First Track Day @ Little Tally - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
First Track Day @ Little Tally

So I have my first track day coming up next Monday at Little Talladega (Talladega Gran Prix Raceway). It's going to be a private track day that the guys over at the MV forum setup with only 16~18 riders as of right now. So I expect to get a ton of track time and be able to go at my own pace and hopefully learn a lot about body position. As of right now our schedule looks like this:

Schedule:
Schedule: (Gates Open at 7:00am)
Registration – 7:45am-8:00am
Tech Inspection – 8:00am-8:20am
Riders’ Meeting – 8:30am
20 Minute Sessions: 9:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-5:00pm (Order: ADV, INT, NOV)

Probably 95% of the bikes are going to be MV Agusta's (F4, F3, Brutales). I plan on taking both the Brutale and CBR. I want to focus on my riding with the CBR to determine whether or not I want to make it into strictly a track bike. I'm going to have my Go Pro with me and setup on the CBR at least so expect some pictures and videos to follow.

One of the non MV riders will be Elena Myers who has done some professional AMA racing. Also, Brian Stokes who is the owner of Jason Dislavo's riding school will be there so I am hoping to pick their brains a bit. Wish me luck!

'07 CBR 600rr
'11 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
Build Thread-Come on, do it! DO IT! What are you waiting for!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Did an oil change on the Brutale this week as a prep for the track. Both bikes have had a coolant flush. Just need to tape up the lights and remove the license plate on the Brutale.

'07 CBR 600rr
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

The CBR is ready to roll

'07 CBR 600rr

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:36 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice! You'll have a blast and your CBR might just your new track bike!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

The more I ride the Brutale the more I like it for the street. If I don't decide to go the track bike route I will probably end up selling the CBR. I don't really care for the idea of selling it so I will be keeping an eye out for some track fairings popping up.

'07 CBR 600rr
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honderr View Post
The more I ride the Brutale the more I like it for the street. If I don't decide to go the track bike route I will probably end up selling the CBR. I don't really care for the idea of selling it so I will be keeping an eye out for some track fairings popping up.

Do you find yourself taking the brutale out a whole lot more on the street? When I'm on the zx10r on long rides, I often find myself cursing the ergonomics in long straight stretches between the twisties. Been thinking about getting a more street friendly bike that's more upright. You're probably going to get addicted to the track, so may as well keep the cbr for track duty. That's what mine does - track only.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

I rarely take the CBR out now. Unless I know I am going to be hitting up a lot of twisties it's going to be the Brutie

'07 CBR 600rr
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Moto GP Racer

I'm totally with RGWsol or something lol!

You will probably get addicted to the track. On the bright side, Elena Myers will be there. Not only is she hot, but she's friendly and usually gives a hand with lines and stuff and is willing to kick down some knowledge. My bet though, is she won't be riding in the slower group, and I'm assuming you'll be in the slowest group, or intermediate group, being that it's your first track day! Just stay safe and be careful. You're gonna have a blast, haha. Also, your bike looks totally awesome.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

You don't have to drag knee to go fast around a track!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

First track day was a success! I kept the rubber side down and learned a lot about body/feet position. Still have a lot to learn though before I will be happy. I was doing a decent job of shifting my ass off the seat but need to work on getting my head and shoulders down as well. I have a few crappy pictures from my phone, the good pics will be uploaded later. Another guy followed me with the GoPro so hopefully I can upload that later as well.

Elena Meyers was wicked fast. She made everyone look slow and even took out a couple of MV's per the request of the owners. One guy did go down on another person's Ducati. Luckily he wasn't hurt and the only damage to the Duc was a broken clip on and a coolant leak from somewhere.

There was only about 16 of us so I probably got to go out 10 times and at the end it was open and you could ride as much as you wanted but I was pretty worn out by then. I ended up burning through one tank of gas and one run with the Brutale. Tires held up well and never felt them lose grip. Probably because I wasn't pushing them anywhere near their limit.

Enough talking, here are some pics

'07 CBR 600rr

Last edited by Honderr; 10-20-2014 at 08:08 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Well my buddy is already hitting me up to see if I want to do Little Tally on 11/1 or Barber on 11/22. If I do I may try to get some Renthal grips in before hand because the Rizoma's just don't cut it for a track. Still waiting for the other MV members to post their pics up.

'07 CBR 600rr
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 AM
Knee Dragger

Welcome to the party, the addiction!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Here is one video a guy on his F4 chasing me around. He was nice enough to let me borrow his camera mount so I could use it later on the back of mine to look at my body position. The first two laps we are taking it pretty easy since one of the organizers (60+ years old) wanted to get some pictures of Elena Meyers doing a wheelie past him on the back stretch. After the 3rd lap we pass them and get to speed it up. Shortly after Elena blew past me He got some pretty good video so I can see what I need to work on. Like I already said, I need to get my upper body further off the bike from the looks of it. One of the laps I get a little sloppy in turn 1 and was too close to the cones so I pulled up and turn 3 I butcher just about every time.

