Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Trackday at Thunderhill

Hey all,

I'll be doing my first trackday tomorrow up at Thunderhill in Willows, CA in what looks to be a soggy day full of rain, so it should be an interesting day. As I've prepped the last few days, I've definitely been nervous, but this should be a pretty great opportunity to work on some rain riding skills in a much safer environment than the street. I definitely plan on taking it easy (especially in the morning) and seeing where I come out later in the day.

I've got a shiny bright yellow Alpinestars 2 piece rain over suit to hopefully keep me and my leathers dry, and the bike has been prepped with fresh oil, a cleaned, lubed, and adjusted chain, and a full suite of sliders to hopefully keep the plastics safe if I happen to go down.

Hopefully I'll have some good pictures and videos to share by the end of the weekend, and some much improved wet wether riding skills!

Also, if anyone was looking into renting a Uhaul motorcycle trailer but hadn't pulled the trigger yet, they're pretty great. It cost $46 total for the weekend (Saturday morning pickup, Monday morning return) and that included full insurance. Its got a wheel chock built in, a center channel for the wheels, fold down ramp, plenty of built in tie down spots that work well with the bike, and I had a ton of extra room. I threw my stands and a 5 gallon jug of gas on the back, and could have fit plenty more. Plus, there were even tie downs at the back which made securing the extra stuff without getting in the way of the bike a breeze. I'd definitely recommend it for the price if you don't have room to store a big trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 11.14.06 PM.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	175209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 11.14.15 PM.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	175217  

Last edited by RobertMS6; 03-20-2016 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Adding pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 03:05 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Sweet dude have fun take it easy and i dont think theres anything you can do to stay dry if it rains hard haha. What tires are you running?

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:46 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the cyclone is a doozy

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 01:52 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,056 Times in 860 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
did you meet a bunch of guys from canada? red 15 r1, a silver/white/stars 600rr, red/blk aprilia rsv4, green '16 zx10r and an orange r6?

if so those are my buddies lol
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

We were on Thunderhill West so I didn't get the cyclone. Still 2 different blind crest turns, just not as intense as the East side cyclone. And I was on the stock tires, which are now at the point of needing replacements. I'm thinking S20 Evo's or the new S21's for the dual compound as I commute quite a bit on the bike, and Q3's will likely get very flat much faster than I'd like.

I can genuinely say I learned more in 1 track day about my personal skills and the limits of my bike than any day I've had in the last year and a half of riding. Looking at my first session versus where I ended up at the end of the day is a night and day difference. I really can't wait to see how this improves my general street riding, and I definitely can't wait to get back out there and run on the track. I'll also be taking some cornering classes in April or May (or both!)

Anyways, I've got a breakdown of the day, some good learnings, and of course, pictures!

The 1st session of the day started to drizzle, and the track just started getting wet. Between that, the nerves, and not knowing the track at all, it was a very slow round. I was in Group D as I'd never been on a track before, so at the very least I wasn't holding anyone up. It was pretty clear on that round we were a bunch of first timers.

2nd and 3rd sessions the track got rain saturated, so the initial slickness and unpredictability was gone from the surface. The 2nd session kind of blew my mind with the fact that I could actually accelerate, brake, and turn the thing in the rain. The smoother the motions, and the more upright the bike was for acceleration and breaking, the better I was coming through turns. I started to push it a little more towards the end of the 2nd, and found my way to the front of the group pretty quickly. 3rd session was even better than the 2nd and it felt amazing. I probably should have moved up to C, but i had plenty of room to skip to the front without much issue and then had plenty of space to work at my own pace. Plus it got me some experience with wide safe passes, so that was good.

During lunch, I talked to the instructors about lines through some of the corners and they had some good tips on that and my body position. Went out for the start of the afternoon and they actually came out with us, and I got a few laps with the head instructor pacing me in a lead/follow to teach me some lines and really showed me I could be waaaaaaay quicker through many of the turns.

On the 2nd lap of the lead/follow, unfortunately I overcooked it coming through an off camber righthand turn after the front straight and ended up having the front tire slip and low sided the bike :( My gear did its job and just has a few scratches on the jacket, and I tore the knee open on the rain over pants. Leather pants came out completely unscathed, as did the helmet, and gloves and boots are just a little muddy. I don't even have any bruising or soreness from it. I basically did a baseball slide, and the bike landed on sliders and just slid right off the track until it stuck the right front clip-on in mud. The tail section had a decent chunk taken out of it, and there some scratching on the nose, but for the most part, it just got dirty and I need 1-2 new plastic pieces. And the even better news is that I had thrown on a set of cheap China fairings a while ago just in case..... didn't even bang up the expensive OEM plastics!

Walked it off the track, dug all the mud out of it, hosed it down, and managed to only miss one session while the weather and track cleared up. I got right back on for the last 2 sessions of the day, and got to do an even better lead/follow with the same instructor on a dry track and it felt downright amazing. Even though I did get a little overzealous and dumped it, I learned a ton and really improved my skill and confidence. I had a huge smile on my face the entire day, even in the rain and the mud, and have plenty of places where I can keep improving to make myself a better rider.

I also couldn't believe how friendly and helpful everyone was in the paddock. There was always someone willing to share a tool, towel, a dry spot to stand, or a hand to load and unload bikes. Especially after I crashed, plenty of people who saw it happen (because of course it was right in front of everyone) came over to check in on me and lend a hand, and that made me want to get back out there even morel A big thanks to the guy on the ZX6R who stopped to help me pick the bike up even though it cut into his track time!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2109 Low Res.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	175417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 11.51.41 PM.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	175425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 11.52.57 PM.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	175433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 11.53.21 PM.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	175441  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
did you meet a bunch of guys from canada? red 15 r1, a silver/white/stars 600rr, red/blk aprilia rsv4, green '16 zx10r and an orange r6?

if so those are my buddies lol
I met an Orange R6 with track fairings but he was from the Napa area, and there was a family with a Ducati 1099, Repsol CBR1k, and a red/black RSV4, but I don't think they were Canadian either. I did the day through a program called Superbike-Coach. Know if thats what they did?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page