2008 600RR Track Build - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 600RR Track Build

Recently purchased and ready to build. Iíve owned a 2004 gsxr 600, then a 2007 gsxr 1000, and then a 2013 gsxr 600 and now Iím going track only with the Honda. Iím using this post to keep me honest on my intentions and to track the progress and hopefully others can benefit as well. If you see anything you want better pictures of or clarification on, feel free to ask. Fortunately I live in a north suburb of Austin, TX and have Motomummy.com warehouse 4 minutes from my house, and thatís where my loyalty lies. When I purchased this bike, it came with stock Rearsets, 520 conversion driven sprockets stock from +3 rear, Vance Hines dented scratches slip on, zero gravity corsa, front rear axle sliders with frame sliders, motion pro rev2 50mm, ignition delete, stock master, kn filter, and armor bodies superbike that was not sanded or primed and just cheap rattle can paint with hundreds of stickers all over it. I think thatís it for what it came with, next is the plan.

I have installed lightech Rearsets and switched to gp shift. Exhaust is staying the same as I will upgrade to a full once I feel Iím capable of riding to NEED the additional power. Plan to add Translogic Quickshifter. 43 tooth (+1) rear sprocket. Powder coat rims red and add 90* stems. Q4 tires which Iím aware of the mileage you get here, but 900 miles is easily a full season of riding. Case covers. Gear indicator. Brembo master but I had the accossato and liked it so either one. I have some things to fix because it was a track bike and things were neglected but as they happen Iíll continue post. Thanks for following along, hopefully this turns out fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So removed the lower, tail, and windscreen along with a ton of stickers. Iíve been using goo gone and the pain comes right off, but only getting off the nose has destroyed one towel so sanding is option 2.

Keeping the windscreen but want to avoid any possible future damage so itís off and off to the side. Need to line the bodywork with new heat shield. Plan for paint is black upper fairing and gas tank, standard blue similar to Yamaha blue tail and lower, and red powder coated rims. Paint will be a glossy fiberglass designed rattle can that I did on my last bike and enjoyed the outcome. Hoping for a lot of this to happen mid November as Iím busy with work and the family. Thanks for keeping up. In the mean time Iíll post old pics of the last bike and CoTA

post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Removed rims and took off rim tape. Once they are all done Iíll be adding the master and bleeding the brakes with rbf600 to fill them. Also next up is oil and filter change since I donít know the history very well. The previous one to torque front and rear axle and sprocket nuts had them over 200lbs and was close to need a breaker bar. Crazy.

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 02:37 AM
Knee Dragger

Nice work mate, doing the same with an 07 just a little more drastic, post up more pics love seeing progress while i'm STILL waiting for parts.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Cropduster For This Useful Post:
marc.adamski (11-01-2018)
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 10:19 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Keep 'em coming! Watching with Interest... Some heavy duty lifts you got there! Did you say goo-gone removes the paint?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wazoo For This Useful Post:
marc.adamski (11-01-2018)
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
Keep 'em coming! Watching with Interest... Some heavy duty lifts you got there! Did you say goo-gone removes the paint?

Itís just Moto-D stands, they are $150 for the pair pretty much everywhere you look and are rock solid. As of right now, what you see in grey is all because of goo gone...my guess is the only reason it works is because the bodywork was never sanded so the spray paint didnít stand a chance to stick. I have to take the rotors off both rims and then clean them and get all the residue, chain gunk, and weights with their residue off the wheels to prep them for powder coating and then Iíll be going back to take the rest of the paint off. The sticker residue has been a real pain in the ass to get off even with goo gone and itís zero fun sanding or rubbing the paint off. My laziness and lack of patience to have a final product are both battling it out hard right now haha

post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 02:52 PM
Pocketbike Racer

If your painting anyway, may as well remove residue with mineral spirits /paint thinner. I think WD40 works good too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.adamski View Post
Itís just Moto-D stands, they are $150 for the pair pretty much everywhere you look and are rock solid. As of right now, what you see in grey is all because of goo gone...my guess is the only reason it works is because the bodywork was never sanded so the spray paint didnít stand a chance to stick. I have to take the rotors off both rims and then clean them and get all the residue, chain gunk, and weights with their residue off the wheels to prep them for powder coating and then Iíll be going back to take the rest of the paint off. The sticker residue has been a real pain in the ass to get off even with goo gone and itís zero fun sanding or rubbing the paint off. My laziness and lack of patience to have a final product are both battling it out hard right now haha

Last edited by Wazoo; 11-01-2018 at 02:56 PM.
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

2008 600RR Track Build

Fully stripped now. Just waiting for mid month to get the parts and have the time for install. Until then my only agenda is to take the paint off and sand to prep for paint. So wonít have much to show until then, but as soon as I get new goodies or make progress towards something interesting I will post it. Thanks for following and bare in mind this is my time of learning the Honda as well..Iíve been Suzuki my entire life.

