Investing in my own bike, or should I buy a used track bike? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Investing in my own bike, or should I buy a used track bike?

I was talking to some racers and they recommended me to do several things:

-Updgrade suspension (first on my list)
-Find a racer and buy his used race tires (since I can't ride as hard this would give me good grip within my riding ability.
- SS brake lines

They also suggested instead of investing 15k overall into my stock honda, buy a used track bike for 7k.

I just got my 07 cbr, been putting frame/fork sliders and case covers on it so nothing big yet.

What would you guys advise. I really don't want to buy another bike as I don't have the funds at the moment. But I also want to get into racing. I was thinking as an alternative, I could buy used parts off the forums that are upgraded, instead of buying new parts, or a used track bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good solid used track bike best deal. some screaming deals out there.

was one OTF recently for $7K that had full Ohlins setup and a ton of extras.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks for your input, now the thing I question is just that the bike has obviously been abused a lot, being only a track bike. Is this something to be concerned about? Abuse and all that.

Maybe I can skate by with my stock honda, upgrade the suspension and tires, get a mech. damper, then when I am better a few years down the road I buy used? As a noob I don't need all these bells and whistles you know? But I just want to figure out what is worth investing and what to do.

Do people ever sell SS brake lines or dampers? I havent' seen many in the buy/sell section, I'd also be looking for a mech. damper

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 02:14 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
You can get a killer track bike for 3k.. get another bike it adds up really quickly buying goodies brand new for your current bike Suspension alone is around 3k. Throw in pads, lines, maybe a rcs. It adds up so quick...

Can pretty much guarantee a good track bike is going to be more reliable than your street bike.

Most people meticulously maintain em imo..

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 02:21 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
It doesnt sound like your tha fast yet i would worry about suspension or dampaners or brakes for that matter. Why do you think you need all that? Have you done any trackdays?

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Nope, doing my first track day on april 8th.... Not even close to riding the bike to its limits on the stock tires, but I am trying to ride aggressive and push my limits to get better. All the money i've put into my bike thus far is sliders and engine cases/clutch covers.

The reason why I'm posting is I just don't want to spend unnecessary money. Just looking for advice on the best way to go, I figure id take my current '07 to the track for a season or two with minimal upgrades since I'm not riding too fast yet. Is this a good idea?

I'm just confused as hell! This is a whole new sport for me so I'm lost and need guidance from some experienced guys on what to do/upgrade/worry about. I absolutely refuse to ride aggressive on the street, not only is it dangerous due to stuff on the road etc. But i've already received a couple wreckless driving for taking turns 30+ over the posted limit.... about to have my license revoked.

Gah i'm such a noob lolz
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 03:27 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Thats perfect thats all you need case covers and sliders. Ive crashed with fork sliders and in my opinion they do more harm than good.

What kind of tires do you have? Only thing i would do is put some new q3's on for your first track day if your current tires are old or dated...

You dont want your friends race take offs at all you wont be able to keep heat in them and could very likely wreck from it. A q3 will take u to the advance group..

Only other thing you should do is set your sag and play with compression and rebiund adjusters and get them set to your liking and your good to go. Obviously all maintenance should be done at this point check your wheel bearings, brake fluid, oil, pads, Etc

2007 Cbr600rr Black

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 03:32 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Seriously do what i suggest. Other than that go have fun...

Some videos would help too. Twist of the wirst with keath code and watch some youtube videos on body position. All available on YouTube.

Dont over think your first track day most the people out there have stock bikes... you dont need ohlins carts on your first day or a brembo rcs

