Ever pass the rev limiter(over rev) - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
prevee91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Broward County,Fl
Posts: 60
Thanks: 11
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ever pass the rev limiter(over rev)

I have seen lots of people bang the rev limiter @ around 15.5k on our bikes.
Has anyone ever buzzed past that rev limiter and have the motor survive? Im wondering if pc37's and pc40's can actually hit the end of the red line(17k) a couple times and not pop!
prevee91 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 AM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer
 
Ldn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,061
Thanks: 26
Thanked 334 Times in 273 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The rev limiter is there because Honda knows no matter how high they set it, people are going to hit it.

It's not actually the maximum revs your engine can handle. It's the safety margin put in place to ensure your engine doesn't get outside of safe ranges. Believe it or not, your engine, running at max revs, isn't under any more stress than what the manufacture expected it to be put under. All their testing is under worst case scenario.

So when the manufacture recommends that you change your oil every 3k miles with 10w-30 or 10w-40 its under the assumption that it was 3k miles of redline.

Additionally, your bike is designed to operate in the higher rev ranges, that's why your power-band is 7k-14/15k.

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)
Ldn is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ldn For This Useful Post:
duffman2340 (06-25-2013)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Israel
Posts: 236
Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how can you pass the rev limiter, when the name says it all "rev LIMIT-er",
p.s. the pc37 and pc40 are just german terms for the cbr600rr + years, its not like a special model

elul21 is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Knee Dragger
 
FastKastCBR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 196
Thanks: 15
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldn View Post
The rev limiter is there because Honda knows no matter how high they set it, people are going to hit it.

It's not actually the maximum revs your engine can handle. It's the safety margin put in place to ensure your engine doesn't get outside of safe ranges. Believe it or not, your engine, running at max revs, isn't under any more stress than what the manufacture expected it to be put under. All their testing is under worst case scenario.

So when the manufacture recommends that you change your oil every 3k miles with 10w-30 or 10w-40 its under the assumption that it was 3k miles of redline.

Additionally, your bike is designed to operate in the higher rev ranges, that's why your power-band is 7k-14/15k.
for this guy ^
FastKastCBR6 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer
 
Ldn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,061
Thanks: 26
Thanked 334 Times in 273 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by elul21 View Post
how can you pass the rev limiter, when the name says it all "rev LIMIT-er",
p.s. the pc37 and pc40 are just german terms for the cbr600rr + years, its not like a special model
The rev limit can be increased. And it sometimes becomes necessary when you start messing with valve timing. All it takes is a reprogram of your ECU, or a piggy back system like the Bazzaz, I think the PCV can modify your RPM limits as well. I know it can do pit limit but I don't know if it can increase.


Sent from Motorcycle.com App

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)
Ldn is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Pocketbike Racer
 
schissler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 480
Thanks: 0
Thanked 47 Times in 36 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
its called a rev limiter for a reason...you set it to where you dont wanna go past...unless you remapped and changed it you cant go past factory settings.

as above its just a safety margin.

not sure what they balance the motors too but im sure it can spin 17k all day long.....will it make power that high??? probably not, so your wasting your time exceeding the powerband.

id NEVER run a motor without a rev limiter set though....one miss shift and full throttle grip will mess some things up if theres no ignition cut at some point.
schissler is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer
 
Ldn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,061
Thanks: 26
Thanked 334 Times in 273 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by schissler View Post
id NEVER run a motor without a rev limiter set though....one miss shift and full throttle grip will mess some things up if theres no ignition cut at some point.
The only thing worse would be to disengage your clutch on a dyno.


Sent from Motorcycle.com App

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)
Ldn is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ldn For This Useful Post:
Repsol185 (06-26-2013)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
dmc41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southeastern, Ohio
Posts: 3,325
Thanks: 242
Thanked 336 Times in 303 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldn View Post
The only thing worse would be to disengage your clutch on a dyno.


Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I'm still new to a lot of this... Could you explain this.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldn View Post
I'm glad lines have been identified...even if it is all the way at bukake....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
no he's not... I can already tell he's a soulless little fawker who is going to destroy everything you love


My long not exciting build, but I have hyperflo's
dmc41 is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
Bridge_Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Land O' Cheese
Posts: 7,440
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
just saw this while browsing the dark alley's of youtube


2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
Bridge_Jumper is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
dmc41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southeastern, Ohio
Posts: 3,325
Thanks: 242
Thanked 336 Times in 303 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
just saw this while browsing the dark alley's of youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFbfXF6toYk
Why would someone do that?!


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldn View Post
I'm glad lines have been identified...even if it is all the way at bukake....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
no he's not... I can already tell he's a soulless little fawker who is going to destroy everything you love


My long not exciting build, but I have hyperflo's
dmc41 is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:29 PM
Moto GP Racer
 
Bridge_Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Land O' Cheese
Posts: 7,440
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I dunno.. poor bike :(

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
Bridge_Jumper is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Knee Dragger
 
carlosdelreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 204
Thanks: 6
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
just saw this while browsing the dark alley's of youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFbfXF6toYk
In the end it sounded like he said "we're still gonna blow the engine" :confused: why:(

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
carlosdelreal is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Pocketbike Racer
 
dagg92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Snohomish Washington
Posts: 460
Thanks: 40
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
just saw this while browsing the dark alley's of youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFbfXF6toYk
Wow. Dumbass.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
dagg92 is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero
 
prevee91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Broward County,Fl
Posts: 60
Thanks: 11
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
elul21 how can you pass the rev limiter, when the name says it all "rev LIMIT-er",
p.s. the pc37 and pc40 are just german terms for the cbr600rr + years, its not like a special model
I believe you can over-rev the rev limiter by red lining any gear and then accidentally or intentionally gearing down. For example, banging the rev limiter in 3rd gear and then suddenly gearing down to 2nd. I would/could imagine a popped motor if left beyond the rev limiter range for a long time. I dont plan on doing so. I simply wondering because I've been watching some TT races online and I noticed a couple bikes over rev and pop.Nothing but white and bluish smoke everywhere. Not a pretty sight for sure. I think those 600cc class bikes are road engines converted to race engines that are spinning way beyond factory settings. Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought pc37 is the engine # or name for 03-06 and pc40 for 07-12.

Thanks Fellas
prevee91 is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Knee Dragger
 
jeph054's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 113
Thanks: 12
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by prevee91 View Post
I believe you can over-rev the rev limiter by red lining any gear and then accidentally or intentionally gearing down. For example, banging the rev limiter in 3rd gear and then suddenly gearing down to 2nd. I would/could imagine a popped motor if left beyond the rev limiter range for a long time. I dont plan on doing so. I simply wondering because I've been watching some TT races online and I noticed a couple bikes over rev and pop.Nothing but white and bluish smoke everywhere. Not a pretty sight for sure. I think those 600cc class bikes are road engines converted to race engines that are spinning way beyond factory settings. Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought pc37 is the engine # or name for 03-06 and pc40 for 07-12.

Thanks Fellas
Race engines are a completely different beast then stock or road engines as you put it. If that is the case then it would make sense as the point of a race engine is not reliability,well they want it relibable for that race but not 50K miles... but for power. So the shave here delete there lighten it up everywhere...so blowing them up is pretty easy...epecially the way racers ride em...They strip every non-essential component off.
jeph054 is offline  
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
TheX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 14,352
Images: 2
Thanks: 129
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,722 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by schissler View Post
.unless you remapped and changed it you cant go past factory settings.
That's BS, you can exceed redline with aggressive downshifting.
TheX is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TheX For This Useful Post:
NigelJeeves (06-26-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome