First track day got some questions - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First track day got some questions

So im looking to do my first track day, ive read a multitude of first track day posts but no one has seemed to touch on these topics, what exactly do i do when i show up, do you unload in the parking lot and ride ur bikes up to the track or is their a separate space for vehicles and bikes for riders near the track, also what all do i need to bring, i have all the basic necessities (tent, air compressor, generator, grill) i just dont want to go overboard and show up w/ stuff not needed, also the "local track" is about 20 mintues from my house is it worth getting a trailer or just making the bike street legal it has a clean title just would need a few parts to make it legal again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 05:59 PM
Knee Dragger

All the track people I've spoke with are very friendly. Ask them.
Also the workers at the tracks I've been to are also friendly, call and ask questions. You are paying them.

I fortunately have friends that track so I just follow their lead.

this place is full of trolls-
EAD.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

ya ive looked on the website for the track nearest to me and its all auto stuff no real info on motorcycle so i figured ill try and go their if they have any more events as a spectator for a day

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 08:49 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I can't imagine it would be any different between tracks but the general idea is to find your way to the pit area. You can park your car/trailer there. I like to park close to my bike.

As far as the trailer goes, if you have it, use it. Things aren't always rosy at the track and crashes happen. It would be easier to get yourself home when or if you crash.

As already mentioned, people at the track are usually very friendly. So don't hesitate to ask questions. There's always someone willing to lend a hand.

Here's a quick list of the things I take to the track:
1. Gear - suit, boots, gloves, helmet and under gear to keep me cool.
2. Gasoline - Usually two 20L cans but realistically, I only use one.
3. Generator + warmers
4. Basic tool kit
5. I pack my lunch, too much effort to grill something trackside
6. Cooler full of snacks, water, gatorade. I usually grab a 12 pack of water, 6 pack of gatorade and some red bull to get the adrenaline going.
7. Lawn chairs to relax between sessions

Most importantly, it's important that you go in with a positive attitude. Don't push yourself too hard, spend some time learning the lines and don't worry about going fast right away. Be smooth and speed will come.

Here's a picture of the pit area at the track i frequent, you can see some cars behind the wall, that's where I usually park:

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina View Post
I can't imagine it would be any different between tracks but the general idea is to find your way to the pit area. You can park your car/trailer there. I like to park close to my bike.

As far as the trailer goes, if you have it, use it. Things aren't always rosy at the track and crashes happen. It would be easier to get yourself home when or if you crash.

As already mentioned, people at the track are usually very friendly. So don't hesitate to ask questions. There's always someone willing to lend a hand.

Here's a quick list of the things I take to the track:
1. Gear - suit, boots, gloves, helmet and under gear to keep me cool.
2. Gasoline - Usually two 20L cans but realistically, I only use one.
3. Generator + warmers
4. Basic tool kit
5. I pack my lunch, too much effort to grill something trackside
6. Cooler full of snacks, water, gatorade. I usually grab a 12 pack of water, 6 pack of gatorade and some red bull to get the adrenaline going.
7. Lawn chairs to relax between sessions

Most importantly, it's important that you go in with a positive attitude. Don't push yourself too hard, spend some time learning the lines and don't worry about going fast right away. Be smooth and speed will come.

Here's a picture of the pit area at the track i frequent, you can see some cars behind the wall, that's where I usually park:

Agree 100%. Track riding kicks ass. I like having video (of me) too. Great way to see how your BP is etc.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 09:05 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,058 Times in 861 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A lot of tracks won't allow bikes with coolant on the racing surface. Look into that, you may have to flush your rad and fill with water and water wetter.

May also need to tape your lights.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Agree 100%. Track riding kicks ass. I like having video (of me) too. Great way to see how your BP is etc.
Not only with body position, but your mistakes are magnified and it gives you a better idea of what you need to work on the next time out. Things like proper corner entry, throttle input, etc. I was grateful to have some video on my buddy's SD card. It really is a great tool.

+1 on the coolant, no tracks up here will allow. I have water/water wetter in mine and the only time I'll change to coolant is for storage.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks I actually have a go pro ill mount it up to check my bp for my first event, and ya the bikes already track ready fluid wise
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Subbed, ditto on first time
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Paddock/parking etc will all depend on what track you're going to. All of the tracks I've ridden (Road America, Grattan, ACC, Blackhawk) all are set up so you pit where you park.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basslake20 View Post
So im looking to do my first track day, ive read a multitude of first track day posts but no one has seemed to touch on these topics, what exactly do i do when i show up, do you unload in the parking lot and ride ur bikes up to the track or is their a separate space for vehicles and bikes for riders near the track, also what all do i need to bring, i have all the basic necessities (tent, air compressor, generator, grill) i just dont want to go overboard and show up w/ stuff not needed, also the "local track" is about 20 mintues from my house is it worth getting a trailer or just making the bike street legal it has a clean title just would need a few parts to make it legal again?

You're over thinking this. When you get there it will become clear to you where to park and where to meet for a riders meeting or whatever they do at your track.

Get a trailer. Theres no way you'll be able to haul all the gear you need up there riding on the bike. Plus you might crash. Plus, if you do it right, you will NOT want to ride home after a track day. You will be dog tired beat. I highly suggest you go with a friend or someone you know in case something happens. Post up on your local forum and meet someone before you go out there. People do get hurt out there.

