track day or race school? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
track day or race school?

Hi everyone i am a new member from wisconsin. I have been riding for a year now, went through msf and want to learn more. I live near blackhawk farms raceway, anyone familiar with it? ive been wanting to do a track day there but my friend tells me i should just start by going through their learning curves race school program because then i will have instructors out there to critique me and help me learn properly. Sounds great but wanted a couple more opinions. Should i go straight into race school or should i start with a couple of track days to get comfortable being on the track first? i am a little nervous about either route, i know i am going to be a turtle my first few times out there but i am already getting sick of the hazardous streets and want a safe place to ride and learn, and the track is where my bike belongs anyways. Plus then i will be riding in a positive environment with other riders who are into the sport, not their image (like all the harley riders i am surrounded by around here who are too cool to even wave to me) I just got a new better paying job so i should soon be able to afford to get addicted. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback i get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Too short to drag knee.

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
FI, from what I am reading in your post, you have the correct attitude about taking on this challenge. I would suggest starting with Trackdays as there is no competition it's a safe place for you to learn to become a better rider. Pick an organization that has a reputation/reviews that cater towards a street rider wanting to become better vs others who have 'fast/racers'. Not that one is better than the other but you'll get your money/time/efforts to be more valuable when going at a slower pace especially first year of doing trackdays.

EDIT - Also, this is a VERY slippery slope, I hope that new job of yours allows you to eat something better than Top Ramen because mine doesn't.

LRRS/CCS AM #521

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have a couple friends from that area that have gone through learning curves and thought it was a great course.

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 05:50 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I did both track days and then a riding school at my local track. I would do a couple track days first to get rather more comfortable with track riding, you will be slow and sloppy but who cares. I was glad I had that experience before attending the school, so I could focus less on where the track goes and more on technique.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thank you for the replies, I think I will start with a track day to get acclimated with being on the track. I will just try to get in with the slow group. Mainly just want to be able to learn at my own pace without pissing people off
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 06:30 PM
BOTM Winner 07/16

I've never done a race school but plenty of track days.

If I have the money, I would do race school first. It lessen the chance of picking up bad habits that's hard to get rid off.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thats a good point too rinonz thanks, I would think I would pick up those bad habits extra quick too being left alone on a track. could end up being backwards progress. Better think on this some more

Last edited by forced induction; 07-28-2014 at 06:41 PM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 06:43 PM
BOTM Winner 09/15

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Definitely do a trackday first, just to get used to how the flow of a circuit works and to get used to looking at what's coming up and not thinking about your speed. There will be plenty of people at a trackday to talk to about lines etc. then, once you're not so nervous about going out on track, you'll be in a much better place to really benefit from a race school where you can earn better technique and where you need to improve.

Remember, smoothness is all you want to focus on to begin with. Everyone has started slow and so should you, concentrate on being smooth and everything else will follow in time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

You only go as fast as you twist the throttle.

My build thread: https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=302170

www.carbon-hut.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Buckley.S For This Useful Post:
forced induction (07-29-2014)
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 06:48 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I was going to say just go to the school and than trackday. But I have never been to either....yet lol
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Definitely do a trackday first, just to get used to how the flow of a circuit works and to get used to looking at what's coming up and not thinking about your speed. There will be plenty of people at a trackday to talk to about lines etc. then, once you're not so nervous about going out on track, you'll be in a much better place to really benefit from a race school.
another good point I cant really expect them to teach me to run if I haven't taught myself how to crawl. Really appreciate the feedback guys.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
EDIT - Also, this is a VERY slippery slope, I hope that new job of yours allows you to eat something better than Top Ramen because mine doesn't.
I think I can upgrade to shells n cheese now but I will always have a spot in my heart for Ramen. Unfortunately most of the raise I got for the new job apparently went to the government, I think I got put into a higher tax bracket or something, just got my first check and they really took a lot!
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 07:19 PM
World Superbike Racer

I was lucky enough to have a professional racer show me around the track when I started. He spends a lot of time with me every track day we meet up and work on different aspects every time. That being said, if I were to do it all over again, I would take a course first.

There's a lot to take in when you're first starting out and having someone help you along the way is never a bad idea.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

That would be awesome to go out there with a pro. I was reading about the jason pridemore star racing school. Really expensive but if I had that kind of money I would do it for sure. Sounds like he reserves a whole track so its just you and him out there.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

That would be awesome to go out there with a pro. I was reading about the jason pridemore star racing school. Really expensive but if I had that kind of money I would do it for sure. Sounds like he reserves a whole track so its just you and him out there.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Woops my bad on the duplicate dont know how I pulled that off
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:26 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced induction View Post
i did jason pridmore's star school and it helped me alot on my riding. like stated above learn the track first before you do the school.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:42 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Track day first. Race school is a waste if you're not already acclimated.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:07 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
Track day first. Race school is a waste if you're not already acclimated.
I agree 100%, get used to the track and then go get better with instructor.

