California Superbike School Review - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
California Superbike School Review

I want to start going to the track. I've been riding on and off for 10 years now on the street. I've never been on a track. Some of my friends told me to just jump in and do it. I was debating on doing that, but there are so many variables in riding that i figured taking some sort of class could only be beneficial. Plus, like anything in life, it would be more enjoyable and safe if you know what you are doing. so instead of jumping on a track and risking my life, other rider's life, and my newly rebuilt bike..i decided to take the CSS course.

There are four levels or a 2 day course.

So I believe the difference between the level 1-4 and the two day course is the latter is levels 1-4 crammed in two days. I feel that taking the level one is a lot of info to absorb as is. The 2 day is doable, but may be information overload. I decided to take the level 1 to see if i like it and then continue on. I'm going to practice what I learned and come back for following levels.

For a little review.

Food and refreshments

They provide breakfast and lunch. Food was pretty good, but more importantly, they provided all the ice cold water and soft drinks you can down. I must have drank 2 gallons throughout the day.

The Gear:

YOu can rent full gear or partial. they require Full 1 or 2 piece suit with back protector, full boots, gloves, and helmet. I had everything except for the suit.

The Bike:

I choose to use their bike as opposed to my newly rebuilt bike. They have BMW SR1000RR. I wasn't sure at first about the liter bike, but after the first lap, it felt natural. It is much more comfortable than my 600rr.

The classroom:

The class is well organized and the staff knows their ****. It was taught by Keith Code's son and another older gentlemen. Normally Keith himself would be there but he was in China doing a course this past weekend. I hope to catch him next time.. You get one coach for every three students. My coach was awesome and was very keen on breaking down and teaching me how to correct my screw ups..He is a gentleman by the name of Damien Mackey or Mackie? It's structured in 20 minute blocks. 20 min classroom, then 20 min break, then 20 min riding with the coach. First, he is following you then after watching you, he has you follow him and his lines. After the ride, you have a one on one to discussion with the coach to go over what you did right, what you did wrong and how you can improve. This cycle occurs five times for five different subjects. the subjects for level 1 was throttle control, turn points, quick turn in, relaxing your hands, 2 step.

at first, i wasn't so sure if it was going to help much. but after the fifth subject, everything tied in together and it all made sense. the last time out after the classroom subject of 2 step, i ran the fastest (felt like) and smoothest laps all day. My turn ins felt precise and i was able to carry a lot more speed. i no longer felt nervous approaching turns.

all in all, i had a blast and i recommend anyone who is considering track education to take this course.

Thank you CSS and Damien Mackey, my coach.

Last edited by silvergs; 09-15-2014 at 05:08 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silvergs For This Useful Post:
CNI Dawg (01-23-2015), DoomCue (09-21-2014), vr4playa (09-15-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 07:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thanks for the review. I missed last year's CSS at VIR, and had to pay for a wedding this year, so if they run it again at VIR next year, I'm going to do everything I can to make it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomCue View Post
Thanks for the review. I missed last year's CSS at VIR, and had to pay for a wedding this year, so if they run it again at VIR next year, I'm going to do everything I can to make it.
congrats on the wedding. you should definitely try to make it if you can. its worth every penny imo. i believe they have a set schedule and they do the same tracks every year.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 01:55 AM
Knee Dragger

The two day course covers 2 levels, not 4. It's one day per level.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpatch View Post
The two day course covers 2 levels, not 4. It's one day per level.

then it makes even more sense to do the levels separately. so if you do the 2 day course, you have to take level 3 and 4 separately?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 04:34 AM
Knee Dragger

There are two main differences between a two day camp and a single day session.
The student/teacher ratio is 2/1 for two day camps vs. 3/1 for single day session.
Two day camps add equipment such as the slide bike, which might not be offered at single day events.

As far as completing the 4 levels - you can do it many ways. For example: you could take a single day course for level 1. Then call the school, set up a two day camp for levels 2 and 3. Then do another two day camp where you do two days of level 4.

What I'm trying to say is that these guys are great at being flexible and getting you into class! If you have questions, just call the office and they'll figure it out for you.

I enjoyed their classes so much that I went through the four levels and the racing school. It's top-notch instruction!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 06:01 AM
Training Wheel Hero

This course is absolutly great! the steps are fluid and full of very solid information and the coaches help a ton, both on and off the track. I did levels 1-2 in a 2 day camp last year (2013) and had planned on doing levels 3-4 this year but got deployed. I will definitly be taking them again in 2015 though.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice feedback man. I really went to get to a school ASAP too and was tossing up between CSS and the Ron Haslam school.
CSS is pricey!!! lol.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj24v View Post
Nice feedback man. I really went to get to a school ASAP too and was tossing up between CSS and the Ron Haslam school.
CSS is pricey!!! lol.
thanks. call them and ask for a discount. they gave me one. I havent heard of Ron haslam school, is it pretty comparable?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpatch View Post
There are two main differences between a two day camp and a single day session.
The student/teacher ratio is 2/1 for two day camps vs. 3/1 for single day session.
Two day camps add equipment such as the slide bike, which might not be offered at single day events.

As far as completing the 4 levels - you can do it many ways. For example: you could take a single day course for level 1. Then call the school, set up a two day camp for levels 2 and 3. Then do another two day camp where you do two days of level 4.

What I'm trying to say is that these guys are great at being flexible and getting you into class! If you have questions, just call the office and they'll figure it out for you.

I enjoyed their classes so much that I went through the four levels and the racing school. It's top-notch instruction!

Great clarification :) There are a few more differences between the two day camp and the single day format schools, namely that in the two day camp you get 7 riding sessions vs 5, more access to off track training bikes, video review and there are less students on track at any one time. Plus the two day camps include breakfast and lunch and are run on school bikes not bring your own :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj24v View Post
CSS is pricey!!! lol.
It's worth it! :) But there are different price points for the school as well. For example you can do a single day with the school on your own bike at Streets of Willow for as little as $390. Pretty reasonable considering the amount of instruction you receive.

I've been coaching with the school for over 10 years now so if you have any questions about any of the techniques that are taught or any of the formats of the school please let me know and I'll do my best to answer!

Cheers!!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 12:18 PM
Wei
Training Wheel Hero

I took level one a few years ago in NJ, it was raining so we didn't get as much practice as we'd liked.

As for the course, I think it's great. I was more advance in my riding than level one, but everyone must start from level one. I wish I took it when I started track riding, definitely learned a lot from the course.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 10:17 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Can someone who's gotten the discount please shoot me a PM with how much they paid? (assuming you don't mind sharing the info.) I'd like to take one of these classes and would like to figure out what the damage is lol.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 10:45 PM
Knee Dragger

Discount? I've done all levels but have never heard of California Superbike School discounts. I'm interested to know what it takes to qualify for it.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 02:53 AM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Thanks for taking the time and making this review. Hopefully this year I can track my bike.

08 Ninja 250R Track prepared
96 Miata track prepared
98 Q45T V8
07 Rabbit 2.5L 5 cylinder 6sp Tiptronic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page