Opinions on race fuel - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opinions on race fuel

I was wondering on the engines ability to handle 111 octane race gas....ive ran te bike on it one time at the drags and it really came alive....but was told that the higher the octane the higher the lead content in the fuel and was also told that no fuel was truly 'unleaded' .The lead in the fuel is hard on the injectors from my understanding but is it ok to run this occasionally ie at the drags? Thanx
909 Racing is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:28 AM
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 147
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The lead will destroy the cat, if you still have that in your exhaust. It can also hurt some O2 sensors.
If you don't make any other changes to your bike, like raising the compression and/ or adjusting ignition timing, you will not see any benefits from race gas. With some types of race gas, power may go down because specific energy is less. The higher octane rating only signifies resistance to detonation. There are some types of race gas with higher energy density (oxygenated etc).

OP
opodden is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
CTM_Patron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PWZ, Fo Life!!!!
Posts: 11,156
Thanks: 2
Thanked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
yea, unless you've modded the engine don't waste your money on race fuel. besides that good smell, ur not going to be benefiting from it.
CTM_Patron is offline  
 
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
E-NA6CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada, bitches!
Posts: 7,495
Images: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM_Patron View Post
yea, unless you've modded the engine don't waste your money on race fuel. besides that good smell, ur not going to be benefiting from it.
Pft! I run race fuel in my Roadster and that thing hauls ass. I only got high 400's for RWHP running 110 Unleaded and nailed 603.0 RWHP using leaded race fuel. Although, it's ridiculously over-priced.



R.I.P. Chenhan

2008 600RR

2010 ZX-6R
E-NA6CE is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
CTM_Patron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PWZ, Fo Life!!!!
Posts: 11,156
Thanks: 2
Thanked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
Pft! I run race fuel in my Roadster and that thing hauls ass. I only got high 400's for RWHP running 110 Unleaded and nailed 603.0 RWHP using leaded race fuel. Although, it's ridiculously over-priced.
ur also french
CTM_Patron is offline  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
E-NA6CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada, bitches!
Posts: 7,495
Images: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM_Patron View Post
ur also french
Negative, my pendejo friend. I am of teh yellow-skinned breed. I am Asian.



R.I.P. Chenhan

2008 600RR

2010 ZX-6R
E-NA6CE is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
CTM_Patron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PWZ, Fo Life!!!!
Posts: 11,156
Thanks: 2
Thanked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
Negative, my pendejo friend. I am of teh yellow-skinned breed. I am Asian.
u really think race fuel FTW though???? i've always heard that you should select the fuel with the lowest possible octane that will prevent detonation in your engine.
CTM_Patron is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
1ofakindRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Colo Spgs, CO
Posts: 3,513
Thanks: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's all about oxygenated... And my '06 has ALL the emissions crap pulled since we don't do emissions in Colorado.


Solar White RR6 "Pearl"
R.I.P. PHATTY!
Quote:
Caution: Beware of whores.........
1ofakindRR is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
E-NA6CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada, bitches!
Posts: 7,495
Images: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM_Patron View Post
u really think race fuel FTW though???? i've always heard that you should select the fuel with the lowest possible octane that will prevent detonation in your engine.
I'd rather use race fuel if I could get around the whole fuel system changes. It smells awesome, burns your eyes, yields a more relentless combustion, combustion is cooler and it's much, much better for obtaining continuous, predictable performance.



R.I.P. Chenhan

2008 600RR

2010 ZX-6R
E-NA6CE is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
CTM_Patron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PWZ, Fo Life!!!!
Posts: 11,156
Thanks: 2
Thanked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
yea based on smell alone, race fuel ftw!!!! jhahahaha
CTM_Patron is offline  
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i differ on the fact that race gas doesnt build power....as stated i ran 111 at an eighth mile track....started nite off on premium and went almost completely empty so i bought 2 gallons of 111 and two passes later dropped two tenths of a second....same rpm launch 60 foot times were almost identical.....
909 Racing is offline  
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
E-NA6CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada, bitches!
Posts: 7,495
Images: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 Racing View Post
i differ on the fact that race gas doesnt build power....as stated i ran 111 at an eighth mile track....started nite off on premium and went almost completely empty so i bought 2 gallons of 111 and two passes later dropped two tenths of a second....same rpm launch 60 foot times were almost identical.....
You do realize you had less weight in your fuel cell, right? That will contribute to a lower time.



