2009 Track Build - 600RR.net
Trackdays Privateers and Professionals
Sponsored by: MOTO-D Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2009 Track Build

I purchased this bike brand new in 2010 as my first bike and it currently has close to 12k miles on it - last 2k were track only. The bike was totaled in 2016 when I crashed at 25mph and the left Vortex rear set snapped off from the frame. I had my local mechanic weld on new mounting points for the rear set, replaced the forks with a pair of OEM ones from a 2012 and lower triple tree. Besides the front end damage, everything else was working fine.

Upgraded parts list:
- Carrozzeria Wheels
- Akraprovic slip-on
- Ohlins TTX Shock
- Stock headers with cat and exhaust valve deleted
- Pirelli Diablo Superbike Slick SC1 front and rear
- Vesrah Sintered brake pads
- Galfer stainless steel front brake lines
- Woodcraft clip-ons
- Vortex rear sets (GP Shift)
- Motion Pro Rev 2 throttle with orange reel
- Brembo RCS 19 master cylinder
- Superlite Sprockets 15/44 tooth
- Annitori QS Pro Quickshifter
- Woodcraft ignition delete
- ASV clutch lever
- Woodcraft low profile frame sliders
- Optimal Racing bodywork
- Probolt titanium brakes and sprocket bolts

https://www.600rr.net/vb/signaturepics/sigpic42905_2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Purchased back from insurance for $2800. Paid another $800 for parts and repairs by Sportech Cycles in San Jose, CA.

Let the fun begin! Stripped all of the street fairings off in preparation for race fairings by Optimal Racing. Fairing stay and air ram intake was cracked so I did my best to glue and piece it back together. The race fairings fit very well overall with very little trimming to the lower fairing to clear the exhaust headers.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:41 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
your bike have come a long way! Looking good!

Are we there yet?!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Nice work! Looks ready for next season!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobstar View Post
your bike have come a long way! Looking good!
Thankyou! I contemplated about selling it but I'm happy that I kept it for this long. It gives me something to look forward to during the spring and summer seasons and has taught me a lot about riding and wrenching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazoo View Post
Nice work! Looks ready for next season!
Appreciate it. There are a few thing things I plan on doing over the winter to make it as reliable as possible. I had to cut 2 track days short this year due to overheating, steering, and power loss issues. I also want to refresh the paint and maybe design a livery.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Swapped out a MGP Growler slip-on for an Akrapovic for 07-08 models. The mid pipe did not perfectly align with my 09's mounting point on my sub frame but the bracket provided was enough to secure it. Purchased low-profile Woodcraft frame sliders from a local seller and he included some used Galfer rotors and Vesrah pads for free.

Decided to paint the race fairings red myself. Lots of room for improvement and wet sanding lol. Lined the bellypan with Thermotec heat barrier adhesive tape because the catalytic converter was burning it.

Some pics from the 2017 riding season

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Are you leaving the cat on and just running a slip on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 01:05 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,000 Times in 820 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you want some cartridges for the forks?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.adamski View Post
Are you leaving the cat on and just running a slip on?
I recently purchased used OEM headers with the cat and exhaust valve removed. I wish I left the servo motor and cables alone because the valve was spinning freely so I had to safety wire it to leave it open. I wanted to hold off on performance upgrades for later but I'm hoping to find a good deal on Arrow headers and fuel controller this off season. Leaning towards Dynojet for the Auto Tune kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
you want some cartridges for the forks?
I might be interested. PM the details?

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:56 PM
Knee Dragger

Looks good mate,
can you get a servo plug for the flapper wiring so you can eliminate it all completely?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Found a great deal on Carrozzerria wheels on here that I couldn't pass up!

Mounted some new Bridgestone RS21 tires on there and ran it for 1 track day. Decent tires for the track but it slipped on me a couple of times on warm up laps. Eventually swapped it out for Pirelli Supercorsa SC1 front and SC2 rear.

OEM air filter & spark plugs old/new comparison. Both were replaced near 10k miles.

One thing I noticed about the 600RR after riding more track days is the amount of throw that the stock throttle has. I decided to go with Motion Pro's Rev2 variable throttle kit to reduce forearm soreness and fatigue. It was a PITA to install I'm sure there are quicker/better ways to do it but I had to remove the gas tank, air ram intake, air box, and throttle bodies to hook up the new throttle cables.

