ebay brake levers OK? - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ebay brake levers OK?

I know, i know "would you trust a chinese brake lever coming down from 150 mph... blah blah" but seriously, a set of CRG levers are easily 100+ bucks more than a very nice SET of CNC machined, adjustable, anodized levers that are all over ebay.

anybody have any first hand experience, bad or good? recommended off-brand?

thanks, please spare the flames, :>]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 06:24 PM
Knee Dragger

Any anodized stuff that is off brand that I have bought usually tends to fade after exposure to sunlight, but I don't have experience with those levers.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
All the flames!

Actually this has been covered a few times; use the search in the upper right corner to find the threads.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:49 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Buy with confidence.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:55 PM
Knee Dragger

The look, fit and work good.

Slow and Scared

post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I run a black pair of eBay CNC levers, and have been fine for 3 years. Prior to that had a red pair on my 250 and no issues either.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHonda View Post
I run a black pair of eBay CNC levers, and have been fine for 3 years. Prior to that had a red pair on my 250 and no issues either.
They are surprisingly good for what you pay for them.

Slow and Scared

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Training Wheel Hero

^^^ I agree.

both of my 954s have them, and so does my 600RR. as previously mentioned, the first pair I bought have begun to fade (but not the actual lever, the middle portion). I don't take my machines to the track (yet), but they've felt solid and strong when I've called upon them in less than ideal conditions.

for the price...? a direct fit, 6-way adjustable, custom color, billet aluminum set of levers for $26 can't be beat!
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 04:32 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

If you've been around bikes long enough you know they are not ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unslow1 View Post
for the price...? a direct fit, 6-way adjustable, custom color, billet aluminum set of levers for $26 can't be beat!
I'm willing to bet large sums of cash that the chinese do not actually mill the levers from solid billet blocks.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Ebay CNC levers for 2 years haven't had a problem with them .
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Cheap ass BRAKE levers on the TRACK.

Bwahahahahahaha

Of course, do it. What could possibly go wrong?
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 06:31 PM
World Superbike Racer

I've been using cheap brake levers from thetwowheels.com which I believe are the same as the garden variety e-bay levers. Use on both street and track. Don't know which ones specifically you're looking at though.

As someone said above, the anodized colour tends to fade in sunlight over time--red becomes pinkish. There was a little bit of play in one of my levers which was easily remedied with a washer. Other than that, I have zero complaints. They have been solid and reliable.
The Following User Says Thank You to AF4iK For This Useful Post:
i-zapp (07-08-2016)
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 06:44 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post

Bwahahahahahaha

I'll keep you posted. Both my bikes have cheap ebay levers and thus far, 6 track days and counting, no issues. This is in the intermediate group FWIW.

What I find so very funny is people thinking they could not come from the same factory but are missing that "special" stamp with a logo on them that drives up the price for your name brand ones.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

thanks for the replies, it's given me things to think about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked View Post
I'm willing to bet large sums of cash that the chinese do not actually mill the levers from solid billet blocks.
been on bikes for 40 years, 10 on the track. there are things that make sense to buy from quality, high end suppliers (clutches, pistons, cams, brakes, etc) but for something as simple as a mechanical lever, i gotta believe the chinese/tiawanese are quite capable of manufacturing a good product.

as far as you whether they are "billet"? that's funny. what else would they be? CAST levers would be obvious, i'll take that bet for whatever money you want to throw down. FORGED levers? i'd actually prefer forged, especially for 30 bucks a set since they'd be way stronger than billet. waaay too expensive to tool and produce. pretty obvious to detect a CNC lever based on the tooling/machining marks. a better question is whether the material is 6061 T6 or something cheaper or without the heat tempering that makes it strong. even if some lower grade alloy, i can't imagine anyone bending a lever with a couple fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Bwahahahahahaha
if i had the time or inclination, i could whittle one out of a chunk of aluminum myself. i'm no pro machinist but with enough time i could copy one of those big buck CRG levers. it wouldnt be a good use of my time (it would take me HOURS if not weeks), but someone with a CNC could do it pretty darn easily, like all those asian widget factories. pretty hard to mess it up really. worst case, the lever might feel sloppy, the adjustment lever was hard to work, or the pivot wears out quickly. no biggie.