R.I.P. Chenhan

2008 600RR

2010 ZX-6R
E-NA6CE is offline  
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
CTM_Patron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PWZ, Fo Life!!!!
Posts: 11,156
Thanks: 2
Thanked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i run race fuel in my miata FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!
CTM_Patron is offline  
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
E-NA6CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada, bitches!
Posts: 7,495
Images: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM_Patron View Post
i run race fuel in my miata FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, you mean the car in your avatar, which is mine? You fucker. Stop fronting that it's yours.



R.I.P. Chenhan

2008 600RR

2010 ZX-6R
E-NA6CE is offline  
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 PM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
 
sincalirider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Visalia, Ca
Posts: 23,598
Thanks: 1,002
Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I thought the lead was good for the block as well? Doesn't it put a coat on the cylinder walls to give a lil protection IIRC?

sincalirider is offline  
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
CTM_Patron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PWZ, Fo Life!!!!
Posts: 11,156
Thanks: 2
Thanked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i eat lead for breakfast
CTM_Patron is offline  
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
E-NA6CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada, bitches!
Posts: 7,495
Images: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincalirider View Post
I thought the lead was good for the block as well? Doesn't it put a coat on the cylinder walls to give a lil protection IIRC?
Anything that coats the cylinder walls will boost compression. Wouldn't that be a bad thing? Secondly, wouldn't your rings prevent this from happening unless they were fucked up?



R.I.P. Chenhan

2008 600RR

2010 ZX-6R
E-NA6CE is offline  
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Knee Dragger
 
HighNoonHonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by opodden View Post
The lead will destroy the cat, if you still have that in your exhaust. It can also hurt some O2 sensors.
If you don't make any other changes to your bike, like raising the compression and/ or adjusting ignition timing, you will not see any benefits from race gas. With some types of race gas, power may go down because specific energy is less. The higher octane rating only signifies resistance to detonation. There are some types of race gas with higher energy density (oxygenated etc).
+1.... I agree with this insight.... I would suggest that you run what is suggested in your manual.. Unless you modify your ignition and exhaust the performance boost will only be a fraction of what it could be if you properly tune you engine per the fuel you are using... It's all about the Ratio's (fuel/air and number of carbon to oxygen bonds the make up the fuel).

you can put just about anything that burns in the tank... for instance i had to use acetone in another bike just to get to a gas station, not that this was a good idea but it worked. sure i took notice of a mild performance increase but at what cost??


HighNoonHonda is offline  
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:47 PM
*BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
 
sincalirider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Visalia, Ca
Posts: 23,598
Thanks: 1,002
Thanked 1,191 Times in 901 Posts
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
Anything that coats the cylinder walls will boost compression. Wouldn't that be a bad thing? Secondly, wouldn't your rings prevent this from happening unless they were fucked up?
I have to reread where I got that from, it was a while ago. But I remember hearing that too, that the lead was good for the motor. Something about filling any pits or imperfections in the cylinder wall. Microscopic ones of course but still some what beneficial non the less.

sincalirider is offline  
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
E-NA6CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada, bitches!
Posts: 7,495
Images: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincalirider View Post
I have to reread where I got that from, it was a while ago. But I remember hearing that too, that the lead was good for the motor. Something about filling any pits or imperfections in the cylinder wall. Microscopic ones of course but still some what beneficial non the less.
Ah, well that would make sense for sure. Albeit lead being a soft metal, it should just burn up or be expelled during the exhaust stroke. But it does make sense. I was thinking of an actual coating, bah ha ha ha. FML



R.I.P. Chenhan

2008 600RR

2010 ZX-6R
E-NA6CE is offline  
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Mad Chemist
 
WherzRoony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Central New York State, The Hills
Posts: 5,798
Images: 57
Thanks: 37
Thanked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM_Patron View Post
yea based on smell alone, race fuel ftw!!!! jhahahaha
+1000000000

I love that smell, I run a blend of it it in my chain saw, weed eater and a few other yard tools just for that intoxicating smell

It does give the chainsaw a bit more kick. I started using it because a lot of the pro loggers around here use it.