2007 Cbr600rr Black

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:44 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
I agree with mrann it's really easy to dump a lot of money fast into these bikes. It won't make you any faster and most likely any more confident. Learn the stock bike so you can appreciate it once you build it up and appreciate fine tuned suspension.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:58 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Track days and racing are different and different levels of involvement; while I also agree with buying a separate race course only bike, for right now just start doing track days on your current 07. With some experience you can make a better judgement about your level of investment. You may find you're very happy with a couple track days a year on the bike you have without anything else (you will see that old dudes with lots of experience can make a stock or old bike go crazy fast.)
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 10:45 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Sorry to jump in here, I am too new at this. I've never done any track days since I own my bike. Now that I found there's a race track about an hour away from where I live I'm kind of interested. If I'm reading these posts right. Stock bike are perfectly okay for track days? I take it I'll have to find out what the rules are at the race track. (all required ppe, taped up head/tail lights, etc.)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 11:28 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmind415 View Post
Sorry to jump in here, I am too new at this. I've never done any track days since I own my bike. Now that I found there's a race track about an hour away from where I live I'm kind of interested. If I'm reading these posts right. Stock bike are perfectly okay for track days? I take it I'll have to find out what the rules are at the race track. (all required ppe, taped up head/tail lights, etc.)
Yes stock bikes are just fine on tracks. And you will have to remove some things and tape some and safety wire at some tracks.
The Following User Says Thank You to VWormer For This Useful Post:
openmind415 (03-22-2016)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:35 AM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmind415 View Post
L yes. Go kill it bro ha ha

2007 Cbr600rr Black

The Following User Says Thank You to mran556 For This Useful Post:
openmind415 (03-22-2016)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 07:53 AM
Knee Dragger

It is an easy answer:
Get on WERA Forum
Sportbike Track Time Forum
N2 Forum

and buy a good USED track bike. Never spend over $3,500.00 to $5,000.00

Nice Motorbike!
The Following User Says Thank You to whitarnold For This Useful Post:
Urbane (03-25-2016)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 11:00 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
For the initial track day stock bike with good tires is all you really need. Having the suspension adjusted is a good idea as well but really any stock bike these days is more than capable for a track day. If the track bug bites you and you really want to get into racing, you might think about looking for a SV race bike. The SVs are crazy cheap to work on and while a bit slow compared to your current bike, they can teach you a lot quickly and improve your skills a great deal. You learn a lot more going fast on a slow bike than you do going slow on a fast bike, and it's a lot more fun too.

I Refuse to Tiptoe Through Life...Only to Arrive Safely at Death.

FWMR.net Webmaster
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcshadow View Post
You learn a lot more going fast on a slow bike than you do going slow on a fast bike, and it's a lot more fun too.
all day all day all day

2012 Honda CBR 600RR
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 10:18 PM
Moto GP Racer

How to do your first track day: Check your ego at the gate, Listen to control riders, and be ready to learn more in a few hours than you have in years prior.

Be patient learning new techniques in braking, acceleration and body position. What works for one rider may not work for the next. Your height, Weight, flexibility, etc as well as experience are all factors in how to best ride your bike. What works for one rider may be the recipe for disaster for the next.

This is why listening to control riders is critical. They can see what you are doing and see what the bike is doing. They know the track inside and out and they can help tweak what you are doing to help make you smooth.

Regarding your first trackday - my advice would be to look for rashed lowers and tail section for your bike on ebay, local shops, etc... It is just a little piece of mind.
Otherwise - for your first trackday - street tires are fine (As long as they are in great shape). I would argue street tires are optimal for your first track day so you can learn your bike as it is, and translate that to your daily riding.

When you do more track days... (if you decide it is for you) - then suspension, tracktires, etc are more at play.

Signatures are stupid.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Sweet! I just been so busy with my current work I haven't really been looking into actually doing track days. It has been getting warm down here in the south and I'm starting to take my bike out for joy rides. Carolina motorsport park is the closest track that I know of. I think I'm gonna go check it out here real soon.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:22 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Just wondering. When someone decided to turn their bike into strictly track bike, can you stop registering your bike and paying insurance on them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 10:34 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Varies from state to state, but there is probably a Paid Non-Operation status. Basically it takes the bike off the books as a street vehicle, but keeps the registration current until you change it back. That way you can drop any mandatory insurances on the vehicle. You also don't need to re-up the NonOp status, it should come in the mail every year that if you do nothing, the vehicle stays in Non Op.

Check your state's online info, which is typically pretty good for this sort of thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to FightingChance For This Useful Post:
openmind415 (03-23-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page