Hi Everyone - New Bike - Exhaust question - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hi Everyone - New Bike - Exhaust question

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forums. A little about myself... I'm 19 years old, college student, i have a mother and a brother that i live with. And i just bought my first bike.

My first bike is a 2006 Honda CBR600RR. It's silver and black and has 15.5k miles. It had a full maintenance at the dealer, and i have a 100% warranty on the engine and transmission. I assume the person before me was stunting on it, since it has a full stunt cage around the motor. It also has a Vortex Racing sticker, R.TILLERY sticker, and K&N sticker on it. It also has a full fender and the stock exhaust.

So, i've only owned the bike for 3 days now, and im still learning more and more how to ride (i took a MSF class prior to buying my bike) and i've already locked my back tire up because i was cut off by a yukon, but it was also my fault i guess, because i didn't 'squeeze' my front brake enough as well. I don't quite know how much i can brake and at what speeds to slow my self down at a careful and safe rate. I kept the bike up, remembering the MSF class. (If the rear tire locks up, keep it locked until you come to a complete stop)

Anyways, moving onto the exhaust thing. Any ideas on exhaust guys? I want a really loud sounding exhaust, so people can hear me coming. I'm particularly looking for a good sounding loud exhaust through the lower rpms, for when im just cruising, or even 4th~6th gear city riding. And do you guys recommend a full exhaust or just a slip on. (i don't quite know what a full exhaust entails) . I know for a car, if you have a full exhaust it can be from your downpipe, or turbo all the way back to the back of your car.

Also, one more quick question about gear. Do you guys do ATGATT? And for you, what does ATGATT entail? Personally i ride with my brand new icon overlord jacket, some levi jeans, and high top basketball shoes. I was thinking of buying some work boots, would that be good? Of course i use a helmet and gloves too. I have a scorpion exo 500, and i believe they are called fox bomber gloves. Am i set up with good gear? I really want to ride safe and be riding for a long time, so any input helps. Thanks a lot guys!

Thanks for all your patients guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Welcome!! Post up pics of the bike

As for exhaust I'd say leo vince or two brothers for deeper sound. No need for a full exhaust unless you plan to track it. Just spend a while looking up YouTube videos.

As for gear buy yourself some real riding boots that will support your ankle so it doesn't shatter in a crash. And think about buying some knox knee protectors too. I don't own pants their really expensive and I'm a 19 year old college kid myself so I don't have an abundance if cash. Lol. But I bought alpinestars boots and knox cross lite knee pads. I think the cross lite. And they work and feel great

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asabon94 View Post
Welcome!! Post up pics of the bike

As for exhaust I'd say leo vince or two brothers for deeper sound. No need for a full exhaust unless you plan to track it. Just spend a while looking up YouTube videos.

As for gear buy yourself some real riding boots that will support your ankle so it doesn't shatter in a crash. And think about buying some knox knee protectors too. I don't own pants their really expensive and I'm a 19 year old college kid myself so I don't have an abundance if cash. Lol. But I bought alpinestars boots and knox cross lite knee pads. I think the cross lite. And they work and feel great

I need to take some better pictures of it, but i will! Yeah, i was already leaning towards those two, it will probably come down to which is cheaper, because im broke too! When you say real riding boots, you mean the 300+$ ones i see at the dealership?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1367077421.579037.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	59994Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1367077434.745217.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	60002Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1367077452.864331.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	60010Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1367077467.801693.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	60018

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

You don't have to drag knee to go fast around a track!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Theres some pictures of the bike, and me on it. They aren't great pictures, and when i used the upload option through my phone they came out with horrible quality. I'll take more later.

So, i wanted to ask people, what do you guys use to clean your bikes? And do you even clean the really tiny hard to reach areas?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Scooter71

You don't have to spend a ton to be protected. Knox Cross Lite knee/shin gaurds are awesome. The boots don't have to be $300+ if your street riding. S&S makes an awesome stret boot that are under $100. Jackets and helmets as well. There are several companies out there who make really good gear that can be very protective once (meaning if you if your on a budget.
I agree with Asabon, Leo or 2 bros for deep rich sound. Youtube is deff your friend here.

