Bike feels heavy when turning - 600RR.net
03-06 RR Modifications 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Bike feels heavy when turning

Just got an 05 RR (thanks Mike!). Coming from a 2002 F4i. Riding the bike home I noticed that it really seemed to fight me when trying to turn. I'd push on the handlebars but it felt like it wanted to stay upright.

The F4i just felt so much more nimble and flickable, especially after I lowered it an inch. I plan on lowering the RR too, maybe that'll help but I feel like the bike shouldn't be this hard to turn normally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Demented

What are your tire pressures set at? Lowering the bike will make the bike harder to turn anyway.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 05:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Had the same problem. Tire pressures were about 6-8 psi too low in each tire and suspension was set way to soft

04 cbr 600RR sold
2010 cbr1k-pita

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my 05 was the same way... I mostly got use do it and can now throw it into curves or whatever with ease.. I also invested in a gpr steering damper... WELL WELL worth the cost
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
What are your tire pressures set at? Lowering the bike will make the bike harder to turn anyway.
I'll hafta check, what sould the pressures be? And I'm not questioning your experience but when I lowered my F4i it definitely got easier to turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie04RR View Post
Had the same problem. Tire pressures were about 6-8 psi too low in each tire and suspension was set way to soft
Interesting, because http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/mo...ion_set-up.htm says that if the front compression is too hard it will be reluctant to turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadranger84 View Post
my 05 was the same way... I mostly got use do it and can now throw it into curves or whatever with ease.. I also invested in a gpr steering damper... WELL WELL worth the cost
You're saying that the steering dampner helped out with getting the bike to turn easier? Or just worth it in general?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbagel423 View Post
I'll hafta check, what sould the pressures be? And I'm not questioning your experience but when I lowered my F4i it definitely got easier to turn.

Interesting, because http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/mo...ion_set-up.htm says that if the front compression is too hard it will be reluctant to turn.

You're saying that the steering dampner helped out with getting the bike to turn easier? Or just worth it in general?
For street use, typically what the sticker on the swingarm or what the VIN sticker on the frame says.

Harder suspension will make a bike easier to turn, but less stable. Softer suspension will make a bike harder to turn, but more stable.

Dampers work against the effects of the bars turning, so technically one would make turning much harder.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:45 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

are your tires old? Flat spots on them make it harder to turn.... new tires the bike falls right over

-05 600RR, Flat black
- Akrapovic SP slip on, Flushmounts, Integrated tail lights, DDM HID's.

http://jakeht.deviantart.com/
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I had the same issue when I bought my bike... drove it 5 miles to the dealer for an oil change to find out the tire pressure of the front tire was 18 psi
The guy I bought it from had put in 600 miles in a year and barely used. Once I got it back (I believe it was around 34-36 for the fron tire) was like a totally different bike...

2006 Honda CBR 600RR
2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
2008 Aprilia Tuono R
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascat View Post
I had the same issue when I bought my bike... drove it 5 miles to the dealer for an oil change to find out the tire pressure of the front tire was 18 psi
The guy I bought it from had put in 600 miles in a year and barely used. Once I got it back (I believe it was around 34-36 for the fron tire) was like a totally different bike...
Ding ding ding. I honestly didn't even think about checking that yesterday before I rode home . Turns out they were at 18/20. The sticker on the swingarm says 36/42. All good to go now and the bike feels completely different. Thanks for the help guys!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Tire pressure .... tire pressure.... first thing to check...

as for the GPR dampner.... when I installed mine... it made my turn signals flash brighter and my stock exhaust sound way louder !!! Then I took it to my friend's dad's garage dyno... and it charted an extra 15 horses and pushed the my red line to 18k.... although that could have been from the extra piston I put in last week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page