Is ceramic coating the headers beneficial? - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is ceramic coating the headers beneficial?

I have a set of arrow headers SS. Would it be beneficial to get the headers ceramic coated? I just removed my stock headers and haven't installed the arrow set yet just in case it is really worth getting them ceramic coated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Knee Dragger

i googled it and seems to lower the temperature of it by a lot, question is if it affects the sound and if honestly its beneficial, but i haven't herd anything that's super impressive coming out of ceramic headers to be worth the cost.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 04:35 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

doesnt seem beneficial to a bike, under the hood of a car definitely

06 CBR600F4I
09 CBR600RR
01 750 Shadow

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 05:11 PM
BOTM Winner 11/13

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Wanted to get mine done just because I don't like that my pipes are a brownish color and my mid pipe and exhuast are black but T doesn't do it anymore so maybe ill ask the local shop. Looks good but like the guy above said not sure how much it would actually make a difference on a bike since the headers get a lot of air anyway

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i got mine ceramic coated but i haven't gotten out on the bike yet... gonna get it dynoed next month sometime although i don't have anything to compare it to, but it'll be cool to see how much hp she puts out... there are benefits to ceramic coating but i think they're all pretty minimal... i got my headers and midpipe done for $190 so it's not overly expensive... i really like how the color came out though, and since i took all the heat shields off it helps a lot with the heat coming from the midpipe where my legs are... can hardly feel the heat when bike was idling... i found this on the net too... hope it helps

http://www.coolconceptspc.com/ceramic_coatings.html

Benefits of Ceramics:
• Decent range of colors available, with more coming every year. The most popular colors available are a ceramic “chrome,” semi-gloss black, satin black and aluminum.
• Withstands a wide range of heat. Ceramics really shine where powders or paint cannot. Ceramics generally operate best in the 1100F – 2000F range and are considered “bulletproof” for cast iron manifolds.
• A ceramic coated set of header pipes will last many more years than ones with header paint. Powder coats will not last beyond the first engine start.
• Ceramics block excessive heat radiation, with 130F+ temperature drops recorded by major trade publications like HOT ROD magazine. The thermal protection provided by ceramic coatings will extend the life of other engine components, especially electronics, through reduced exposure to heat. Thermal barriers applied to complete exhaust systems will reduce floorboard and firewall heat.
• Minor performance boost. Dyno tests have revealed power gains of 8-10 hp in a 550 hp engine. This is mainly due to the heat barriers trapping heat inside the header pipes and increasing exhaust velocity. It was also acknowledged that more gains could be had when installed in an engine bay, where hot air robs power. Ceramics may also be applied to internal engine parts, creating less drag and longer burn cycles during engine operation.
• Durable coats. Ceramics are much tougher than paints and match powder in durability.
• Rust protection. Select ceramics provide excellent rust protection against the elements.
• Good chemical resistance.

man and machine... to be one is just a dream... the corner and the lean that's what i mean... blowin some steam relaxing it may seem... addicted like a fiend...

Mod Thread: https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=281508

The Following User Says Thank You to tzy32 For This Useful Post:
Dizzymagoo (04-29-2013)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you guys are on glue if you think ceramic coating is going to increase hp haha...

all its for is corrosion protection and keeping header temps down and its going to transfer all the heat to the next metal part in your exhaust that isnt coated...mid pipe and can.

i seriously doubt youd even notice much of a difference on a bike since the headers are exposed to air directly, and unless you have each header tapped for an EGT sensor you wont be able to tell the diff.

under a high hp cars hood its a different story and will be a dramatic decrease in temps.

Last edited by schissler; 04-29-2013 at 11:56 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 03:26 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
None of the members above said that an increase in HP will occur and that it justifies the cost for performance. I think you might be on glue because you are reading what you want to read.

2011 CBR600RR 'X-Ray' Build Thread
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=294795

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Rage View Post
None of the members above said that an increase in HP will occur and that it justifies the cost for performance. I think you might be on glue because you are reading what you want to read.
Really?
quoted from above
Minor performance boost. Dyno tests have revealed power gains of 8-10 hp in a 550 hp engine. This is mainly due to the heat barriers trapping heat inside the header pipes and increasing exhaust velocity. It was also acknowledged that more gains could be had when installed in an engine bay, where hot air robs power. Ceramics may also be applied to internal engine parts, creating less drag and longer burn cycles during engine operation.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by schissler View Post
Really?
quoted from above
Minor performance boost. Dyno tests have revealed power gains of 8-10 hp in a 550 hp engine. This is mainly due to the heat barriers trapping heat inside the header pipes and increasing exhaust velocity. It was also acknowledged that more gains could be had when installed in an engine bay, where hot air robs power. Ceramics may also be applied to internal engine parts, creating less drag and longer burn cycles during engine operation.
Dude, that came from the website quoted by one of the posters. All I'm saying is, no need for the hostility.

2011 CBR600RR 'X-Ray' Build Thread
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=294795

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.

Last edited by Rad Rage; 04-30-2013 at 11:59 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Im happy performance actually mentioned because I wanted to make sure that performance wouldn't be decreased, I'm not extremely knowledgable but I wasn't sure if the ceramic coat would cause the bike to run too cold causing a deficit in efficiency. But I'm probably thinking too hard about this

I'm going to pass on the ceramic coat because I figure if I coat all of arrow header parts and not my slip on then I'm just going to ruin my slip on. I have a hyper-flo slip so I don't want to chance the carbon fiber to get discolored (yellowish) due to excessive heat.

Thanks for the comments because I couldn't find any solid info on the topic when I read some of the other threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page