O yeah, welcome to the dot net.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter71 View Post
You don't have to spend a ton to be protected. Knox Cross Lite knee/shin gaurds are awesome. The boots don't have to be $300+ if your street riding. S&S makes an awesome stret boot that are under $100. Jackets and helmets as well. There are several companies out there who make really good gear that can be very protective once (meaning if you if your on a budget.
I agree with Asabon, Leo or 2 bros for deep rich sound. Youtube is deff your friend here.

O yeah, welcome to the dot net.
The boots i've seen are like 250+. Okay, let me search for S&S motorcycle boots and see what pulls up. So, wearing thick jeans is fine as long as i get some knee pad/shin protectors? Like i said, i have a Scorpion Exo 500 helmet, Fox Bomber gloves, Icon Overlord jacket. Yeah, definitely like the sounds.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Speed and strength hard knock life boots ftw!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Scooter71

Obviously the more protection u can afford the better off you'll be in an emergency situation. But, if u have thick jeans and knee/shin guards its much better than not wearing them. Every little bit helps in your protection, no matter what it is. Deff check out the S&S street riding boots great value and protection. I'm not sure if other brands make a similar shoe, I'm a huge S&S fan. I ride with their boots and textile jacket. But an all season textile, not mesh.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 10:28 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Dude... Just so you know, the odds are against you. You will most likely drop the bike soon. Plan on it. BUY GEAR!!! Don't worry about anything until you do. You will be hitting the ground.

"I've got GREAT news! , I just saved a bunch of money on my motorcycle insurance by outrunning the cops."

STOLEN

My Build - https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=241295

'08 Pearl Orange CBR600RR 20k miles - UPDATED 6/8/13
-Firstgear Heated Gear permanent setup
-Full iPhone setup
-Watsen Flushmounts
-JPR Shorty Levers
-SickHids CUSTOM LIGHTS!!!
-Akrapovic Slipon
-Tripage IT/LED Pegs
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Knee Dragger

For exhaust I would say TOCE or Hyperflow if you want them to be loud and different ... Hyperflow is too loud for me but again everyone has their own choice.... There are ton of exhaust threads if you search here... But in the end it's your choice

2009 CBR 600RR
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 11:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

If you have the cash for a new exhaust you can afford to get safe gear. It doesn't have to be super expensive but sneakers are for sure not going to help at all if you go down. Shop around for closeouts there are deals to be had.

Getting a loud exhaust for safety will make you popular with the Harley guys. Honestly though, it will be more effective at letting people hear you when you're leaving, not so much when you're approaching them. A few hours of practice in a parking lot will do 20x more good than at improving your safety than an exhaust. If you just want one because you want one then go for it.

Enjoy every minute of life!

Current stable:
05 Honda CBR 600RR (track only)
06 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
08 Honda CBR 1000RR (street only)
12 BMW K1600GTL

IBA# 57849

Motorcycle Road Trips I've Taken: http://lonemuser.blogspot.com/p/moto...rip-index.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Bimmerx2 For This Useful Post:
Miweber929 (04-28-2013)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysol View Post
Dude... Just so you know, the odds are against you. You will most likely drop the bike soon. Plan on it. BUY GEAR!!! Don't worry about anything until you do. You will be hitting the ground.

This is most likely true...every one of my buddies including myself all dropped our first bike in one way or another. Personally, I ride with an armored jacket and helmet of course. I was rocking Levi's and vans when I went down and luckily came out without a scratch at a 50 mph high side lol...

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Toce exhaust is beautiful by the way...

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter71 View Post
Obviously the more protection u can afford the better off you'll be in an emergency situation. But, if u have thick jeans and knee/shin guards its much better than not wearing them. Every little bit helps in your protection, no matter what it is. Deff check out the S&S street riding boots great value and protection. I'm not sure if other brands make a similar shoe, I'm a huge S&S fan. I ride with their boots and textile jacket. But an all season textile, not mesh.