Next up

Translogic QS
Motul 300V hiflo filter
Driven 43 tooth
Brembo master w/ rbf600
Cox radiator guard
Gear indicator
Q4 or Power RS still debating
Misano D Air Perforated for me

Wheels are ready for powder coat just need time to drop off

Last edited by marc.adamski; 11-02-2018 at 09:26 AM.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 07:55 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Looking good man. Ill be watching for progress. I love to watch bikes come together.

MRA # 115 07 CBR 600RR Racebike - Full Arrow exhaust - STM slipper clutch - Factory Pro Shift Star - Ohlins Rear Shock - Traxxion Dynamics Cartridges - GPR Steering Damper - PCIII - Ignition Control Module - Dynojet Quick Shifter - Woodcraft Clip-ons - Woodcraft Rearsets - Woodcraft Cases - Woodcraft Frame Sliders - Yoyodyne Fairing Stay - Speigler Steel Brakelines
The Following User Says Thank You to cosp600rr For This Useful Post:
marc.adamski (11-04-2018)
post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Shoutout Motomummy for the hook up on the D-Air. Prices are insane right now. I also had them knock off the tires and prep the rims for powder coat and they are getting done Iím racer red by enigma coatings and should be done next week and getting new bearings and debating on captive spacers. I have sanded down down the entire tail and prepped for paint, just have to do everything else. Iím ballin on a budget so Iím doing it all in the limited free time I have while maintaining a career, marriage, college, and minimal social life. Thanks for keeping me on track, this forum is literally doing it for me.

I also have ordered a front reservoir with bracket from a 2012 off eBay which should be here tomorrow along with a gear indicator. This weekend my dark smoke visor will be delivered as well for the bell race star.

post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 10:30 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Nice suit man! Wheels sound like they will be very cool!

MRA # 115 07 CBR 600RR Racebike - Full Arrow exhaust - STM slipper clutch - Factory Pro Shift Star - Ohlins Rear Shock - Traxxion Dynamics Cartridges - GPR Steering Damper - PCIII - Ignition Control Module - Dynojet Quick Shifter - Woodcraft Clip-ons - Woodcraft Rearsets - Woodcraft Cases - Woodcraft Frame Sliders - Yoyodyne Fairing Stay - Speigler Steel Brakelines
post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Got my 19x18 Accossato MC, 90* valve stems, motul 300v and rbf600. On order is the 43T driven sprocket, Translogic QS, and new wheel bearings

post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Still waiting on wheels from powder coat so waiting to install master cylinder and bleeding brakes for all new fluid. Previous owner had a busted reservoir so ordered a used one off eBay and mounted that up. I also have a oem dampener on the way to give that a shot and see if it works. Havenít found much info online regarding them and itís pretty rare anyone races these so I havenít been lucky in finding information. Painting armor bodies black all the way around and the intake screen is red. Installed gear indicator as well and waiting on wheels to set it up. Also have to install the pc3 and then map it for the slip on and on race filter until I feel the need for a full system. Shopping for a reasonably priced radiator guard as well

post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 06:40 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Hey man, Looking good. Did you order a pc3 new or find a used one. I have a pc3, ignition module and quick shifter I sell you if you want. Its a pull type quick shifter. Also there is a aftermarket damper for sale on the wera forums. I bought the dudes swingarm and forks with the ktech cartridges just last week.

I am racing an 07 so can give you a lot of info if you need it. I wouldnt run the stock damper. I wasnt impressed with it so put a GPR on mine. I also have an 04 Ill be racing in modern vintage this year that is getting an 07 front end, forks, wheel brakes ect. Let me know if you have any questions.

post #16 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosp600rr View Post
Hey man, Looking good. Did you order a pc3 new or find a used one. I have a pc3, ignition module and quick shifter I sell you if you want. Its a pull type quick shifter. Also there is a aftermarket damper for sale on the wera forums. I bought the dudes swingarm and forks with the ktech cartridges just last week.