i'm in.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:23 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-zapp View Post
thanks for the replies, it's given me things to think about...

been on bikes for 40 years, 10 on the track. there are things that make sense to buy from quality, high end suppliers (clutches, pistons, cams, brakes, etc) but for something as simple as a mechanical lever, i gotta believe the chinese/tiawanese are quite capable of manufacturing a good product.

as far as you whether they are "billet"? that's funny. what else would they be? CAST levers would be obvious, i'll take that bet for whatever money you want to throw down. FORGED levers? i'd actually prefer forged, especially for 30 bucks a set since they'd be way stronger than billet. waaay too expensive to tool and produce. pretty obvious to detect a CNC lever based on the tooling/machining marks. a better question is whether the material is 6061 T6 or something cheaper or without the heat tempering that makes it strong. even if some lower grade alloy, i can't imagine anyone bending a lever with a couple fingers.

if i had the time or inclination, i could whittle one out of a chunk of aluminum myself. i'm no pro machinist but with enough time i could copy one of those big buck CRG levers. it wouldnt be a good use of my time (it would take me HOURS if not weeks), but someone with a CNC could do it pretty darn easily, like all those asian widget factories. pretty hard to mess it up really. worst case, the lever might feel sloppy, the adjustment lever was hard to work, or the pivot wears out quickly. no biggie.

i'm in.
I was about to say the same thing.
I'd take the same bet, the levers look machined, it would not be cost effective to forge and machine later just to get the look.
Doesn't make sense, they fall out of a Chinese made machine centre, but a machine centre not a cast.

Slow and Scared

post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 07:30 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:

I'm not going to get into a verbal confrontation with you... but surely not cast. If a rider is only using a small percentage of their bike's potential, then they surely don't need titanium everything that's been MotoGP tested. Just my opinion.

EDIT: ...and please pardon me. I just noticed this thread is in the "track talk" section. disclaimer: I haven't any track experience.

Last edited by unslow1; 07-08-2016 at 07:45 AM. Reason: conversation location
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
I've been using cheap brake levers from thetwowheels.com which I believe are the same as the garden variety e-bay levers. Use on both street and track. Don't know which ones specifically you're looking at though.

As someone said above, the anodized colour tends to fade in sunlight over time--red becomes pinkish. There was a little bit of play in one of my levers which was easily remedied with a washer. Other than that, I have zero complaints. They have been solid and reliable.
nice, thanks. I'm going to go with these -
7 Click GP 3D Lever Set (Brake & Clutch) / Honda (FINAL SALE)
and with all the money I'm saving I bought all kinds of other goodies like SPOOLS and BAR ENDS. any ney sayers out there think THOSE are questionable too??
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I just got some shorty adjustable levers from "china" on amazon. Install took 10 minutes and they work perfect. Little more play up and down than the stock levers but overall for $27 I'm happy!
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 02:33 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unslow1 View Post
I'm not going to get into a verbal confrontation with you... but surely not cast. If a rider is only using a small percentage of their bike's potential, then they surely don't need titanium everything that's been MotoGP tested. Just my opinion.

EDIT: ...and please pardon me. I just noticed this thread is in the "track talk" section. disclaimer: I haven't any track experience.
My comment was never ment as a "they aren't strong enough" comment. I've read countless "why did my front brakes lock up after ebay levers" threads. No thanks. My oem levers on my F4i have lasted plenty of miles and plenty of trackdays so I don't see the need for cheap ass levers that will fade in sunlight. I have an ASV short brake lever on my RR because it was only $70 on clearance, otherwise I would have thrown a stocker back on that too.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 03:09 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-zapp View Post
nice, thanks. I'm going to go with these -
7 Click GP 3D Lever Set (Brake & Clutch) / Honda (FINAL SALE)
and with all the money I'm saving I bought all kinds of other goodies like SPOOLS and BAR ENDS. any ney sayers out there think THOSE are questionable too??
Yep those are the ones I've got. Been using them for several years. I got black with red adjusters. The red has faded a bit but the black is still black.

