Prepping for my track day - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Prepping for my track day

As far as the bike goes, I'll be going to Kershaw Carolina sports track. I've been putting cases and sliders on my b ike. I need:

Fuel cans
Food, water, etc
My two piece and all protection required.

Other tha. The mods I listed above, the bike is stock. Shall I pull the fairings for if the worst is to happen... seems I should go with 2 track days or so before investing orb some fiberglass ones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 12:34 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Save your money. Put it towards future track days. No need for track farings for your first track day.

2012 Honda CBR 600RR
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thats what I was thinking, so I should be able to find a list of things to have on my bike/not to have.... Im thinking it would be smart to take off all my fairings but the gas tank.

Just figure that list out, bring my bike and ride with the coaches and other noobs right? The course I'm going to is Kershaw Carolina motorsports park. They said they have bikers there, but they're more advanced. Which could be perfect for me...

Just keep my ego on straight hahaha

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
protect yourself before your bike.
keep your ego in check.
enjoy the day =)

2012 Honda CBR 600RR
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 06:19 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
i learned pretty quick at my first track day that i was not going to keep up with people, so just ride at my own pace that I was comfortable with, and learn from there.

I got passed by girls on bikes 1/2 the size of mine. Including a girl on a Grom.

So, ignore others, and just enjoy the track =)

2012 Honda CBR 600RR
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 07:39 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

People passing me is always a good thing. Lets me follow them and learn. Just don't push too hard.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 07:47 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,055 Times in 859 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
it's bothersome how people expect to crash at trackdays.

if you go to the track for the first time and crash, you have chosen to crash, it's pretty plain and simple. if you go to a trackday and approach it as a way to learn something new and treat it with respect, you're not going to crash.

you'll probably know who is going to crash and who isn't just by walking around the paddock before the day starts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:26 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
you'll probably know who is going to crash and who isn't just by walking around the paddock before the day starts.
Agreed with this statement after my first day at the track hahaha

2012 Honda CBR 600RR
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 10:58 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

You will have a blast. As everyone has said just take your time getting to know the track and experiencing just how much of a beast you own. For me the biggest shock was how good the stock brakes were.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Yeah I'm pumped! and yes our stock front brakes are insane, and so are the tires. I've been emergency braking to try and get the feeling of the front wheel to slide (for when i need to know what to do), and I still cant get that bugger to start sliding instead of braking.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:24 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Do yourself a favor and check out the requirements for both rider gear to wear and for the bike to pass tech inspection, for whatever organization you will be riding with......and be prepared before you ever get there. Some first time track riders are somewhat nervous to start with, there is usually a flurry of activity on the morning of the event, and the last thing you want to be happening is to be worrying about how you and your bike are prepared for the day. Make sure that whatever the requirements are, for you and your bike, have been met. It will take some pressure off of you and you can relax a bit more that morning. If you can, get there Friday evening and get your paddock area set up and ready.....just one less thing to worry about in the morning. Also, it gives you a chance to meet other folks that are going to be on the track, including other customers as well as coaches. This is the perfect time to as someone on staff to take a quick look at your bike and maybe your gear, to make sure it's ready to go for in the morning. Bring plenty of water and gatorade type drinks to keep you hydrated during the course of the day. In fact, start drinking lots of water several days ahead of the event....you really can't catch up on the day of the event. Lawn chair, EZ up shelter if you have one, some tools, food/snacks, tire pressure gauge, fan, towel, extra fuel for the bike......and the list goes on. Relax, as best you can between sessions, and most of all, be very open to instruction and ask lots of questions....leave the ego at home and enjoy the experience.

Vern....STT Southern Region Instructor

If it ain't fast........It ain't fun!!