Well i always wear my white and black icon overlord jacket (is it good?) Scorpion Exo 500 Helmet (white) and a pair of levi's. I wear high top Nike shoes, or Jordans, but usually Nikes, because it has padding and a strap around the ankle. I've looked at those boots, and i really do not like them. I want to get some mid top caterpillar, or timberland boots. Will those be okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysol View Post

I know this, that's why i'm preparing for it. Everyone drops their bike at some point! Believe me, i'm not trying to be ignorant about this. I'm actually even contemplating buying some actual motorcycle pants, but then wouldn't it just be more cost effective to buy a full jump suit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krrish View Post
For exhaust I would say TOCE or Hyperflow if you want them to be loud and different ... Hyperflow is too loud for me but again everyone has their own choice.... There are ton of exhaust threads if you search here... But in the end it's your choice

Thanks, i've never checked those out, but im now youtubing it in another tab! I really like the sound of the dual black toce! I wonder if anyone on here would be selling some used ones that would fit an 06 cbr 600 rr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerx2 View Post
If you have the cash for a new exhaust you can afford to get safe gear. It doesn't have to be super expensive but sneakers are for sure not going to help at all if you go down. Shop around for closeouts there are deals to be had.

Getting a loud exhaust for safety will make you popular with the Harley guys. Honestly though, it will be more effective at letting people hear you when you're leaving, not so much when you're approaching them. A few hours of practice in a parking lot will do 20x more good than at improving your safety than an exhaust. If you just want one because you want one then go for it.
When i got my bike, i was fresh off the MSF course, so i took the bike home from the dealer, then the next day i spent 3 hours in my local CC parking lot getting out of first, and into second smoothly. I still stall every now and then, but now im not slow at leaving a light and i have very light jump when shifting into 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagg92 View Post
This is most likely true...every one of my buddies including myself all dropped our first bike in one way or another. Personally, I ride with an armored jacket and helmet of course. I was rocking Levi's and vans when I went down and luckily came out without a scratch at a 50 mph high side lol...

Lucky you man, i hope i end up dropping it at a red light coming to a stop, as opposed to low siding a turn at 40~60 mph! But really, i hope i don't drop it at all! lol/ Thats one of the reasons why i wanted a gsxr, because with a gsxr, i could get both of my feet comfortably down, flat footed. With the CBR, i get both my feet down, with the front 4/5th of my foot on the ground and my heel barely up.

I love my CBR! Does anyone ride in LA? Van Nuys / North Hollywood / Sherman Oaks area?

Also, how often do people sell used exhausts here and are legit about it? I want a toce exhaust.

One more thing, i tried on knee/shin guards, and they are really uncomfortable and feel like they will just rip off if i was to hit the ground, plus did i mention that they are extremely uncomfortable for me?! Alternatives?

Thanks everyone for all the constructive criticism.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 03:10 AM
Knee Dragger

If you go with a full exhaust be prepared to buy an air intake and do some efi mapping. For now I'd just go with a slip on. Two bros will probably give you the sound you're looking for.

Also I'd go with a cf slip on to reduce heat under your ass but be prepared to drop a little more $$$

Last edited by The Lion War; 04-28-2013 at 03:15 AM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Knee Dragger

People are always selling stuff here. I picked up a Yoshi carbon tipped RS-5 on here for under $200, barely used, sounds great, and was easy on the wallet. It's loud when I want it to be, and I can cruise pretty low key if I'm riding late night or early morning.

Knee pads and shin guards are very uncomfortable, except for the Knox cross light. They are comfortable and stay in place. Knox is one of the premier armor companies out there. Definitely take a look at their stuff.

Boots, I'd stay away from any boot or shoe that isn't designed for a motorcycle. A lot of members on here have or have at least tried the Cortech Latigo Air boot. It's a full boot without the full price, Sportbiketrackgear.com carries them for $143.99 a pair. Definitely worth looking into.

