Help me turn this into a track bike - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me turn this into a track bike

Please move this if its in the wrong section. Phone forums can be hard to navigate sometimes. I'm turning this wrecked daily commuter into my first track bike. And I would greatly appreciate any tips, like.. - Make it back to stock again or change some things to race specs? - Good places to buy cheap aftermarket or oem parts, besides eBay? - What kind of tires should I get? I found some good parts on eBay like a fiberglass race fairing set for 500 I think that's a good deal. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1419223451921.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	144825  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 01:59 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Only you can tell us what you can and can't do based on your budget, riding skill level, mechanical inclination, not to mention the condition of the bike, as in hat needs replacement. If the front fairing stay is wrecked then you might look into motoholders, or other brands like Vortex and the like, not very experienced with those parts.

Breaking it down by department I would suggest:

Suspension:
If your new to track riding, I would just get the forks and shock cleaned and refreshed along with setting them up for your weight and riding style.

Braking:
07+ calipers
SS braided lines
Motul RBF600
Brembo/Accossato M/C

Exhaust/Intake:
If you are in it for the long haul, get a full system while you are at it and a fuel contoller
Exhaust: Akra or Arrow
Fuel Controller: PCV or Bazzaz
An aftermarket air filter would be a good addition as well; Sprint would be my choice.

Tyres: really down to pace, personal preference and your experience. More info needed to make a suggestion.

Aerodynamics:
A race screen would help, my choice is MRA, Ermax is another good one.
New fairings, more track-savvy members can suggest brands.

Engine I would keep as is at this point.

It's a little lazy but you have to give us more info to work with.

Good luck.

2011 CBR600RR 'X-Ray' Build Thread
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=294795

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 02:21 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How much you spend depends on what you want out of the bike and how long you plan on keeping it for. If this is going to be a learner track bike, then the minimum modifications will do. Suspension tune for your weight/style, clip ons, rear sets, SS lines + race pads, case covers, frame sliders and obviously race fairings. As you get faster, you will want to upgrade things like the master cylinder, fork cartridge kits, rear shock, wheels, rotors, etc.

As far as race fairings go, you can't go wrong with any of the popular brands, except HotBodies. Sharkskinz, Armour Bodies, Catalyst and even Optimal (budget line) make great bodywork, I'd stay away from anything out of China. Buy cheap. Buy twice. Some times it's worth it to spend a bit more for quality parts.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, then buy everything and do it all at once. But only if you plan on keeping it for a few years.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I appreciate the input! I have been riding for 6 years I consider my self a good rider but then again who dosent? I want to further my skills by going to track. I now have the chance with this bike that I got cheaply from my roomate. I don't really have a budget but this being my first track bike I don't want to go too overboard. I work a 7 on 7 off schedule so I will have plenty of time fixing this up in the upcoming winter.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 03:47 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Should be a fun project.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

As for a steering damper should I get the skinny rod kind or the electric one that goes on the triple tree? Not sure if I have to get a new tt.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 12:13 AM
Knee Dragger

Help me turn this into a track bike

I suggest you skip the steering damper upgrade. Honda CBR600 has a very mild and noble chassis, and head shake is not a common or overwhelming problem. If $ is no concern, then go ahead and spend $500 on a damper. It's nice but not necessary. I'd recommend racing on the stock electronic damper, and spending the money elsewhere.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by oilpatch; 12-23-2014 at 12:16 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 02:06 AM
Moto GP Racer

Scott's > GPR, in case you pull the trigger.

2011 CBR600RR 'X-Ray' Build Thread
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=294795

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 02:09 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,055 Times in 859 Posts
Garage
#1. Make it safe.

Mods are easy. Start with a good bike. That's critical
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

What stock steering damper? Mine does not have one and never did
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 07:56 PM
BOTM Winner 07/12

Garage
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
#1. Make it safe.
Agree with wibbly.

Honestly for your first bike and first time on the track I would do the minimum of mods. If you decide its something you want to do regularly you'll figure out what mods are the best bang for the buck.

It looks like it took a pretty good hit so make sure everything is solid.