Quote:
My comment was never ment as a "they aren't strong enough" comment. I've read countless "why did my front brakes lock up after ebay levers" threads. No thanks. My oem levers on my F4i have lasted plenty of miles and plenty of trackdays so I don't see the need for cheap ass levers that will fade in sunlight. I have an ASV short brake lever on my RR because it was only $70 on clearance, otherwise I would have thrown a stocker back on that too.
How would levers cause your brakes to lock? They are basically just an extension of your hand that hits the little switch on the master cylinder.
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
How would levers cause your brakes to lock? They are basically just an extension of your hand that hits the little switch on the master cylinder.
There are many different master cylinder designs, and each one demands a different solution to actuating the piston. Because of the angle, many levers for our Nissin masters need a small rotating piece because the angle of leverage changes through the stroke. Some levers skip this moving piece, or are not milled close enough to spec to push it cleanly. Sometimes this can manifest as light pressure against the piston, which pushes the brake pads against the rotors, which heats the pads and rotors, which can cause a lockup.

Ethics aside (that makers ripping off CRG's original design defraud CRG from those profits and dissuade CRG and other companies from designing and making products if they expect that they will be stolen in this way), things made in China can has as much Quality Assurance done as anywhere else in the world, or it can have literally none - and there are business that just want to make some money by making decent products, and businesses that want to make money by making the cheapest thing possible that they can pass off and get your money before you realize it's crap.

I would not buy the absolute cheapest levers you can find on ebay.
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:39 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
There are many different master cylinder designs, and each one demands a different solution to actuating the piston. Because of the angle, many levers for our Nissin masters need a small rotating piece because the angle of leverage changes through the stroke. Some levers skip this moving piece, or are not milled close enough to spec to push it cleanly. Sometimes this can manifest as light pressure against the piston, which pushes the brake pads against the rotors, which heats the pads and rotors, which can cause a lockup.

Ethics aside (that makers ripping off CRG's original design defraud CRG from those profits and dissuade CRG and other companies from designing and making products if they expect that they will be stolen in this way), things made in China can has as much Quality Assurance done as anywhere else in the world, or it can have literally none - and there are business that just want to make some money by making decent products, and businesses that want to make money by making the cheapest thing possible that they can pass off and get your money before you realize it's crap.

I would not buy the absolute cheapest levers you can find on ebay.
I haven't personally heard of that happening so I will take your word for it as it sounds plausible. I think these levers have a pretty good track record but I would hope that people test out any mods before taking it for a serious ride.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Moto GP Racer

It's happened to a couple members here over the years; though it is difficult to tell if it's something with the product, or user error (brake lever can be installed without the rotating dowel and still technically work but can cause this issue.)
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 06:54 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
gotcha. I understand. each of us seems to have a "pet peeve" or certain reason for what we do... whether taught, learned, or have the scars to remind us. no autopsy no foul here.

...and good deal on the ASV shorty *thumbs up*
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
That problem can happen with even the most expensive levers. That is why you need to check the brake free play when you install new levers..

FYI even CRG levers fade over time and the red becomes pink...
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 11:33 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
I run a cheap ass clutch lever.. works great does its job. Its a chunk of aluminum after all.

Just buy a brembo rcs it comes with a lever

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 01:07 AM
BOTM Winner 10/16

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have them on all of my CBRs (125, 250, 300 & 600) no issues what so ever. I feel bad for the people that pay A LOT for these levers...
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 09:14 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Type-S View Post
I have them on all of my CBRs (125, 250, 300 & 600) no issues what so ever. I feel bad for the people that pay A LOT for these levers...
Thank you! Let them 'feel' like they have a better product if they so wish.
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 09:42 AM
Vendor

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
It really comes down to how much you care about quality and what you own. Chinese do build quality products but as far as the no-name CNC stuff you see on eBay, quality isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

What you get with a higher quality product is obviously higher price, but don't think of the product as only the physical item you get, but the R&D that has been put into it and the after sales support that is available.
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 06:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Unless you know for sure where the levers are being made - maybe all those "premium" levers are all made in the same factories and you don't know any better because they have some gimmicky brand name to it.

Of course you get the perennial favourites like ASV and Pazzo, maybe they make theirs in a premium factory with lush toilet facilities for their employees and use real metal unlike those eBay ones!

2007 Honda CBR125R
2004 Suzuki GS500F
2006 Honda CBR600RR
2000 Honda CBR929RR
2003 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page