Your jacket is just fine, if you do go down at speed it will more than likely only protect you for that one time, meaning you'll need a new jacket, but I ride with an Icon Hooligan in the summer time, I love it.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 05:48 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Here's a good site to check out. The guys buys "last year's" motorcycle gear in bulk and sells it at a heavy discount. He has some awesome deals on gear. Idk about boots, but you should definitely check it out.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

As far as the exhaust, you're new to this sport, but you've probaly noticed that your exhaust points out the back of the bike. A loud exhaust will not keep you safer, unless you plan to ride backward. It will make you an anti-social retard. That being said, there are lots of anti-social retards around and if you want to be one, have at it. If you're actually concerned about safety, buy some boots, read some books on riding, and get some advanced training.

Sorry to harsh your buzz on the exhaust thing, but sometimes a buzz must be harshed for the betterment of mankind.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 07:34 AM
Scooter71

Jonnie I use to ride with somebody who wore timberlands all the time, he went down twice in a short period and he was fine, not to say he wasn't lucky. But safety should always be first priortity before mods. If you look at some of the riding boots, you'll notice that they have the strap to cover the laces (if they have laces) so they don't fly up and get caught up on something (shifter, brake lever, chain...etc) and they also have the TPU rubber piece on the tops of the foor. Preserving the boot and helping with shifting. You can never be too safe on 2 wheels, it's the other person you need to worry about not you.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Knee Dragger

Buy gear before exhaust

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Gear up man! Seriously you will not regret it if you go down with gear on. I read somewhere, imagine being bareback and sprinting down a paved road as fast as you can. Then do a dolphin dive. Your skin is going to peel off like butter. Now imagine falling at 60 mph, it would be a lot worse.

GEAR GEAR GEAR!

Oh ya and congrats on the bike! Have fun!
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Listen to the guys in this forum man. They really know what they are talking about. Gear up first. Spend the extra money on nice boots, gloves and a helmet. It seems like your wearing the minimum for the MSF. While that may suffice in a controlled environment with 250 cc bikes, it will not help much on the street.
If you go do at any significant speed at all (over 40 mph) your basketball shoes will shred and tear apart and your jeans will be nothing more than fibers mixed in with your road rash. Cheap gloves will rip/tear (or come off). Invest in quality gear such as a nice pair of riding boots and gauntlet gloves.

I purchased new A* SMX Plus boots and SP-1 gloves for around 325 total. Which is much cheaper than most slip on exhausts. Gear up before mods man, it is worth it.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Forget the basketball shoes mate, may as well go barefoot. Gloves, jacket, pants, boots and a helmet. Most common place for an injury in a motorcycle accident is the legs, including the ankles, don't half ass it and you'll be right.

Oh, and keep the stunt cage on, you'll be thankful for it later...
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 03:07 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

i agree with all riders here, safety first, get a great riding boots and maybe a leather jacket then when you feel more comfortable with youre riding start with the accesories....and ride safe man!!!!

'06 600rr orange tribal SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Black w/Red
Smoke WindScreen
2Wheels Short Levers Black
Shogun Bar ends
Renthal Grips
Swing Arm Sliders carbon look
Sliders Carbon look
Ebc Front double H brake pads
Ebc Rear double H brake pads
Ddm HID Kit 5k w/35 Slim B.
DNA AIR FILTER
GEAR.
Alpinestars Textile Jacket
Teknic Chicane Leather Jacket
Nexx XR1R Carbon White
AGV Ti Tech Rossi IL LAUREATO replica
AGV GP Tech Super Sic LE Replica

Shoei RF1000 Jocker
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieR View Post
Hi everyone, i'm new to the forums. A little about myself... I'm 19 years old, college student, i have a mother and a brother that i live with. And i just bought my first bike.

My first bike is a 2006 Honda CBR600RR. It's silver and black and has 15.5k miles. It had a full maintenance at the dealer, and i have a 100% warranty on the engine and transmission. I assume the person before me was stunting on it, since it has a full stunt cage around the motor. It also has a Vortex Racing sticker, R.TILLERY sticker, and K&N sticker on it. It also has a full fender and the stock exhaust.

