon race pads - so I got those installed.

I now basically have a bike that will take me years to be able to ride to the level of the parts that are currently on it. The suspension was a necessary investment (Ohlins were not necessary however) to progress my riding while keeping me and the bike safe and maybe saving a dollar or two on tire wear.

EDIT: Pic is on the way to the track pre-upgrades described above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-25 14.50.39.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	128482  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHINO52405 View Post
The suspension was a necessary investment (Ohlins were not necessary however) to progress my riding while keeping me and the bike safe and maybe saving a dollar or two on tire wear.
Maybe it was... but who's call was it? It's better to be told you're ready, than to judge you're ready. Are you running in A group? You should be among the top third and lap consistently before suspension mods come into the picture (not suspension tuning though, like springs and re-valving, which offer much better value). Suspension guys at the track are pretty good at telling me 'just buy tires and more track time' instead of carts or internals. They harsh but fair that way

I'm just saying, it's super easy to justify cool bits in your mind. I have.
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:15 PM
Moto GP Racer

Oh yeah, try to confirm what pads you bought, some pads want to be used with certain kinds of discs, you don't want to tear up the rotors you have.

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 09:27 AM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
You coming up to Grattan anytime soon?

Bike is looking great!

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Hope to before the end of the summer. This was my last trip to Grattan on May 2 I rode fine in the rain and then decided to nap in the middle of the track once it started drying.

post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 11:45 AM
BOTM Winner 05/15

LOL. I didn't know they allowed track naps. I could've used one last track weekend.

Is that the lake by the Bus Stop in the background? Were you running counter-clockwise?

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding

Last edited by cbr6racr; 05-30-2014 at 11:48 AM.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Yeah - this was CCW bus stop
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 12:07 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Don't overthink it. If you have the money, get the best possible parts for your bike. Spending money on suspension now may help keep your bike properly planted to the road and may be cheaper than running OEM, and having to replace other parts should you crash.

Now just get more seat time and ride like hell!
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Nice bits for the bike! :)

'07 CBR600RR Track-Only Demon!
Nesba/N2/PRE/TPM/Roger Lyle "A" Group // CCS #306

'08 GSXR 600 Blue ~ Current Bike
'07 Yamaha R6 Blue ~ SOLD
'08 CBR600RR Silver ~ SOLD
'06 Yamaha R6 Black ~ SOLD
'08 GSXR 600 TrackOnly ~ SOLD
'08 GSXR 600 White ~ SOLD
'08 Yamaha R6 ~ SOLD
'07 GSXR 750 ~ SOLD
'12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory ~ Crashed/SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Black ~ SOLD
'09 CBR600RR Phoenix TrackOnly ~SOLD
'09 CBR600RR Red/Black ~SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Blue/Silver ~SOLD
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 07:05 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

85* day? Sounds like it would be too cold to get real heat into those pads. lol stupid AZ heat. You have no excuse not to improve every time you go out there now!

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 04:02 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In a nutshell, unless a piece of equipment is holding you back then don't change it. Part of developing and understanding the bikes and your riding, is what and when to mod. If you can't outride your suspension, then don't change it yet. When it becomes the or (one of) limiting factor then go for it. This way you spend less in one go, and also track and feel the progress you are making. I have a Brembo M/C in my closet which I would love to install, but considering I haven't really gotten into trail braking when improved feel from the M/C is required then it's staying there until I feel the stock one not offering what I need from it. Just a thought.

2011 CBR600RR 'X-Ray' Build Thread
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=294795

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.

Last edited by Rad Rage; 06-02-2014 at 04:04 AM.
post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked View Post
85* day? Sounds like it would be too cold to get real heat into those pads. lol stupid AZ heat. You have no excuse not to improve every time you go out there now!
I agree 100%. I'm not overloading the front tire now under heavy braking or bottoming the rear shock driving out of a corner. It is also amazing how good braking feels when you're not overloading the forks and transferring more work to the tire. I can brake at MY max and still feel how much left the system has for a better rider. That's very confidence inspiring.
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 05:55 PM
BOTM Winner 05/15

You should come out to Grattan and play this weekend.

-Chad

post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

I'm thinking about coming for 4th of July. I am staying local(ish) this weekend and doing 2 days at Blackhawk Farms.
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 07:06 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,056 Times in 860 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Rage View Post
In a nutshell, unless a piece of equipment is holding you back then don't change it. Part of developing and understanding the bikes and your riding, is what and when to mod. If you can't outride your suspension, then don't change it yet. When it becomes the or (one of) limiting factor then go for it. This way you spend less in one go, and also track and feel the progress you are making. I have a Brembo M/C in my closet which I would love to install, but considering I haven't really gotten into trail braking when improved feel from the M/C is required then it's staying there until I feel the stock one not offering what I need from it. Just a thought.
That's one way to look at it, but I am going to disagree with you.

When you go from stock to ohlins the bike feels absolutely different. Same goes for brake upgrades, wheels, controls, weight savings.