Start with all the fluids, pads and tires then get the bodywork in order. Either buy some cheap rashed replacement OEM and pull the lights or get full race bodywork if you must.

08'RR
Akra Evo TI - Bazzaz ZfiTc - Acumen Gear Indicator - Yoyo Stay - Keyless Mod - Michelin Power Cup - HRC overflow - ECUnleashed
Yoyo Slipper - Galfer Lines - HRC Rear Res - HRC Throttle - Woodcraft Sliders - Woodcraft Rearsets - Servo Mod - Samco Hoses
BMC - Hotbodies - Brembo RCS19 - Penske 8987 & 20mm Valving - ASV Levers - Rk 520 - GPR Damper - EBC XC Rotors
Woodcraft Clipons - Gilles Chain Adjuster - R&R Subframe - PAIR Mod - Cox Rad Guard - MOYT 4 cell - Factory Pro Shift Star
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Knee Dragger

The stock electronic damper looks like this (see attached picture or link). If your bike doesn't have one, you can get it from eBay for less than $50 bucks. There's no need for an expensive aftermarket Scott's or GPR damper until you're well into an Advanced group or actually racing, and even then it's not a necessity.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1419388784.105105.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	144897
http://www.mcqart.com/mcqweb/images/...r/damper_L.jpg

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 09:44 PM
Knee Dragger

EDIT: I just realized you're riding a pre 2007 bike, which is an earlier generation CBR than mine. I'm not familiar with your bike, damper, or its handling characteristics. But when you start track riding a stock setup is more than sufficient to get started.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Knee Dragger

Get a damper
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I was about to say I don't ever remember seeing a damper :p even in the corners it feels very stable, nothing like my gsxr 750 tho!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 07:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
no need fo a damper yet, our generation of 600RR are very stable even at high speeds, you just need to have the suspension tuned for you, if there was ever a need to upgrade anything on your bike start with the fork springs as the 03-04 & 05-06 are notoriously sprung a bit too soft for track use.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 02:11 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camreno View Post
I was about to say I don't ever remember seeing a damper :p even in the corners it feels very stable, nothing like my gsxr 750 tho!
A few things about that statement. The cbr 600rr is just a better handling bike than the gsxr 750 is. Why? Not sure if you're aware of the history around the first generation 600rr yet, but they really are a true "race replica". The weight placement and distribution is still more advanced than the 750 ever was from the beginning of its production. The 600rr keeps a relatively low center of gravity, especially compared to the 750. In that respect, less weight is actually felt on top while moving and transitioning the bike. The gas tank is more centrally located and sits much lower too. The 750 is a popular bike because it has power similar to a liter bike and similar handling characteristics as a 600 class bike would. The trade off the 750 is, it doesn't thrive in any category, it's just a good neutral middleweight bike. The 600rr is a very very finely tuned 600 that during it's initial launch, destroyed the competition with one purpose. As far as suspension goes, even for a 150 lb rider like myself, the stock springs are a bit soft as stated, even at the factory recommended settings. I like to add just a few "notches" of compression when and if I need it depending on where I'm riding, but it's always been set stiffer. Keep an eye on your travel and adjust accordingly or change out the springs if you're a heavier guy and can't set your preload to begin with. Anyways, I think if your bike doesn't feel like it handles as well as a bigger bike with a higher center of gravity with more mass, it could have something to do with the fact that it looks like it got severed in half and maybe the frame let alone the forks are tweaked on it... Or it's not set up for you. My cbr would walk over my aprilia track bike with radial 100mm brembo brakes and massive usd forks with double the travel with the same PTWR like it's sitting still. Don't be too soon to judge, that's all I'm saying.

Last edited by 03cbr-rider; 12-26-2014 at 02:25 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I rode the bike all the time before it was wrecked, I got it from my best friend. Compared to my 750 it just feels cheapy, and that might because of what you said its so light and all the weight is down low. The frame and everything is fine and it still runs great, it will make an excellent track bike.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 10:10 PM
Knee Dragger

I thought the exact same thing when I jumped back off my 1000 to the 600 is that it felt like a little toy that I could whip around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page