Throttle is tricky. - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Throttle is tricky.

I am new to the Hondas, and my throttle feels like it is either on, or off, and not really much in between. For example, I roll up to a stoplight and am taking a right turn, and when I get back on the throttle it is very jerky. Is this something I can adjust? The 07 GSXR that I was riding was not like that. It was a smooth transition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 08:39 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have a 1/6 turn throttle instead of a 1/4 turn? That would be the only reason I can think of for the less sensitive feel.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 03:45 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I kinda get the same feeling but have no basis for comparison - I was surprised how abrupt the shutdown of power seems when the throttle is off. Curious to see what people have to say. Stock 1/4 turn btw.

'07 CBR 600 RR - Red Konica Minolta
Southern California - Orange County

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Use your clutch my friend!..

IV - VIII - XV - XVI - XXIII - XLII

01001001 00100000 01000001 01001101 00100000 01010100 01001000 01000101 00100000 01010011 01010100 01001001 01000111
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Knee Dragger

The on/off with the 600rr is definitely more abrupt than my previous bikes...but as said above, all you can do is use the clutch!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

It's the stock 1/4 turn. I will deal with it, but enter to know if there was a solution to fix it. It's just not that rider friendly compared to newer model gsxr's. I'm curious now about how the r6 and zx-6 feel.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
haha, compared to a r6, i think my bike feels perfect. I rode an 08 r6 and THAT was either on/off ALL THE TIME.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:05 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
My last bike was carburated....and I felt a huge difference....you get used to it.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:18 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyegolf View Post
It's the stock 1/4 turn. I will deal with it, but enter to know if there was a solution to fix it. It's just not that rider friendly compared to newer model gsxr's. I'm curious now about how the r6 and zx-6 feel.
Are you new to motorcycles or sport bikes in general? This is probably the case with all of them.

Are you talking about that bucking feeling? The one where you go from off throttle to on throttle, and you give it a little too much so you go flying forward, then you over compensate by shutting the throttle, and that jerks you the opposite direction by applying the engine break? Because that's all inconsistency in throttle control.

Realize there's nothing wrong with the bike... the bike is responding to your controls and doing EXACTLY what you tell it to, no more, no less. You're being jerky with the throttle, so it's being jerky with you.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the slipper clutch on the Gixxers ate up this inexperience and that's why it wasn't that bad. You need to ride around in first gear for a while to hone your throttle control. The jerkiness in first gear will eventually make you a pro with the throttle.

Squid test:

So far, 13109 people (including you) have responded to this Squid Test Survey and have been tabulated.
Of those responses, the average grade is 53. Your grade was 82 (from 0 to 100)

A higher grade indicates a stronger sense of common decency, and a lower grade is an indication of conspicuous squidliness and general disregard for civilized society. Your score indicates that you are a fairly responsible motorcyclist but a bit of a wise-ass.

Hahaha.

Last edited by chipmunkofdoom2; 05-01-2009 at 12:41 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Training Wheel Hero

+1 on your explaination chipmunk, niceeee
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Knee Dragger

Keep it in 2nd.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Pocketbike Racer

My '03 throttle is kinda jerky, even on other gears, though it might have to do with my throttle settings (I dunno, I've had the bike for about 2 months now).

On turns though, I don't go through them on 1st unless I'm stopped and making a sharp turn to the right...always on 2nd otherwise.

Last edited by Renato; 05-01-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: grammar check
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunkofdoom2 View Post
Are you new to motorcycles or sport bikes in general? This is probably the case with all of them.

Are you talking about that bucking feeling? The one where you go from off throttle to on throttle, and you give it a little too much so you go flying forward, then you over compensate by shutting the throttle, and that jerks you the opposite direction by applying the engine break? Because that's all inconsistency in throttle control.

Realize there's nothing wrong with the bike... the bike is responding to your controls and doing EXACTLY what you tell it to, no more, no less. You're being jerky with the throttle, so it's being jerky with you.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the slipper clutch on the Gixxers ate up this inexperience and that's why it wasn't that bad. You need to ride around in first gear for a while to hone your throttle control. The jerkiness in first gear will eventually make you a pro with the throttle.
Maybe Im just use to the slipper clutch in the GSXR and the last Kawi I had was pretty smooth also. The feeling is the bike going from engine compression to throttle. I was just hoping for a way to smooth it out a little more like the GSXR.

As for clutching before a turn, I think that is kind of a bad idea. If you go from compression braking of you motor and grab the clutch, you are going to gain speed right before you go into a turn. Just seems like it would be easier to roll on the throttle a little earlier before the turn and that would be the most effective and stabile way of doing it.

Thanks for the info guys....
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Rusted Hood

i know what you mean...when i picked my bike up i had to ride home about 20 miles...im sure i looked like an idiot because my body would rock back and forth. itll will get better with time

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacksoncbr600 View Post
he probably has bacon strips because he aint even leanin enough to get chicken strips
WISHLIST
NEW PLASTICS!!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyegolf View Post
As for clutching before a turn, I think that is kind of a bad idea. If you go from compression braking of you motor and grab the clutch, you are going to gain speed right before you go into a turn. Just seems like it would be easier to roll on the throttle a little earlier before the turn and that would be the most effective and stabile way of doing it.
Incorrect. By using the clutch, you are losing the engine braking that normally occurs. You aren't going to decrease in speed as rapidly as you would without applying the clutch but you are still losing speed. Rolling on the throttle does, however, cause an increase in speed. To maintain the same speed without having the "jerkiness", either go up a gear or feather the clutch.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i am so confused with this thread... wTf??

09 black 250r : SOLD :(
2008 red 600rr
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 10:45 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
The off-on throttle transition can be smoothed out by riding different and/or tuning via a PC or BPD system.

Riding: Higher RPMs in the corner (lower gear) seems to help a lot.
Tuning: More fuel at 5% TPS (richen mixture) results in reduced snatchiness.

Jason Harper