2014 Yamaha FZ09 highly modded
2008 GSX-R 750..... Track Bike
2008 ST1300
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My advice would be get some tyre warmers. Most novices went down last weekend because of cold tyres. Especially if you're planning to do more trackdays.
Make sure bike is top condition like chain adjusted and oiled, mint tyres, Brakes freshly bled and throttle doesn't stick etc.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 01:10 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevster84 View Post
My advice would be get some tyre warmers. Most novices went down last weekend because of cold tyres. Especially if you're planning to do more trackdays.
Make sure bike is top condition like chain adjusted and oiled, mint tyres, Brakes freshly bled and throttle doesn't stick etc.
Tire warmers are not necessary for a new rider. A quick easy warm-up lap is all that's needed.

Riders go down for many reasons, usually rider error. Tires can be a small factor, but if you warm up your tires properly and use the correct amount of tire pressure, it should not be an issue.

I've done over a dozen trackdays in Beginner to Intermediate groups without ever using tire warmers. Just warm up your tires in the first lap--basically don't go fast on the first lap.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCBR06 View Post
Tire warmers are not necessary for a new rider. A quick easy warm-up lap is all that's needed.

Riders go down for many reasons, usually rider error. Tires can be a small factor, but if you warm up your tires properly and use the correct amount of tire pressure, it should not be an issue.

I've done over a dozen trackdays in Beginner to Intermediate groups without ever using tire warmers. Just warm up your tires in the first lap--basically don't go fast on the first lap.
I've done loads of trackdays without them as well. I was just pointing out in my last trackday a couple of weeks ago the novices were going down like bowling pins without even completing a lap. I'd put that down to tyres IMO.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Had my CBR totaled by insurance because I left the factory plastic on, get race body work!!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 06:17 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I would also change your coolant to anything that is non-glycol based, like engine ice.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 06:49 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,055 Times in 859 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
how did you get a bike covered for total loss by insurance after a crash on the race track

fraud?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 08:24 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Some insurance companies will cover a bike crash on the track, as long as it is not a "race" or a "timed event". A track day is not a "timed event" in the eyes of some companies. Other insurance companies will state in the policy that they will not cover any damage done if the bike is on a track for any reason. Check with YOUR insurance company to find out what their policy is regarding being on a track.

Vern....STT Southern Region Instructor

If it ain't fast........It ain't fun!!

2014 Yamaha FZ09 highly modded
2008 GSX-R 750..... Track Bike
2008 ST1300
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Knee Dragger

Engine Ice is nice but unless it's required by the track I wouldn't bother for your first track day. For your average track rider at an average track day tire warmers are a waste as well. Any benefit of the tire warmer is lost in the wait to get onto the track. And unless you plan to go all out the first lap there's no need the tires will be up to temp after a lap or two anyway. I've been doing track days for 10 years and never had tire warmers. The biggest thing regarding tires, is good/new tires, and proper air pressure. A good rule of thumb, check your tire pressure before and right after the session. The pressure should increase about 3 to 5 psi. Any more or less means you need to adjust your air pressure.

If the pressure increases more than 5 that means your tires are heating up more than ideal and you should increase the cold pressure a little so that the tires do not flex as much and thereby not heat up as much.
If the pressure does not increase then your tires are not heating up at all and you need to lower your cold pressure a little.

This is just a rule of thumb and each bike/tire is a little different. A good staring point for most tires is around 28-30psi.

I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.

FWMR.net Webmaster
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Track day was a success! Addicted as expected, most mentally exhausting thing I've ever done. The rest of the weekend I laid low. I was pushing my limits for sure... having gotten a wreckless and speeding over 30 tickets, with only 100 miles on the bike, my skill level was not too good, not the worst there though, but its all about bettering yourself. Went off the track once at a cool 25 mph since i didnt trust the bike, ibwas trying to keep up with some 1000's on a long straight away, that's why that happened. That set my mind set for the rest of the day. I wasn't use to braking at 120, I've practiced ebraking to helpnprepare, but there's only so much you can do on the street.

Learned a ton, tore my tires a bit:)
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 09:18 AM
Knee Dragger

Actual tears in your tire? If so you need to adjust your tire pressure.

I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.

FWMR.net Webmaster
The Following User Says Thank You to darcshadow For This Useful Post:
Urbane (04-13-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page