Simply because you have elevated the performance ceiling of the bike doesn't mean for a second that it will perform the same as a stock bike when being used at a level below the stock ceiling.

I can guarantee you that if you rode my bike back to back with your own at just a leisurely pace, you wouldn't want to give me mine back. I'm not being arrogant, but the purposeful andwell coordinated upgrades I have done make the bike startlingly better at everything at all times.
post #16 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 02:59 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
That's one way to look at it, but I am going to disagree with you.

When you go from stock to ohlins the bike feels absolutely different. Same goes for brake upgrades, wheels, controls, weight savings.

Simply because you have elevated the performance ceiling of the bike doesn't mean for a second that it will perform the same as a stock bike when being used at a level below the stock ceiling.

I can guarantee you that if you rode my bike back to back with your own at just a leisurely pace, you wouldn't want to give me mine back. I'm not being arrogant, but the purposeful andwell coordinated upgrades I have done make the bike startlingly better at everything at all times.
But I'm talking about a different issue, one from the standpoint of rider development. I will undoubtedly turn in better lap times on your bike (and will enjoy riding it more) than mine, but that is a result of the equipment not my skills. If all the rider wants to achieve is turn in better times regardless of how or why then by all means. Working with stock components until you almost get to their limits and then upgrading to better parts allows you to understand and appreciate the difference in technology and develop a feel for the bike and its limitations. That is why pro riders can tell a difference of 2 psi with their tyres as opposed to novices who can't tell if someone played with their rebound or compression damping.

I prefer to develop rider skill, then develop the equipment when needed.

Co-President of Team46

Last edited by Rad Rage; 06-05-2014 at 02:09 AM.
post #17 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:12 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
To think that one requires lesser equipment to develop greater skill goes against the very foundation of progress in sport. That is a very foolish assumption
post #18 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 07:02 AM
Moto GP Racer

Oh I get it now, so you are incapable of riding stock bikes; you need to mod the shlt out of them with CF wheels and aftermarket suspension so you can ride them.

What's foolish is your inability to understand my point. A testament to my foolish assumption are all the experienced riders who turn in MUCH better lap times on stock bikes compared to newer riders running every mod in the book.

Co-President of Team46

post #19 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

I had a rider weight issue (225 w/gear) that turned into a money spending problem (Ohlins). Other upgrades to the bike besides what I mentioned are Vortex rearsets (me), Optimal fairings (me), ASV shorty (prev owner), Yoshi RS-5 (prev owner).

The brake lines and rearsets I deem mandatory for what I am doing. The bike needs to be adjusted with the rearsets for my best bp and the brakes need to be there with no fade. I have progressed to the point where getting the suspension resprung was mandatory. I think it played a part in my lowside (lost the rear at apex) and I was over loading the front under braking by transferring add'l energy to the tire.

These bikes are INSANELY capable stock and I don't think I could ever say I'd be capable of riding its true limits in that form. Riding it in the way that I am and the direction I want to continue progressing, I believe some adaptations for me are needed. I also love the Yoshi and ASV levers as well though and feel like it makes it more "mine" because its all I've known this bike to have.

Here are a couple videos from Autobahn CC full circuit on Memorial Day. Pay no attention to the out lap in the first vid...too busy thinking about my brake pads and other things. See if you can spot where I peg the rev limiter... I'm headed out for 2 days at Blackhawk Farms this weekend so I should have a really good chance to feel out all the new bits. I'm always better out of the gate on day 2 of back to back.

Last edited by CHINO52405; 06-03-2014 at 08:27 AM.
post #20 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 12:10 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
you're just putting words in my mouth now.

if you prefer to keep your bike worse feeling in hopes that it will make you into a better rider go ahead.
post #21 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 08:22 PM
BOTM Winner 07/16

Lol.. I used the same excuse when getting the Ohlins as well.

Stock suspension was way to heavily sprung for my weight. So might as well go all the way :)

Glad I'm not the only one and glad that I did it as well. Definitely the best improvement on the bike.

Nice vid man...
post #22 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinonz View Post
Lol.. I used the same excuse when getting the Ohlins as well.

Stock suspension was way to heavily sprung for my weight. So might as well go all the way :)

Glad I'm not the only one and glad that I did it as well. Definitely the best improvement on the bike.

Nice vid man...
You have some great pictures in your build thread.

I am really hoping to get a better understanding of the bike (with new suspension) this weekend. I was at this same track just a few weeks ago with the stock suspension and should be able to feel the differences.
post #23 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 01:27 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Rage View Post
Oh I get it now, so you are incapable of riding stock bikes; you need to mod the shlt out of them with CF wheels and aftermarket suspension so you can ride them.

