Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First track day! Road america or Black hawk Questions

Hey guys Im planing on doing my first track day this year at black hawk or Road America. I have sooo many questions to go over mainly because Ill be going by my self and commuting on my bike. So all my space is limited to well my backpack. How do you guys do it? Do i just ride naked in my suit lol if I have one...

Dont think I could fit more than a change of cloths and suit in my backpack. let alone tools, snacks and all the other good stuff.

For tools I would like to bring
Everything for chain adjustments
and a wrench for the fairings.
along with a torque wrench for the axle.

What do you do about gas if you ride alone?
No way i can bring a rear stand and i think I have to safety wire my kick stand so do i lean it on a wall or?

where do I secure my gear and backpack when Im not by it or on the track?

I can see how this is really not ideal but I dont have a option for my first track day.

Let alone this is easy going to be $500+ with leather rental and hotel, food, gas.

What do you wear under your suit if you rent lol?

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 12:46 AM
Knee Dragger

Garage
In my opinion,

It might not be a good idea to ride to the track for many reasons. It's better to haul the bike in case of an accident and mechanical failures. In addition, you might not want to be riding after a tiring track day. But for the most obvious reasons, you need to haul tools, tires, clothes,etc. Easier to track a car than a bike. You could rent a trailer or buy one, and use your car to haul your bike.

I haven't taken my bike to the track yet but it's not much different than taking a car to the track. Just know what you need to bring on track day and go from there. Find an organization that you want to track with and get to know their requirements. Some are strict and some are laid back. Make sure you bring a canopy on a hot day and bring your own gas. One last thing, "do not take your Bike to a track if you cannot financially walk away from it". Ive seen accidents happen at the track. Not always, maybe 1 out of 10...but anything can happen, especially on a bike. Make sure you have a way to get home. Have fun out there!!!

08 Ninja 250R Track prepared
96 Miata track prepared
98 Q45T V8
07 Rabbit 2.5L 5 cylinder 6sp Tiptronic

Last edited by BoBo Toy Copter; 01-27-2015 at 02:10 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mran556 View Post
Hey guys Im planing on doing my first track day this year at black hawk or Road America. I have sooo many questions to go over mainly because Ill be going by my self and commuting on my bike. So all my space is limited to well my backpack. How do you guys do it? Do i just ride naked in my suit lol if I have one...

Dont think I could fit more than a change of cloths and suit in my backpack. let alone tools, snacks and all the other good stuff.

For tools I would like to bring
Everything for chain adjustments
and a wrench for the fairings.
along with a torque wrench for the axle.

What do you do about gas if you ride alone?
No way i can bring a rear stand and i think I have to safety wire my kick stand so do i lean it on a wall or?

where do I secure my gear and backpack when Im not by it or on the track?

I can see how this is really not ideal but I dont have a option for my first track day.

Let alone this is easy going to be $500+ with leather rental and hotel, food, gas.

What do you wear under your suit if you rent lol?
I highly suggest you wait until you have a ride secured or a trailer. There is just too much that can go wrong and you will be tired after a track day. I am so tired after track days that I can barely load my bike. Not kidding.

There has got to be someoone locally who will give you a ride to the track and haul your bike. You can then split gas and the hotel room to offset the cost. Track bretheren stick together - most track junkies are super friendly and willing to help enable a developing track enthusiast.

Finding a track buddy will allow you to bring food, water, tools, stands, air pump, spares, gear, lawn chair etc...you will have a much better time plus they can show you all the ropes - where to leave your gear, when to go out to the track, where to sign up etc..

edit: if you must go alone, borrow a truck or a car with a hitch and rent a uhaul trailer. They are fairly inexpensive. You will thank me after you are done riding all day.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 03:15 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'll echo the above, do not ride to a track day or you stand a VERY good chance of not being able to get home. Post here or on the forum of the organization to find a buddy to go with,mill be a much better experience.

RA is my favorite track and used to be my home track. Blackhawk is fun too but is almost a "toy" track compared to RA. Do Blackhawk if you want to work on technical skills, RA if you are fine with speed and braking or want to learn it.

As far as tools there will be PLENTY of people willing to help, skip anything extra. Make sure your bike is tip top shape, your chain is adjusted correctly (even a tick loose) and your gear meets their criteria or it'll be a long, expensive day for nothing. As far as gas both Elkhart Lake and Plymouth have stations, a full tank should get you most of the way though, and don't be fooled to buy race fuel, you're a long way away from that making a difference besides smelling good.

Kick stand isn't much of an issue with anyone anymore,mid be surprised if they don't allow it. If they don't, simply pull the spring and bolt and carry it with you; when you need to stop pull the bolt and stand out of your pack and put it in. Not elegant but would work.

There are SO many organizations that go there find one that also allows coolant or you'll be swapping that as well, Google ZARS for a great riding school out of Minneapolis and the dates they are going. Great group of people who will help out when you get there.

Undercloths can be boxers and a t-shirt to an under suit. Your wallet will determine what you wear under the leathers. I'd try to find a used set rather than renting, even if they don't "match" your bike they'll be a better buy in the long run because once you go one time, you'll want to go all the time.

But please rethink riding. Riding hard all day long is a 10th of the energy a track day uses, you will be wiped and riding home the hour to Milwaukee will suck big time.

PM me any other questions, be happy to help.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Official Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Like stated above, riding on the track is a workout for unfamiliar faces. That ride home is going to be hell if do this.
If you go alone on your bike with nothing you can run into MANY obstacles and god forbid you slide out, wreck, or have mechanical issues, you would have to find a way home for you AND your bike.
Take your time and be prepared, we all know how exciting it can be getting ready for your first day.
1 full tank of gas will be good for one day, especially since your most likely riding Novice and are not going to be flying around lap after lap after lap.
Look for a track buddy or someone with a truck that would let you load your bike onto.
Keep us updated and ride safe!

TST Industries
Design without Bounds

Like us, follow us, and share our products on
Your favorite Social Media Sites!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Garage
I am actually planning on getting a hotel so i dont have to wake up at 5am. If i was so tired as well i would get one for the night too..

Yes novice and slow lol.

Ill see if i can secure a friend and lawnchairs that way i cam put some **** in the car. Unfortunately i just dont see away to get the bike there or home with out riding but a hotel will work.

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mran556 View Post
I am actually planning on getting a hotel so i dont have to wake up at 5am. If i was so tired as well i would get one for the night too..

Yes novice and slow lol.

Ill see if i can secure a friend and lawnchairs that way i cam put some **** in the car. Unfortunately i just dont see away to get the bike there or home with out riding but a hotel will work.
What about doing a riding school first? One where you can use a school bike so that you can just show up and ride, learn the ropes and the foundational riding skills and get more confident before doing a track day?

I've been a coach with the California Superbike School for over 10 years now and I also raced for several years. I wrote an article about whether or not a school or a track day is better to do first. You can read it here:

Anyway just a thought :) Feel free to ask any further questions if you should have them and get ready to be addicted
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I know this is 2 months old now, but I also know you haven't gone because our snow just melted :)

I would checkout the forums for the TD org - probably STT, Midwest or Motovid seeing as you're looking at RA or BFR. If it is with STT, they have awesome forums and members who would likely help you out. Also, check out http://www.wiriders.com/forum/ since you are in Milwaukee. I've pit with and loosely know a few of these guys and they may also be a great resource for you.

I found a trailer spot from Chicago to Grattan for my first TD a couple of years ago. Track riders are a friendly group always looking to expand the sport, and as such, you'll be surprised what others will do to get you to the track AND make sure you have a positive experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page