I am racing an 07 so can give you a lot of info if you need it. I wouldnt run the stock damper. I wasnt impressed with it so put a GPR on mine. I also have an 04 Ill be racing in modern vintage this year that is getting an 07 front end, forks, wheel brakes ect. Let me know if you have any questions.

I actually just bought a trans logic a couple weeks ago that should be here tomorrow. The bike came with a pc3 so planning on using that. I have a lot lot lot to learn and starting from the ground up. Good brakes, quick shifter, and used parts is my main thing and finding what will work for me until I need to step it up. I need to focus more on just getting out on the track rather than building a race bike. My last bike had evvvverything and I lacked skill big time and managed 3:10s at cota with traffic...so instead of stacking the bike with parts, Iím adding as I progress from what it already had if that makes sense

post #17 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:26 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
The bike is coming along nicely! I am following these threads as I might stop riding street and switch the bike over to track only.

Are we there yet?!
post #18 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Wheels are done, now off to get new bearings and the Q4s mounted.

I got my back ordered 43 tooth sprocket and the translogic QS in yesterday. Just need to find time between work and school to install the master and then bleed brakes and start with the installs.

post #19 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 06:06 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Very nice!!!

post #20 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Woooooooo! Q4s look good and the wheels are dope. Hopefully will have the entire bodywork complete by next weekend. I have the tank mounted and itís good but missed a few spots on the lower I need to touch up. Still have to mount front wheel and do brakes MC and everything and I may have a leaking fork cap I just found but Iíll see how that turns out after watching it a couple days. Will update after front wheel is mounted!

post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Wheels mounted

post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:49 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:

Wheels mounted

Wheels look good from here! Are they as good looking up close and personal? How much $$ was it to powder coat them?
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
Wheels look good from here! Are they as good looking up close and personal? How much $$ was it to powder coat them?

I would have preferred they were a bit more red but I chose the option Ďracer redí and I guess it has a slight orange tint. Iím not mad about it though they look really good. Cost was $200 plus tax. Iím definitely pleased with the outcome and there was a bunch of deep scratches all over both sides from gravel traps sooooo this is like having brand new wheels!

post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
I would have preferred they were a bit more red but I chose the option Ďracer redí and I guess it has a slight orange tint. Iím not mad about it though they look really good. Cost was $200 plus tax. Iím definitely pleased with the outcome and there was a bunch of deep scratches all over both sides from gravel traps sooooo this is like having brand new wheels!

Seems reasonable for "brand new" wheels! Looks great! Colors all have subtleties. Hard to get it right unless you have it right in front of you. Sometimes they'll need base coats to produce the colors (you're expecting) as well.
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Subscribed!

What kind of gear indicator is that? I didn't like Q3s so I'm excited to hear your thoughts on the Q4.

https://www.600rr.net/vb/signaturepics/sigpic42905_2.gif
post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by baodown View Post
Subscribed!

What kind of gear indicator is that? I didn't like Q3s so I'm excited to hear your thoughts on the Q4.

I actually loved my Q3s but Iím not even close to an elbow dragger so these tires far surpass my ability. The gear indicator was Chinese from eBay for $40...super easy to setup and works just as slow as the $150 healtech ones

The Following User Says Thank You to marc.adamski For This Useful Post:
baodown (12-10-2018)
post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Still need to sell current rearsets so I can get the translogic going. Need to set up the brake lines and bleed them and paint the right side of the upper fairing....I also have like 4 bolts I took off and canít figure out where they go now haha. So should be ready by March as soon as I can get rid of these rearsets

post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 11:58 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Looking Good! I like the black on red

Are we there yet?!
The Following User Says Thank You to Noobstar For This Useful Post:
marc.adamski (12-09-2018)
post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I really need to get the rear fender powder coated since itís metal but I have a lot of other things to do first that are priority in being road ready and thatís a luxury thing. Itís good to finally see it coming together because it was a black out for awhile

post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Black is lookin good

https://www.600rr.net/vb/signaturepics/sigpic42905_2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page