Honda F4I track bike? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Honda F4I track bike?

Hello all I have been riding on the street for about 2 years now. I have always had a yearning for getting to the track just so I can have some safe fun and really know how to ride. I don't want to risk dropping my 600rr because I really like her so I been searching for a track whore. I ran into a 2006 Honda F4i for 2k it's been down before and has that ugly banana boat seat.

Am I looking at a good track bike to start on something easy to ride and reliable. Also is 2000 too much for an entry level track bike. Let me know what you guys think

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If I could get a track bike for 2k I would haha. I think track bikes in my opinion should start off at least 3k. This is just what I have seen in my market over here in cali. Also I had a f4i you can swap the tail frame to a 600rr and use the solo seat and get rid of that **** banana seat look lol
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You can definitely find a track bike for 2K. SV650's are fantastic and affordable.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Is the f4i good to start on the track ? How how many people have a bike just dedicated for the track is this an uncommon thing
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Having a track bike is VERY common. The F4i is an unusual choice...but not a bad one.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Having a dedicated bike means you can have all sorts of non-road friendly stuff on it without worry, which is nice. I have keyless ignition, gearing changes and tires that would make street riding exhaustive and kinda sketchy.

F4i is just fine. It will be old enough that you will want to check on certain services being done, like forks, shock, maybe valves, etc. I do not know what the stock spring rate in the forks is but it may be back when japanese bikes were sprung low, so check up on that.

Finally, instead of an ugly street bike, look for track bikes other people are selling - while ridden hard, they are taken care of and will often have mods and things done to them that are handy for the track.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i'd sell my 600rr for $2800 with a few things removed.

'12 CBR1000RR - Streets
'09 ZX6R - Track only

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
i'd sell my 600rr for $2800 with a few things removed.
lol if lived closer you would be 2800 richer
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Having a track bike is VERY common. The F4i is an unusual choice...but not a bad one.
I just been browsing and it seems like prices are going low since the weather is changing. I think I am going to hold off and look at an older cbr600rr the price difference doesn't seem like it will be that much if I hold off and wait a few months
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 07:25 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Easy to ship a bike. Mine would be ready to go and hit the track. New dunlop q3 rear included

'12 CBR1000RR - Streets
'09 ZX6R - Track only

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilliG View Post
Is the f4i good to start on the track ? How how many people have a bike just dedicated for the track is this an uncommon thing
F4i would be ok to start on. I believe the riding position is not as aggresive as the 600RR or other 600's (R6, GSXR etc). You'd prob find after getting used to the track and picking up your pace you'll want to be more aggresive. I will say I borrowed a friends 954 which is not as aggressive as the 600rr I did not like the riding position. Not aggresive enough. Made turns ins harder etc. I also scraped by boots several times. (and yes, the balls of my feet were on the pegs).
I had both a street and track bike. Going to consolidate to just one bike. I'm not a racer so I do not need to wire, take everything off etc. So I could use 1 bike for both.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Hello all I have been riding on the street for about 2 years now. I have always had a yearning for getting to the track just so I can have some safe fun and really know how to ride. I don't want to risk dropping my 600rr because I really like her so I been searching for a track whore. I ran into a 2006 Honda F4i for 2k it's been down before and has that ugly banana boat seat.

Am I looking at a good track bike to start on something easy to ride and reliable. Also is 2000 too much for an entry level track bike. Let me know what you guys think

Thanks

I think you should go ride track before you buy a track bike. You won't drop your street bike - think of your first track day as simply going for a moderately paced ride.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I ended up saving up more coin and found a 2005 cbr600rr for cheap less than 3k it's been down before in a low speed low side it needs a new foot peg and fluid changes and I'm golden it even has new tires. If I don't drop the bike or don't like track riding I'll put it up on Craigslist where I found it. Plus it will give me experience doing more bike Maintaince over winter. Just got to wait until Christmas is over. Need to find a buddy to head to the track with as well! I don't know the ropes.

Last edited by SilliG; 12-05-2014 at 01:08 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 08:47 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
I ended up saving up more coin and found a 2005 cbr600rr for cheap less than 3k it's been down before in a low speed low side it needs a new foot peg and fluid changes and I'm golden it even has new tires. If I don't drop the bike or don't like track riding I'll put it up on Craigslist where I found it. Plus it will give me experience doing more bike Maintaince over winter. Just got to wait until Christmas is over. Need to find a buddy to head to the track with as well! I don't know the ropes.
Good find! Mine is also an 05. Network with local forums and groups and you'll find the track people. They're always super helpful. Definitely a good idea to find someone to go with or at least pit with your first time.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 05:14 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

The f4i sucks as a trackbike. Well, its awesome, and so is the banana seat!!!! But:
- there is no leg lock on the bike like RR's have.
- the front end has .68kg springs stock so you HAVE to upgrade the springs and rebound valves at a minimum to actually use the bike.
-The low end is better then RR's so you'll outdrive them from corners until you hit about 80mph at which point there is nothing you can do as they pass you and R6's pass them.
-stock rearsets are way too low and need the plate risers from ebay as well as the feeler stubs removed at a minimum
-no way to use rear spools unless you weld something to the swingarm

The f4i is an amazing streetbike, but for trackwork the RR is leaps and bounds better IMO.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page