Vinyl Wrapping a track bike - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vinyl Wrapping a track bike

I've been tossing around the idea of wrapping my track bike instead of getting it painted. I have a lead on the 1.5 MM vinyl that would be 1/4 of the price of getting it painted.

The grade of this stuff is water and wind proof but still flexible enough to get into the edges with a heat gun (automotive grade). In the event of a down it can be removed with a solvent and a fresh piece laid.

Without seeing too many other bikes wrapped, I would like some input if this is a valid option. Esp. if you have experience with this, would you do it again? Is it better, equal to, or worse then paint?

Could just rattle it but without setting up a booth, wet sanding, etc. it will look like crap most likely. Even with the cost of setting up a legit rattle can job it's about the same $ and time that wrapping would be. I just thing a wrap would be a little more unique.

Oh, and if your vote is to wrap it, white or black carbon fiber weave?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Knee Dragger

I have a place giving me a quote on white carbon fiber Monday, if I end up getting it before u order some ill show u some pics
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 03:42 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,055 Times in 859 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Wrapping is a huge ****. You'll regret your decision shortly after attempting. And I promise you if you diy it will look way worse than paint

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks for the input guys, I got a quote from a local reputable wrap shop and it was about the same price as a legit paint job.

I do have some experience laying vinyl other wise I wouldn't even be considering it. And this project would be the most complex, by far. But non the less I see what your saying wibbly.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Knee Dragger

I wrapped the duct covers on mine. It was a pain to get those small parts looking good. I'd buy a cheap single stage and spray it yourself. You're going to be mad when you screw up an expensive paint job at the track. I spent less than 100 bucks on mine.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 12:23 AM
Too short to drag knee.

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Anything can look good depending on your perspective. Most track bikes that I've seen really only need to pass the 20/20 test(20ft/20mph).

Wrapping is tough and takes a ton of patience. If you want it to look decent I would recommend connecting with a friend or local shop to see if they can do it on the side. Good luck.

LRRS/CCS AM #521

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 08:47 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
definitely labor intensive to do it yourself, but its getting more and more popular with local racers. I'm planning to do it myself over winter.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks for the input guys, I still haven't made up my mind but hey I have all winter to work on it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 10:43 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I thought about this too, since wraps can look so awesome - but not only the cost, but after a track day there's a lot of impact marks and dirt from just the environment, I don't know how a wrap would stand up to that, at least the leading edges. Adding onto that, all the little bumps and scrapes that just happen to bikes when they're getting loaded and transported, I think that paint with some tough clear layers would be better if you're not having sponsors foot the bill.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Hey there, I just joined this form so not sure if you done anything with your track bike yet but I vinyl wrapped 2 track bikes recently. ('06 and '09 Yamaha YZF-R6)

The fiberglass track fairings might not hold the vinyl so well so make sure you use some Primer94 from 3M and paint over grooves and certain areas. The vinyl will hold firmly on the fairing after otherwise it might bubble up.

I would suggest fold the excess vinyl to the inside of the fairing and duck-tape it down to stay firm.

Hope this helps!

Here's some results:

(notice the inside of the fairing I taped everything down so it doesn't peel... vinyl got no grip on the fiberglass rough surface)

Jerry
www.JWrap.ca
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 05:47 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Its a trackbike, not even a racebike, so go with whatever. I spray painted mine while the fairings were hanging from a tree. Looks awesome and doesn't hurt so much to fix when you crash. I just pulled a matte orange wrap off a range rover we did about 6 month ago. The clear coat came off the front bumper with the wrap, so now its fix the paint time. Something to keep in mind.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 04:56 AM
Premium Member

Garage
I can tell you one advantage of viniyl wrapping...

If you happed to lay the bike, the vinyl will keep all the faring parts together... I felt with my bike and it had some Vinyl details, thanks to that I could go bak to track, the viniyl was holding all the tiny bits of cracked fairing in place.

I did get some bubbles tough, specially under both headlights were there is an inside curve...

Honda CBR600RR 2003 - Gone! (the blond)

Honda CBR600RR 2007 - On the road! (the brunette)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page