Pictures are posted but I can't view them yet because I'm at work. I'll add them later today.

'07 CBR 600rr
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Here are a couple of the pictures. Unfortunately, most of them are on turn 3 which is the only right hander and the slowest turn. Just so happens it was closest to the pit so it made for the best pictures. You'll see me and then what the pros look like

And one of this F4 I really liked

'07 CBR 600rr
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 02:16 AM
Moto GP Racer

Very nice pictures man! Looked like most of the riders actually "could" ride if you will haha. That's good.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Yeah I think out of our group there was maybe 3 of us that had never went to a track day. Ironically, the one person that did go down was not one of those 3. The guys working the track were real nice and pointed out things I needed to work on when we would come up in the staging area. He pointed out I needed to keep my feet further back and in on the pegs and to get my ass further off the seat.

'07 CBR 600rr
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Yeah I think out of our group there was maybe 3 of us that had never went to a track day. Ironically, the one person that did go down was not one of those 3. The guys working the track were real nice and pointed out things I needed to work on when we would come up in the staging area. He pointed out I needed to keep my feet further back and in on the pegs and to get my ass further off the seat.

Yeah man, in my experience, first time track goers don't USUALLY crash unless their a hotshot and really tear up the canyons, which to me is just stupid. I never go fast in the canyons man, it's just not worth it.

Track workers usually are really nice, as well as all staff. I've only ever had 1 bad experience where the owner of the organization was rude to me at the top of the morning, and then later in the day when I crashed, they dropped my bike loading it into my trailer! It didn't damage the bike any further but the action as it happened really annoyed me because not only did I see that my bike wasn't lined up with the ramp for my trailer, but I pointed it out and told them specifically how to load it, and even told them I'd do it, but they insisted and then didn't listen to my advice about lining the bike up, and bam. Down it went at the top of the ramp. Then when I spoke with one of the trackday organizers, he was rude again, so I emailed them later and got in touch with one of the other 2 co owners. (3 total co owners) and he told me he was really sorry that his team acted like that, everyone will be notified and he'd have a talk with that specific co owner. He apologized really deeply and treated me really well through email. He offered me a trackday as an opportunity for them to make it up to me so I took it, and although I still didn't like the way that other co owner acted on the free trackday, the guy who I was emailing was really nice and a cool guy.

The environment at a track is part of the addiction in my opinion. No where in the world have I ever experienced a group of any people doing something they all love with such a passion and such openness for others.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Well my buddy is already hitting me up to see if I want to do Little Tally on 11/1 or Barber on 11/22. If I do I may try to get some Renthal grips in before hand because the Rizoma's just don't cut it for a track. Still waiting for the other MV members to post their pics up.
My first track day is little tally next weekend. I'm also signed up for Barber 11/22. Hope to see you out there!

'12 CBR205r 5/1/13 - 4/25/14 ..... '09 CBR600RR 4/4/14 - present
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 12:19 PM
World Superbike Racer

Nice photos man, looks like you had a blast.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 01:01 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
welcome to the addiction. I've got a track day at MSR-Cresson monday and can't wait. Also, keep the cbr for track only duty. its alot cheaper to thrash it than the MV and its probably a better track bike as well.

'12 CBR1000RR - Streets
'09 ZX6R - Track only

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 02:15 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Here are a couple of the pictures. Unfortunately, most of them are on turn 3 which is the only right hander and the slowest turn. Just so happens it was closest to the pit so it made for the best pictures. You'll see me and then what the pros look like

wow such a huge difference!!
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Second track day at Little Tally was a COLD one. First session out we took it pretty easy since it was around 40 and I my fingers were starting to go numb by the end of it. They checked the pavement temp before we got started and it was at 46 degrees. I felt my rear slip a few times but that could have been from me getting on the throttle too much. Despite the cold I felt like I made some improvements from the last track day with my body position and lines. I was able to carry more corner speed and didn't find myself pulling up. There was a photography there so I will hopefully be able to post pictures later this week

Free hot chocolate and coffee at the beginnig

'07 CBR 600rr
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

The pictures from Saturday's chilly track day have been posted up.

http://www.highsidephoto.com/p964422627/ec9ce02c

I'm going to download all the pictures he got of me and then I will post a few more up without the water marks. Below is a link that shows the whole intermediate group. Overall it was a pretty good group to run in. I didn't feel uncomfortable or pressured by any of the riders. No one went down in our group so we were able to run the full 20 minutes each session. I only made a couple passes and had to hot pit once because I just couldn't get around one guy on the back stretch. The instructors had no problems flying by me though. The camera guy Raul Jerez did a awesome job standing out in the freezing wind for us.

http://www.highsidephoto.com/p964422627

'07 CBR 600rr
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Moto GP Racer

Looks like someone had tons of fun! Get off the bike more, you're leaning it a hell of a lot for not being off of it haha.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 05:45 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Looking good. Keep it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page