So, i've only owned the bike for 3 days now, and im still learning more and more how to ride (i took a MSF class prior to buying my bike) and i've already locked my back tire up because i was cut off by a yukon, but it was also my fault i guess, because i didn't 'squeeze' my front brake enough as well. I don't quite know how much i can brake and at what speeds to slow my self down at a careful and safe rate. I kept the bike up, remembering the MSF class. (If the rear tire locks up, keep it locked until you come to a complete stop)

Anyways, moving onto the exhaust thing. Any ideas on exhaust guys? I want a really loud sounding exhaust, so people can hear me coming. I'm particularly looking for a good sounding loud exhaust through the lower rpms, for when im just cruising, or even 4th~6th gear city riding. And do you guys recommend a full exhaust or just a slip on. (i don't quite know what a full exhaust entails) . I know for a car, if you have a full exhaust it can be from your downpipe, or turbo all the way back to the back of your car.

Also, one more quick question about gear. Do you guys do ATGATT? And for you, what does ATGATT entail? Personally i ride with my brand new icon overlord jacket, some levi jeans, and high top basketball shoes. I was thinking of buying some work boots, would that be good? Of course i use a helmet and gloves too. I have a scorpion exo 500, and i believe they are called fox bomber gloves. Am i set up with good gear? I really want to ride safe and be riding for a long time, so any input helps. Thanks a lot guys!

Thanks for all your patients guys.
Yes, I do ATGATT. Helmet, Full Gauntlet gloves, Race Boots, Leather Jacket, Back Protector...and I'm looking into riding jeans,chest protector, and underpants padding since I just got back into street riding. Can you tell I've been down before?? lol

Jeans will do nothing during a crash with pavement, work boots will help a little if they don't come over but they aren't going to help stablize your ankle during a crash or impact.

Don't rely on a loud exhaust to save you....use defensive riding techniques (don't ride in blind spots, assume all cars are trying to run you over...because they are, allow substantial following distance...etc) ...so save this for much further down the road.

The most important thing about using the front brake is too be smooth with it. Allow the weight transfer to occur...once that has happened, on a good warm day, after riding for a bit, on a clean surface.... you can pretty much smoothly grab a handful of front brake (warning: this will stop you extremely quickly and can cause the bike to flip forward) Before trying that..practice at very slow speeds, transferring the weight over the front tire an applying a fair amount of front brake.

Your rear brake is useful in bad traction conditions, very slow speed manuvers, and to aid in "stretching out" the bike while applying the front brake. I personally recommend adjusting the rear brake so that it takes a decent amount of pressure to barely engage...that way in panic situations you do not lock up the rear and have the back end step out on you.

'07 CBR600RR Track-Only Demon!
Nesba/N2/PRE/TPM/Roger Lyle "A" Group // CCS #306

'08 GSXR 600 Blue ~ Current Bike
'07 Yamaha R6 Blue ~ SOLD
'08 CBR600RR Silver ~ SOLD
'06 Yamaha R6 Black ~ SOLD
'08 GSXR 600 TrackOnly ~ SOLD
'08 GSXR 600 White ~ SOLD
'08 Yamaha R6 ~ SOLD
'07 GSXR 750 ~ SOLD
'12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory ~ Crashed/SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Black ~ SOLD
'09 CBR600RR Phoenix TrackOnly ~SOLD
'09 CBR600RR Red/Black ~SOLD
'07 CBR600RR Blue/Silver ~SOLD

Last edited by crashkhanman; 05-01-2013 at 03:53 PM.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Knee Dragger

Welcome to 600rr.net!

Get a Leo Vince slip-on! Love mine. No need for a full exhaust. PM BioHazardCycles they hooked me up.

As for gear, i'm always in my jacket and gloves. When I hit freeways or canyons add pants and boots to the mix. Bert's has Dianese TRQ boots for $199! Great deal and one of the best boots you can buy. MOST boots don't have good ankle support, I'd avoid those.

Also, I see you're in Southern California! Hit up LAMR on facebook! We always have meetups! A lot of us are college aged.

Hope to see you on the road!

2008 CBR600RR Red/Black
Leo Vince 8280 Slip-On
Woodcraft Frame Sliders
DDM 35W 4500K HIDs
the2wheels Levers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page