ArcticPanda's Custom Fairing Bike Build - 600RR.net
RR / Other Brands Bike Build This forum will be dedicated to RR build threads you are also entitled to post threads for other bike brands here are .net we love them all

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ArcticPanda's Custom Fairing Bike Build

I recently purchased a 2006 Honda CBR600RR as my first ‘Big Bike’ (I’ve been riding a 125 Honda Varadero for about 1.5 years up until now).

There is a bit of a story behind the fairings on the bike currently. It was originally blue, but the bike was sideswiped by a van during a commute, which led the previous owner to repaint them in white in order to be more visible (I presume they were also scratched/damaged due to the side swipe). They are the OEM fairings, which I have now confirmed when I removed the fairings to clean up the exhaust system.

I took the decision that plain white wasn’t for me, and set to looking about online for some fairings. I had originally almost bought a Movistar CBR600RR, so I looked at those, amongst various other styles. I wanted something that looked like a race bike, and was a bit more ‘wow’ than plain white. However, I was hesitant as I didn’t want to look like a poser with a Red Bull or Movistar livery bike, when I’m clearly not a racer
This led me to coming up with an idea…

I decided to use this as a marketing ploy for my business. I may not be sponsored by Red Bull, but I can happily give permission to market my business on the fairings!
So, I sent the graphic designer for our business an email with my ideas, and he came up with this…

I wanted to keep the white as a base colour, but just sent him the vector image for the logo and let him work his magic on the rest. There were a few small changes, but overall this was his first draft for the most part.

Choosing a Company
So, I sent an email out to maybe 5 different companies. I had searched this forum for some recommendations, but primarily went with a gut instinct based upon their communication with me.

In the end, I decided to go with Monster Fairings. Partially swayed by the fact I’m a CycleCruza subscriber, and he vouches for them. So, I sent over the mock-up image, as well as the font files and vector files, and as of today, the fairings are in production!

According to the communication I’ve received, it should be around 14 days until I receive an update with some pre-clear coat pictures, which I will need to confirm before the clear coat is applied.

I was hoping to have a photo which perhaps their graphics/paint guy had mocked up as a reference point, but apparently, they’re completely doing it based on the images I have provided. So, fingers crossed that goes okay…

The Plan
Overall, my plan is to blog the whole process on this post, including how easy they are to install on the bike once they arrive (this is what I’m most nervous about). I’ll take plenty of photos along the way for you.

I will also be making various other modifications to the bike along the way, which I will document as and when they are decided.

Looking for my first big bike! Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:39 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
That's a great idea, and the fairing design looks suitably sporty without looking too "race bike".
I hope it all works out as expected!

Steve
'04 CBR 600RR
IBA #40198
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsolentMinx View Post
That's a great idea, and the fairing design looks suitably sporty without looking too "race bike".
I hope it all works out as expected!
Fingers crossed!

Worst case, it doesn't, and it is a lesson learned I can share with the forum! haha

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 03:44 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Looking forward to seeing the end result.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

If anyone would like to see me make some mods, or make some recommendations, then post them here and I'll consider it

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
I like the look. It's still sporty without being too aggressive. Excited to see what the end result will be

Everybody's gon' die. Don't everybody live though
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

NEW UPDATE! Got the fairing photos!

So, it took slightly longer than the claimed 14 working days. However, I cannot complain at all after seeing the final result. They're currently being prepped for packaging to be sent out to me in the UK.

Pre Clear Coat Image

After receiving the images for the pre-clear coat, it didn't take me long to give them the all clear. They looked awesome. It then took two days to get the fully cleared fairings sorted. And here they are:

Excited to get these on the bike now. Let me know what you guys think!

The Following User Says Thank You to ArcticPanda For This Useful Post:
498cm3 (04-12-2019)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:54 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I really like your design. And how you decided to do it, I think it's absolutely brilliant.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:08 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Those fairing turned out perfect! Can't wait to see them on the bike!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Looks great!

So I'm guessing these are aftermarket fairings too, or did they use OEM fairings?

Steve
'04 CBR 600RR
IBA #40198
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:15 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
They are the OEM fairings. The bike originally had blue fairings, got side swiped, owner painted them all white. This is when ArcticPanda got the bike. Went shopping for more fairings but then decided he didn't want his bike to look like everyone else's, so he sent them off to get this sick paint job!

Go Fast and Eat Ass!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:20 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalan48 View Post
They are the OEM fairings. The bike originally had blue fairings, got side swiped, owner painted them all white. This is when ArcticPanda got the bike. Went shopping for more fairings but then decided he didn't want his bike to look like everyone else's, so he sent them off to get this sick paint job!
I know the backstory, I was trying to work if these were Monsterfairing's own fairings that they paint, or if he sent them his own OEM fairings. As he said they are being shipped to him in the UK, so wasn't sure if he sent them his own OEM fairings first.
Guess it's probably cheaper to ship them your own rather than pay for a full aftermarket set.

Steve
'04 CBR 600RR
IBA #40198
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsolentMinx View Post
I know the backstory, I was trying to work if these were Monsterfairing's own fairings that they paint, or if he sent them his own OEM fairings. As he said they are being shipped to him in the UK, so wasn't sure if he sent them his own OEM fairings first.
Guess it's probably cheaper to ship them your own rather than pay for a full aftermarket set.
They're a new aftermarket set which have been painted. So they're MonsterFairings' own fairings. I'll be sure to give a review of the quality once they arrive. Just awaiting a tracking number now!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:23 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Ah cool :)

Exciting!

Steve
'04 CBR 600RR
IBA #40198
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Fairings have arrived today! Going to get them opened up when I get home from work, and I'll let you all know the quality.

Excited to get them on the bike. Hoping the alterations to holes etc will be minimal

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I'm struggling to get the front cowl back on the bike. The holes don't appear to line up to install the wingmirrors. Who's idea at Honda was it to have the install of the front cowl via the wingmirrors?! Makes the job a nightmare for anyone with only two hands, especially with that fiddly L bracket.

Does anyone have any advice? @InsolentMinx

Last edited by ArcticPanda; 04-26-2019 at 04:58 AM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Got everything on in the end! If I have the time and we get some decent weather this weekend, I'll take some nice pictures :)

The Following User Says Thank You to ArcticPanda For This Useful Post:
498cm3 (05-03-2019)
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:16 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Nice!!

It's meant to be the coldest May bank holiday Monday in London for 40 years or something!!!
Not sure it's going to rain though, so fingers crossed you can get out for a ride!

I'm hoping I can find time to put mine back together.
Getting withdrawal symptoms

Steve
'04 CBR 600RR
IBA #40198
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page