I've seen pics of race bikes with insulated air boxes to reflect radiant heat and reduce heat soak in the air box. I had the air box out and apart so I picked up a roll of heat tape for $15 and spent a couple of hours wrapping it up. Can't comment on any performance benefits but it looks sweet!

Throttle kit, air box, and gas tank reassembled

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropduster View Post
Looks good mate,
can you get a servo plug for the flapper wiring so you can eliminate it all completely?
Thank you!

I ordered a servo eliminator by Skutrnet to prevent any check engine lights and going into limp mode. What I should've done is check to see if the valve is wide open when the engine is off. I was concerned that if I disconnected the servo motor and bypass it with the servo buddy, then the valve would be shut at all times.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 05:20 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by baodown View Post
Thank you!

I ordered a servo eliminator by Skutrnet to prevent any check engine lights and going into limp mode. What I should've done is check to see if the valve is wide open when the engine is off. I was concerned that if I disconnected the servo motor and bypass it with the servo buddy, then the valve would be shut at all times.
no worries.
Default is wide open so you're fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cropduster For This Useful Post:
baodown (12-12-2018)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Old/new radiator comparison

After doing some research, I went with the Annitori QS Pro for its stand alone compatibility, ease of installation, and price (I think I paid $250 USD). They have an app available for Android and IOS that allows you to connect via bluetooth and adjust sensitivity and kill time - I left it at its default settings. I paired it with Vortex rear sets configured for GP shift and it's my favorite upgrade yet! 1st to 2nd is harsh but it's buttery smooth after that. No squirming whatsoever when up-shifting mid turn. I did have one issue with it at Sonoma Raceway where it just completely failed on me during the last session of the day. I believe the module might've overheated or I have a loose connection because I ran 3 track days after that and it worked just fine.

Push/pull sensor so you can switch between standard/GP shift

Mounted the module on the tail but ended up moving it to the battery tray

Out with the old and in with the gold! I didn't expect to upgrade my suspension so soon but I luckily I stumbled across this used Ohlins TTX HO-038 rear shock, all conveniently setup for my weight. Had it adjusted by Dave Moss and the bike feels more predictable around the corners and I can't wait to update my forks.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:32 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by baodown View Post
Old/new radiator comparison

After doing some research, I went with the Annitori QS Pro for its stand alone compatibility, ease of installation, and price (I think I paid $250 USD). They have an app available for Android and IOS that allows you to connect via bluetooth and adjust sensitivity and kill time - I left it at its default settings. I paired it with Vortex rear sets configured for GP shift and it's my favorite upgrade yet! 1st to 2nd is harsh but it's buttery smooth after that. No squirming whatsoever when up-shifting mid turn. I did have one issue with it at Sonoma Raceway where it just completely failed on me during the last session of the day. I believe the module might've overheated or I have a loose connection because I ran 3 track days after that and it worked just fine.

Push/pull sensor so you can switch between standard/GP shift

Mounted the module on the tail but ended up moving it to the battery tray

Out with the old and in with the gold! I didn't expect to upgrade my suspension so soon but I luckily I stumbled across this used Ohlins TTX HO-038 rear shock, all conveniently setup for my weight. Had it adjusted by Dave Moss and the bike feels more predictable around the corners and I can't wait to update my forks.

How’s the build coming along?!

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Hey gents,

Apologies for the lack of content the past few months. Not too many exciting updates to share with you as the bike was in storage all winter. I've come to realize that riding track is a physically demanding sport so I've been investing my time at the gym building my core strength and stamina. My goal for this 2019 season is to run a 2:10 lap time at Thunderhill East (my current best is 2:18)

Removed stickers from lower belly fairing and repainted it. Also added some number plates from Drippingwet.

4/15/19 First track day of the season at Thunderhill East. It was a cold/gusty day and riders were crashing nearly every session. The track was shutdown for nearly 2 hours since one rider had to be airlifted out so I only managed to log 4 sessions that day. I'll be here again in 2 weeks on 5/13 and I'm crossing my fingers for warmer temps.

180/60 SC1 set at 31 and 26 hot psi looks like it's wearing beautifully - what do you think? I'll be going back to 180/55 after this set.

I noticed that fluid is leaking out onto the left side of my lower belly pan. I thought it's a cracked radiator hose so I replaced all the hoses. I have a suspicion now that it's leaking from a hose that's coming from under the gas tank. At least those 10 year old radiator hoses are replaced now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page