I'm following the same path myself.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 05:00 PM
BOTM Winner 07/16

The one that I found most beneficial is find a local racer that's willing to show you lines on the track and follow you for a couple of laps to critique.

You learn a lot from following people.

And no matter what, talk to people on the track as much as you can; you'll find gems of tips but always take everything with a grain of salt.
The Following User Says Thank You to rinonz For This Useful Post:
forced induction (07-29-2014)
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Looks like majority rules in favor of track day so that is what I am going to do, thanks again everyone i will let ya know how it goes. I will try and shoot some video so you guys can critique me too. My friend even offered to let me use his race bike so I dont have to worry about dumping my brand new one that I still owe $8,000 for. I doubt insurance covers damage that happens at a track. Not that I wont try my best not to dump his. Only concern with that is his bike is a cbr1000. Going by how fast my 600 is im thinking his thou will scare the crap out of me at 1st which would just be one more distraction from focusing on my lines. He tries to say theyre not much different but thats not hardly possible.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 12:26 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I came late but I would highly suggest the track performance riding school first, so that you can rule out bad habits and learn only what they tell you, like others said. This is the best way to go about getting to the track I think.

I end up getting irritated with the riders at the track who have never done some type of instruction and are all over the track. It is safer for you and for other riders to actually learn that style of riding before trying it on your own, no matter how fast a rider you think you are.

Getting to your first track day is a big step though, its all addiction after that :D

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=394793

Black And Gold!
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Pocketbike Racer

BFR is a fantastic bike track. I have done all of my days at BFR with Midwest trackdays and have gotten awesome coaching - better than some other groups I've ridden with.

Do a trackday. Have zero ego or expectations. Meet as many people as you can - the track is a friendly place. Ask for coaching and feedback, they're always happy to help.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 02:30 PM
BOTM Winner 07/14

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
When you get serious contact Jason Farrell at http://www.farrellperformance.com/ Noone knows Blackhawk better than Jason.

Vortex, Tucker Rocky, Speed & Strength, BikeMaster, E4S
Cafe Racer Inc.
Tornado Bait Racing
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Knee Dragger

It's all downhill from here man! I had never been on a track before, did the MARRC roadrace school, got my CCS license and was in races the next day. It's all about how comfortable you are with speed. If you want to get your feet wet, track day. If you want to dive in head first, do the school. The school instructors will show you the lines when you go out. Following someone faster is a beautiful way to build speed you did not know you could go.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So much awesome feedback this is great guys thanks again. My plan is to do one track day to get comfortable and learn the track (humbled not cocky style) and then head to race school for proper training. Super excited cant wait. Just need to order a couple things for my all stock bike, mainly frame sliders, other than that I think my stock cbr will be plenty capable for my skill level? Also remembered i still need leather pants! And thanks for the contact tornado! I will definetly call that guy as soon as im ready to go. (sometime this month)
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Knee Dragger

You have boots, gloves, leathers?

Gonna have to safety wire a few bolts and components.

Tape up your lights.

If you're running street tires, take it easy on them. Depending on what they are, Street tires reach their limit quickly on the track.

Have a backup plan for departure in case you are riding to and from. Never know what might happen.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach954 View Post

Gonna have to safety wire a few bolts and components.

Have a backup plan for departure in case you are riding to and from. Never know what might happen.
Safety wiring is usually (check the track) reserved for racers only, and is only a courtesy for track riders.

I would never ride my bike to a trackday and can't recommend that to anyone -get your bike transported there.

Important question: is the 'race school' a Racing Orientation and Training program to prep someone to be licensed and enter a racing league, or is just a name for a track school? There is a difference and you will be wasting your time if you go to a race prep course without the intentions of racing.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinonz View Post
I've never done a race school but plenty of track days.

If I have the money, I would do race school first. It lessen the chance of picking up bad habits that's hard to get rid off.
This depends on the Trackday organization. Most of them will have good instructors/Control riders that will help you correct any bad habits you have.

Race school is different than a trackday. You definitely want to have a few trackdays under your belt before you take on a Race school. IIRC Race schools are also more expensive, about 2-3x more than a trackday.
I have a few friends that did race school and they said it costs like $700 in my area, where as Trackdays are around $200.

You want to be at least in Group B/Intermediate or faster before you do Race school IMO. With trackdays you are still learning how to ride a track, with Race school you are learning how to race. Big difference.

Personally I wouldn't do Race School until you are in Group A/Expert with Trackdays.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 03:33 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You've already made your mind up, and I agree because we are talking just a few trackdays not 6 month's worth so you won't really get a chance to develop bad habits that will be difficult to break. Just getting use to being on a track after a few outings will be all you need I think. Then, hello race school!

Good luck.

2011 CBR600RR 'X-Ray' Build Thread
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=294795

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 11:36 PM
Pocketbike Racer

CSS was my first trackday and it was awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page