I agree with Mina's list as well. DONT FORGET TO BRING YOUR KEY FOR THE MOTORCYCLE!!!!! I also like to bring lawn chairs and a little speaker for jams in b/w sessions.

Ride your own ride. This means don't chase faster riders or try to show off for the instructors - trust me, you will not impress them. Take it slow and smooth and pick up your pace slowly.

EDIT: I hope you're bank account is sufficiently large, because you're going to get addicted to riding track. You've been warned.

Last edited by Rgswol; 09-30-2014 at 02:35 PM.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgswol View Post

EDIT: I hope you're bank account is sufficiently large, because you're going to get addicted to riding track. You've been warned.

This

10char

this place is full of trolls-
EAD.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

i wasnt trying to over think it i just picked up the bike to late in the season to do my first track day and was interested for sh*** and giggles but ya a trailer will have to be my option because my trucks lifted lol, the plus is the bikes wired for no ignition and ya i have a decent sized bank acount im young and have a great job so let the fun begin
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 04:55 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Get a track buddy. You don't need to be in the same group, but if you pit with someone/a group, you all get to share resources and hang out. I find it really helps.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 09:33 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i like going and talking to everyone there. usually by the end of the day your making plans to meet up the next time back at the track

'12 CBR1000RR - Streets
'09 ZX6R - Track only

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

for sure hopefully ill be able to get out there before the seasons over, its getting cold by me quick but i got the bike all the maintenance and mechanical gear all i need is a full set of gear (which ive already picked out) i just thought maybe some new 2015 gear will start rolling out so i should wait or was this a dumb thought?
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 PM
World Superbike Racer

I just came home from what I think was my last track of the year. I'll shed some light on another angle that hasn't been discussed. It is very important that you get a good night's sleep. Don't ride if you feel like you're tired/stressed. I made plenty of mistakes today and almost binned it on a couple of occasions. Called it quits after my 3rd session, still bummed out about it because it was a perfect day for riding.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Moto GP Racer

While protective gear has had some cool innovations lately, for the most part it's a cosmetic/fashion thing from year to year - don't let that stop you (and in fact, if you're set on buying new, closeouts are the way to go.)

Drinking then getting 3 hours sleep tends to be a pre trackday ritual of mine, but I oddly gain stamina throughout the day. But yeah, you gotta feel right to concentrate.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

alright well the only thing i havnt picked out or really know anything about is back protectors im getting the alpinestars motegi suit any recommendations w/ that suit?

Last edited by Basslake20; 10-03-2014 at 03:50 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Moto GP Racer

Alpinestars suits have a series of snaps in the back that will connect to their back protectors, which is nice because that means you don't have to have the shoulder straps.

Look for the back protectors with the snap button on top. http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...back-protector
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Moto GP Racer

I personally use a Force Field BP, very flexible and CE level 2.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...-kevlar-l2-evo
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I was so excited for my first trackday I barely slept lol. Come to think of it, my 2nd trackday was the same. Hopefully my next one will be better.

Also will you be going on the novice group? I brought extra gas with me but at the end of the day I didn't end up using it it (too slow i guess lol). It's a good backup if you bring some extra but if it's your first time you probably won't use up all of your fuel.

Good luck!

www.youtube.com/halohalos

Knox jeans 30" for sale! 2 available. Black and blue
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

ya im sure ill be going in the beginner group, and i already have all gear wise taken care of, air gauge, compressor, race fuel jugs, tools and extras so im pretty much all preped out besides this stupid IL cold weather
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Training Wheel Hero

You should find a forum of the riders that do the track days and log on there. Dont worry about bringing too much, thats fine, its not enuff stuff that will sting you.

Bring all the basics but overstock on water and gatorade. (drink gator even if you dont like it, the electrollytes will keep your brain and body sharp). Bring basic tools, tons of duct tape and zip ties.

Read up on coolant requirements. Remove your mirrors even if not required. Ask lots of questions from more experienced riders. Dont go nuts on track time early in the day. Most new track riders pitch it away early due to cooler temps.

Also newbies tend to exhaust themselves early in the day and either crap out or crash from fatugue later.

The race is ONLY against the track. Learn the track first THEN start to wick up the pace. When in doubt, don't. You dont know anything but neither do almost all the other guys. Just do what is comfortable.

Your maind reason to do this is FUN so be sure to have some. Pushing your limits is very foolish and stupid on a first track day. (as well as dangerous). You are trying to learn how to do it right, crashing wont teach you anything but how to do it very wrong.

Bring everything you might need since once your there its unlikely you can leave to go get stuff.

Ride at a pace that you can stay relaxed, being tense worsens every aspect of riding. Take a couple laps to let your tires warm and scrub in. Try to maintain increasing lean angles. Dont just lean far on the 3rd lap since you will now be on new cold rubber.

This is my advise after 14yrs of racing and instructing.
The Following User Says Thank You to smokinjoe73 For This Useful Post:
TribalCBR06 (10-23-2014)
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

ya i mean its my first event so all i want to do the first day is memorize the track which im already like failry familiary w/ just from watching youtube videos of turns but i bought a track dedicated bike mirrors r off, its saftey wired, coolants toped off, oil just changed, front forks re done, just needs to be re sprung to my weight
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 12:46 AM
Moto GP Racer

Some good advice already posted. You will have a blast for sure.

Make it your goal to bring your bike home the way it came in =]. Listen to your instructors and make them your best friend; they are there to help and teach you.

Remember "slow is smooth, smooth is fast". So take it easy out there have fun and be safe.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page