What's foolish is your inability to understand my point. A testament to my foolish assumption are all the experienced riders who turn in MUCH better lap times on stock bikes compared to newer riders running every mod in the book.
I see where he's coming from. Your master cylinder example is perfect. You have this master cylinder just waiting. All its going to do is change lever feel and feedback. Using your stock one isen't making you a better braker. Using the brembo isen't going to make you a better braker either, practice does. The brembo allows you to practice to a level beyond what the stock allows, thats all.
I see people with fully modded bikes all the time at trackdays that aren't very fast. No, you don't need the mods to move at a fast pace. But I don't see how they hinder the development of the rider.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #24 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 01:32 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
I won't call it ignorance, but i think a lot of people that have negative attitudes towards built bikes have never ridden one. The 'you don't use the stock equipment to its full potential' argument is completely invalid, but those who know no different tend to be the ones who express that opinion.

I can't think of too many people who purchased performance parts and regretted it. Yet I can think of countless people who didn't have performance parts who labeled the aforementioned riders as foolish.

So, at the end of the day, who is wrong?

Last edited by wibbly; 06-05-2014 at 01:35 AM.
post #25 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 01:56 AM
BOTM Winner 04/14

Garage
Nobody's wrong in my opinion, both sides have their for and againsts. For example, learning on the stock suspension will require to re-learn some things when the rider upgrades to aftermarket parts. They will also know best what has changed, and knowing how it feels when you are limited by equipment; feeling different feedback from the bike is a valuable experience for beginners/amateurs/hobbyists. On the other hand, why learn on something that will eventually be replaced.

I see the point in both the sides, but out of my experience at the track, Rad's way of thinking is an excellent way of keeping the costs at a minimum, while improving. It could get a very expensive hobby and very fast at that too. So using the OE equipment to a good level before looking at mods is a very good policy to have with a track bike, while also allowing for more experiences that ultimately give the rider the ability to FEEL the difference in the behaviour of the bike. Call me ignorant or a fool lol, but that's my view anyway.
post #26 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 03:51 AM
BOTM Winner 09/15

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To me this discussion is exactly the same as the one regarding against starting on a 600 rather than the more 'traditional' 125 - 250 etc route. You can learn on either and it's more down to your mindset and outlook on how to practice and progress your riding.

You can learn on a stock bike or a modified bike just as well in my opinion. Admittedly, the capabilities of the stock 600RR is far better than the riding ability of most people, but if you're just looking to enjoy your riding and not trying to stretch every last tenth out of your lap time then do what you want to your bike to improve how it feels to you.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

You only go as fast as you twist the throttle.

My build thread: https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=302170

www.carbon-hut.co.uk
post #27 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 AM
World Superbike Racer

But the argument does beg the question of how so you know something either is better, or could be better, or is hindering your growth unless you try something new? I see both sides, but agree that go-fast parts, the right parts not the fake CF mod stuff, do not "need" to be in the hands of a top level rider in only a racing format to be beneficial.

No reason to let good parts sit on a shelf because you think you're not worthy. The only real way to know if something is not working for you is to try something else; maybe what you thought was fine isn't. On my last bike I had a full Ohlin's setup and honestly it felt controlled more so on the street at a lesser pace than at the track at full pace.

Mike
post #28 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Going faster, more safely and confidently, at the track is my main concern. If upgrades will help me reach that goal, I'm all about them.

The very first thing I noticed with my suspension upgrade was how few things were going on in heavy braking zones. Prior to my upgrade, I would have to wait for the bike to settle before tip in which required me to extend my braking zones OR rush into a corner before I was able to be fully committed. These are not good things. I am smooth with my blips and my suspension confirms this for me. But despite even brake pressure during shifts, my softer front forks would uncompress slightly and upset balance. I don't want to tip into a corner with the front forks fully compressed or with the suspension still travelling.
post #29 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
But the argument does beg the question of how so you know something either is better, or could be better, or is hindering your growth unless you try something new? I see both sides, but agree that go-fast parts, the right parts not the fake CF mod stuff, do not "need" to be in the hands of a top level rider in only a racing format to be beneficial.

No reason to let good parts sit on a shelf because you think you're not worthy. The only real way to know if something is not working for you is to try something else; maybe what you thought was fine isn't. On my last bike I had a full Ohlin's setup and honestly it felt controlled more so on the street at a lesser pace than at the track at full pace.

Mike
I never said that go-fast parts, need only be in the hands of a top level rider in only a racing format to be beneficial. I invested quite a bit in CMC rotors, same rotors wibbly has (it's funny he claims I have an ill view of built bikes). My view is one of progression; I'm all for putting performance mods on a street bike for those capable of utilizing said parts.

Co-President of Team46

post #30 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Moto GP Racer

There's something to be said for both sides of that.

Is it beneficial for someone to go out and buy a brembo the first day he tries a trackday? Probably not...

However, to counter that... Riding a bike to a level with certain equipment to then change that equipment a long time later means the rider will have to RE-learn how to ride.

If you spend 2 years riding with an OEM master, to then change to the Brembo, everything changes... You braking marker changes, it changes your turn in, how you entry speed feels. It CAN alter you gearing, suspension, etc.... as a result.

So waiting to hit some "level" before changing isn't beneficial either.

There's definitely a compromise between "cost/benefit" in these decisions.

"at 8k i often get the tire to slip a bit(kinda like stoner in motogp) when i start to get on the throttle"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page