Authbahn Country Club 8/2/14 - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Authbahn Country Club 8/2/14

What's up everyone. I just booked by very first track day at Autobahn Country Club on 8/2/14. Wondering if anyone else from here will be there? My goal is to be safe, not lay the bike down and have some fun. Not looking to break any track records or anything. Being my first track day, I have a couple questions and looking for tips from the pros (Yes I have read this guide)

1. I have a 4WD Silverado so I can put the bike in the bed of it. But it is too high to get the bike in and out by myself. My question is how are the guys at the track? Are they friendly and willing to help a fellow rider unload/load the bike or should I spend the money and rent a trailer?

2. What kind of clothing should I wear underneath the suit?

3. Can I tape the headlights up with blue painters tape or is there a certain kind of tape I need to use? I am going to take off the turn signals, brake lights, reflectors & mirrors.

Any other advise you can give a track noob?

2001 CBR 600F4i - Sold
2007 CBR 600RR - Pure Awesomeness

Last edited by R Dub; 07-08-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Hey man - congrats, it should be a blast. STT is a great org and ACC North is a fun track.

1. Ask for help and you will absolutely have it. Most people will ask you as they see you get ready to unload.

2. I prefer tight under armour type of things to avoid them getting heavy with sweat or sticking to my leathers.

3. Blue painters tape is the way to go.

I won't be there because I broke my hand at Road America last week :( Have fun, ask questions, make friends. The track is an awesome place.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 11:56 AM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Chino, why did you go ahead and do something like that? Hope you heal quick. How's the bike?

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 12:01 PM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Oh, and everything Chino said is spot on. All the STT guys and gals are very helpful. Don't be afraid to ask for help, with either on or off track issues/questions/concerns.

Have fun, and pick out your street corner and fishnets now, because you'll be trying to fund this addiction any way possible.

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6racr View Post
Chino, why did you go ahead and do something like that? Hope you heal quick. How's the bike?
Bike is good except the furthest back bolt of my vortex rearset on the right side ripped itself out of the frame and took the part of the frame with the threads with it. So that will need a solution and a weld.

I basically had to crash after running wide exiting the carousel. I exited the track surface rider's left at ~100 and the next turn is a 90 degree left hander. There were 2 riders in the braking zone and I was oing to cross the track perpendicular...no good. So I gave it more rear brake than I knew I could handle and hoped for the best. Result was a nasty off-road highside prob around 60 mph or so...don't think I could have scrubbed that much speed but the crash didn't seem too high speed. Either way, I got off lucky.

THE LESSON: skip the first session if you feel rushed. I went through the checklist and had all my gear on and tire pressures set, but didn't have time for my pre-grid morning session chanting of "eyes down track, look through the turns." I always find myself lacking there in early sessions and this time it bit me by running wide when I had no business doing so riding at the pace I was.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 12:47 PM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Jeez. Glad it wasn't worse. Heal up!

-Chad

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Chino - Thanks for the advise. Hope you heal up quickly.

I will load the bike up in my truck and ask for help at the track to unload/load it back up. I do have compression stuff so I will wear that. We are painting our new house right now I have tons of blue painters tape lying around.

Any other tips/advise anyone can give. I want to learn and be prepared as much as possible to avoid any surprises.

2001 CBR 600F4i - Sold
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

Garage
If you have:

- American Tape
- Spare pegs
- Spare Levers

Take em!

A silly low side can be solved with only that and get you back on the track!

Also, talk with people, try to learn from them... Specially if they did that same track before, it'll save you some time.

I also normally take a printed map of the track as to mark stuff like where to begin the turn, where to exit.... etc... it comes in handy!

Honda CBR600RR 2003 - Gone! (the blond)

Honda CBR600RR 2007 - On the road! (the brunette)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 02:37 PM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Assuming your starting in Novice with STT, just go in with an open mind. I don't know your riding experience, but the guys in novice that have the most issues are the guys that go out thinking they know all because they have ridden street for 5+ and feel like the drills and coaching is useless. STT has a great Novice program,

Feel free to pick your instructors brain for their knowledge on everything from body position, lines, markers, etc. They are all very helpful, and willing to work with you.

Also, the 7-10 days beforehand, drink a lot of water and get a lot of sleep. Your body will need it. You will be drenched in sweat, and just drinking a bottle of water the morning of won't replenish what you lose.

Wear sunscreen, even if you have a canopy. Your neck will be raw from sunburn and rubbing on your suit if you don't, and it gets painful. Another little tip which some guys don't like to do, but I love, is to get out of your suit as soon as your session is done. No point in sitting in hot, sticky gear. Let your legs cool off, take your boots off, relax. You have 40 minutes until your next session, and it only takes 10 minutes to gear up, so take that half hour and cool down. Also, bring a couple pair of socks. Personally, I wear knee high socks to avoid chaffing, but I swap out socks at least 3-4 times to keep my feet from getting swamping.

Final note, this is your first day of what will become many track days. No point in wadding up your bike at the end of the day because your tired or trying to win the track day. You will be surprised at how much it'll take out of you, and once you start getting fatigued, mentally and physically, don't hesitate to pull off for a session, or part of one. Heck, I have skipped the last session of the weekend due to being tired.

The only trophy you get from a track day is going home with a shiny bike ready for the next track day.

-Chad

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Awesome advise. This is the kind of stuff that I'm looking for. I was planning on bringing a cooler full of water/Gatorade. Good call on the sun screen and socks, didn't even think about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6racr View Post
The only trophy you get from a track day is going home with a shiny bike ready for the next track day.
I couldn't agree more with this I've been riding street for 5 years on grew up on dirtbikes so I would say a I am decent and safe rider but by no means am I great. My goal is to learn some new things and become a better rider and keep the rubber side down, fun will be a by-product of that.

2001 CBR 600F4i - Sold
The Following User Says Thank You to R Dub For This Useful Post:
CHINO52405 (07-08-2014)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I grew up on dirt too and it helps your comfort level a lot IMO.

Another thing: always make sure your head is focused and watch your attention level the first session after lunch. Everyone is full and energy is being diverted to digestion. It may sound trivial, but what you have for lunch will impact more than how your stomach feels.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 06:53 PM
BOTM Winner 05/15

I grew up on dirt as well. It helps tremendously when the bike starts to move around under you, which is common place on dirt.

Another little tip, a hand towel soaked in water and left in ice when you go out for your session will work wonders on reducing your core temps once you get off the bike.

-Chad

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Another question for you guys. How much gas should I bring? Will a full tank in the bike be enough or should I bring another 5 gallon can?

2001 CBR 600F4i - Sold
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Also Should I leave the passenger pegs on or take them off? If they are off the rear brake reservoir is not protected. Is that okay?

2001 CBR 600F4i - Sold

Last edited by R Dub; 08-01-2014 at 12:38 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Pocketbike Racer

How'd it go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page