Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

My '03 track project

25K views 243 replies 20 participants last post by  M03RR 
#1 ·
ive been away for a bit. Had some life happen I guess.

Anyway, I sold the silver '05 and picked up this basket case '03 last night. I got it super cheap. The wire harness has been hacked on so bad, I'm just going to completely replace it. I have an uncut used harness already ordered. It needs a lot more, but I want to hear the engine run before I do anything else. I figured I'd change all the fluids and sort the electrical and go from there. I need to clean the shop today and get it inside, it's freakin winter time here.

See less See more
Reactions: dixon cider
#3 ·
Nice. not sure what you are going to do with the exhaust, but there are full systems for like 500 bucks (brand new). Micron Carbon Fiber and Titanium available for the 03-04. Yeah Micron is out of business, but a full system for 500? Can't go wrong. Looking forward to seeing this build.

#5 ·
I just got it put away in the shed. It's way too cold to be out there today. Next year this time I hope to have a heated garage built.

I've got a factory service manual and a clymers on the way, as well as the main harness. I need an ignition switch from an 03-04. I really just want the wires from it for a clean keyless setup. If anyone can hook me up, PayPal is ready.

Looking at a new set of pit bull stands too. I want this to be the last time I buy stands.

I'm in the final stages of a complete restoration of a badly neglected 2004 CFR250R, that I really want to finish before I tear into this one. But I'm on vacation all month so I should get a lot done.

#7 ·
My shop is a mess and I started on it yesterday. Also drained the oil in the bike. It looked bad. Like head gasket leak milkshake bad. So that's disappointing. The wiring harness and a new kill switch and a woodcraft key switch eliminator are on the way. I still plan to swap the wiring and start the engine. When I can get it to run, I'll see what's up with mixed fluids in the engine. I may end up looking for a donor motor or part this out before I do too much work.

#10 ·
I don't want to part it. It may still be cheaper to rebuild the engine than part it and start over. But I'm not going to get all fired up about anything until I can start it and see what it does.

#11 ·
I ordered a brand new set of pit bull stands this morning. That's exciting. :woot2:

#13 ·
I've had lesser stands that I always just sold with whatever bike they were for. I decided to go with pitbull and never buy another set.

#14 ·
Waiting on parts and tinkering.

Do I really need the rubber flap that covers the valve cover? It's kind of a pain in the ass.

#16 ·
Good, it's coming out. I'm pretty sure it's for rain water anyway. I just wanted to be sure before I cut into pieces.

#17 ·
Oh it comes out in one solid piece. I believe it is a sort of heat shield as well as keeping water/road grime out. Since you have it apart, are you doing the PAIR valve delete? If you are going to track this bike, you can get a lot of goodies for cheap :) I may have a set of no name brand black shorty levers and a spare K&N filter? The K&N is missing the left ear, but should still function. I will attach a pic in a minute.

#18 ·
I figured pair valves and velocity stacks. I need to study up on that again. It's been a while since I've been this far into an RR.

#19 ·
Oooooh. Wire harness just arrived. Ups tracking says kill switch is supposed to show up today. I may be in the shop for the rest of the day.

#20 ·
Well. I feel like I got a lot done today. I pulled the valve cover to check clearances, and I was pleasantly surprised to find them all still in spec except cylinder 3 exhaust valves were a thousandth tight. Could've been user error, but either way, I'm letting that slide.

I removed the PAIR valves and ordered a set of block off plates so I'm leaving the air box off until those arrive. The PAIR solenoid and hoses were also removed.

I got the bulk of the new harness on the bike. I ordered a kill switch from an 04 1K RR, which I thought I read in other threads, was a plug and play switch other than two brake switch wires. That was incorrect. The 1000RR switch has a completely different plug. So I removed the pins from the 1000RR plug and swapped the original 600rr plug onto the switch. I'm not happy with the fitment but it makes a good enough connection for testing purposes until I find the right kill switch. Then I installed the woodcraft keyless ignition harness. When the kill switch is turned on, gauges light, needle sweeps, no fuel pump. Press starter button, engine turns over. I'm getting battery voltage at the harness side of the fuel pump connection so the manual says I need a fuel pump.

I'd like to hear from someone with an 03-04 who has the woodcraft keyless ignition harness, before I spend cash on a fuel pump.

That's where I am tonight. Oh yea, stands came today. Good investment IMO. Here's a shitload of pics:

#24 ·
The BAS is jumped. I get 12 volts at the fuel pump plug for a few seconds when I turn on the switch, but no prime. Can I run jumper wires straight from battery to pump to verify it's bad? The zenner diode has me a bit confused. I need to call woodcraft and verify this key switch eliminator harness steps the voltage down for the ECU. Who's our electrical experts here?

#25 ·
I have bad news. Just did a compression test. 120,120,120,150. That changes my plans for sure, to what, I have no idea yet.

I also disconnected the tank and pulled the pump. The tank is full of rust. One thing I didn't check when I bought it. Just totally slipped my mind to open it and look in. No wonder the pump is shot.

I don't know whether to find an engine, and tank, and all the other stuff this bike needs, or yank this engine and rebuild it. Or part this bike and start over. Or find another wrecked donor parts bike.

#26 · (Edited)
After some thought and talking to a few racers and mechanics, I'm going to keep going here. With really nothing to lose, I will still fire this motor up. I ordered a new fuel pump last night and will be dropping this tank off to be refurbished today. Easier than locating a new tank.

My hope is the piston rings and or cylinder walls have some scale or corrosion from prolonged improper storage. And with a little run time, will reseat and the compression numbers will come up. I will at least run this engine before I pull it out of the frame. The general consensus was those numbers don't necessarily indicate a faulty head gasket.

I was missing the rad fan and coolant overflow bottle so those have been ordered also. Today I need to order all the associated mounting hardware for those.

Edit - just found an 04 tank in clean condition cheaper than the shop can refurb this tank. Ordered.

Now we wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.