I Like My Guns Like Obama Likes His Voters: Undocumented

WherzRoony is offline  
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Knee Dragger
 
HighlyFavored0420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 248
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So why does Jesse James run it in EVERY project he makes, regardless if it's the stock engine or not?

'08 motofans custom - crg, akra, puig db, watsens, audi, IT tail light, tripage fe & gas cap, r&g, ddm


DIY HID on/off switch with LED running lights: https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=150450
HighlyFavored0420 is offline  
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
E-NA6CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada, bitches!
Posts: 7,495
Images: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyFavored0420 View Post
So why does Jesse James run it in EVERY project he makes, regardless if it's the stock engine or not?
Yeah well, you need to understand that he's a redneck. About as redneck as they come. If I could run leaded race fuel in all of my vehicles then I would. You also have to take into account that he has a fuel sponsor, which is probably why he does it.



R.I.P. Chenhan

2008 600RR

2010 ZX-6R
E-NA6CE is offline  
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Knee Dragger
 
HighlyFavored0420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 248
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
Yeah well, you need to understand that he's a redneck. About as redneck as they come. If I could run leaded race fuel in all of my vehicles then I would. You also have to take into account that he has a fuel sponsor, which is probably why he does it.
And I also put the in there to imply that I was being sarcastic.

'08 motofans custom - crg, akra, puig db, watsens, audi, IT tail light, tripage fe & gas cap, r&g, ddm


DIY HID on/off switch with LED running lights: https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=150450
HighlyFavored0420 is offline  
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
E-NA6CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada, bitches!
Posts: 7,495
Images: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyFavored0420 View Post
And I also put the in there to imply that I was being sarcastic.
Oh, ha ha ha ha ha ha. Fu*k me sideways. I thought you were doing that for other reasons (ie: the posters above were retarded or something).



R.I.P. Chenhan

2008 600RR

2010 ZX-6R
E-NA6CE is offline  
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
CTM_Patron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PWZ, Fo Life!!!!
Posts: 11,156
Thanks: 2
Thanked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
Oh, ha ha ha ha ha ha. Fu*k me sideways. I thought you were doing that for other reasons (ie: the posters above were retarded or something).
like when i quote nero and put
CTM_Patron is offline  
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
E-NA6CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada, bitches!
Posts: 7,495
Images: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM_Patron View Post
like when i quote nero and put
That's because you don't have the intellectual capacity to understand my technical responses. Don't hate.



R.I.P. Chenhan

2008 600RR

2010 ZX-6R
E-NA6CE is offline  
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
CTM_Patron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PWZ, Fo Life!!!!
Posts: 11,156
Thanks: 2
Thanked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
That's because you don't have the intellectual capacity to understand my technical responses. Don't hate.
.

in order to hate, i would have to be capable of feeling emotions, which i am not:all_cohol
CTM_Patron is offline  
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
E-NA6CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada, bitches!
Posts: 7,495
Images: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM_Patron View Post
.

in order to hate, i would have to be capable of feeling emotions, which i am not:all_cohol
You know where we sit on that. Damn right. Emotions are the enemy.



R.I.P. Chenhan

2008 600RR

2010 ZX-6R
E-NA6CE is offline  
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
CTM_Patron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PWZ, Fo Life!!!!
Posts: 11,156
Thanks: 2
Thanked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
You know where we sit on that. Damn right. Emotions are the enemy.
and my post count is bigger than yours, so HA! :all_cohol
CTM_Patron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome