Help with a decision? - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with a decision?

Went for a long ride yesterday with my buddy. I'm on an 03, he's on an 04.

We filled up, drove 55 miles to our first destination, and then 32 miles to our second destination.

At that point I had 2 bars left on my fuel gauge, he had half a tank. I figured I was getting something like 26 MPG on that trip. Pretty damn bad.

I want to get this improved on, so I have some choices to make. I called a local service shop and they said it could be any number of things. They said $180 just to start going through some of the possible reasons I'm getting such bad fuel mileage.

Could be plugs.

Could be air intake.

Could be the slip-on (Yosh RS-5)

He also has a power commander, so that makes a difference.

So my question to you all is this:

Would you drop the $180 to have a shop figure it out, OR would you use the $180 to start changing out old parts that probably need to be changed out anyway and see if it makes a difference?

Hell, for $180 I could buy a power commander.

Anyway, just wanted to get some input. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I'm no expert but I had an 03 and fitted a yoshi rs5 and never noticed any difference in fuel consumption?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to Oneshotdunc For This Useful Post:
Run and Gun (08-11-2013)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneshotdunc View Post
I'm no expert but I had an 03 and fitted a yoshi rs5 and never noticed any difference in fuel consumption?

The problem is, I had the bike for a very short time before putting the Yosh on, and never did a long ride, so I have no real basis for comparison. I'm doubting that's the problem though. I just hate to spend money having a shop figure something out that I could have done myself.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What's your current setup?

Total Milage?
-Since last oil change
-Since last plug change
-Since last air filter swap
-Since last chain/sprocket swap

What is your current gearing front and rear?

Are you running an exhaust? Full or slipon?
Do you have a Power Commander?
Fuel Injection Module?

What kind of gas are you running?

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ldn For This Useful Post:
Run and Gun (08-11-2013)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

For the shop to charge you $180 to look is pretty standard. Everything I wrote above could affect your consumption. So it really just comes down to what you need to get done. If you can take the time look at your plugs in addition to everything above and it will start to give you more information on what's going on.

When I was riding street I was getting about 140m to a tank with a full exhaust tuned for performance, PCIII, Race filter with +2 rear gearing, so 26mpg is kinda really low.

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

Run and Gun (08-11-2013)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldn View Post
What's your current setup?

Total Milage?
-Since last oil change
-Since last plug change
-Since last air filter swap
-Since last chain/sprocket swap

What is your current gearing front and rear?

Are you running an exhaust? Full or slipon?
Do you have a Power Commander?
Fuel Injection Module?
I really need to log this stuff.

Total Mileage? Just hit 19,000
- Since last oil change? We just changed it maybe 400 or 500 miles ago.
-Since last plug change? No idea. Got the bike a few months ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've never been changed.
-Since last air filter swap? Again, I have no idea. The kid I got the bike from had no kind of service log or anything.
-Since last chain/sprocket swap? Probably never on the chain. The rear sprocket isn't stock, so I know that was changed out.

What is your current gearing front and rear? Not sure.

Are you running an exhaust? Full or slipon? Just a slip-on. Yosh RS-5
Do you have a Power Commander? No
Fuel Injection Module? Not sure.

I'm not super mechanically inclined, my buddy helps me out with most of the work, so I can try to find out more.

Do you think it's worth the money to have the shop dig around and see how everything looks?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldn View Post
For the shop to charge you $180 to look is pretty standard. Everything I wrote above could affect your consumption. So it really just comes down to what you need to get done. If you can take the time look at your plugs in addition to everything above and it will start to give you more information on what's going on.

When I was riding street I was getting about 140m to a tank with a full exhaust tuned for performance, PCIII, Race filter with +2 rear gearing, so 26mpg is kinda really low.
Trust me, I know. I hadn't really noticed because I was just doing short trips and it hadn't really registered, but yesterday it was plainly obvious that something was very wrong. And it's not like I'm running the engine hard. I was staying around 5000-6000 revs the whole trip.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run and Gun View Post
Do you think it's worth the money to have the shop dig around and see how everything looks?

I would say no.

Have your friend help you change your plugs, air filter, chain and sprockets. If you want mileage go back to stock gearing.

Plugs - $50
Air filter - $45
Chain/Sprockets - $120-$160

Cost to investigate - $180

The above needs to be done anyway and will most likely fix your problem. If it doesn't than your problem will likely be internal or electrical but that's highly unlikely as you would be experiencing other problems as well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Run and Gun (08-12-2013)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Knee Dragger

I have a friend who has a 08 just like me an because of her aftermarket rear sprocket she dont get near the gas mileage I do so that right there could be up . problem

08 CBR 600RR
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
How similar are you and your buddy weight wise? Weight plays a huge part in fuel mileage. Also tires, what are each of you using, again goes back to weight, I know Michelins are a lot lighter than Dunlops, that is also rotating mass, 1 pound of rotating mass is the same as 1.5 pounds of rigid mass.

Tuning can also have a huge effect on fuel mileage. Changing a pipe will change your fuel mixtures, a rich fuel mixture will use more fuel than a lean mixture, so if his is dangerously lean and yours is dangerously rich you will both see two very different readings.

As everyone said before also, your gearing can hurt you severely. Easiest way to compare your gearing to his is to ride side by side at 60 MPH. If you are both at 60 MPH on your speedo and one of you is traveling faster than the other, or if you are both a different RPM levels obviously one of your gearings are off.

Simply put, engines are air pumps. The more air in and the more out, the more power it will make. Making power and fuel efficiency, believe it or not, go hand in hand. An engine that makes more power (more efficient) will use less fuel and air to accelerate the same mass.

If I can make 100 hp with 3 oz of fuel but you need 4 oz of fuel to make 100 hp, who is going to get better mileage?

Street: 2009 CBR600RR Metallic black Track: 2007 GSXR 600 black/white/blue
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
How similar are you and your buddy weight wise? Weight plays a huge part in fuel mileage. Also tires, what are each of you using, again goes back to weight, I know Michelins are a lot lighter than Dunlops, that is also rotating mass, 1 pound of rotating mass is the same as 1.5 pounds of rigid mass.

Tuning can also have a huge effect on fuel mileage. Changing a pipe will change your fuel mixtures, a rich fuel mixture will use more fuel than a lean mixture, so if his is dangerously lean and yours is dangerously rich you will both see two very different readings.

As everyone said before also, your gearing can hurt you severely. Easiest way to compare your gearing to his is to ride side by side at 60 MPH. If you are both at 60 MPH on your speedo and one of you is traveling faster than the other, or if you are both a different RPM levels obviously one of your gearings are off.

Simply put, engines are air pumps. The more air in and the more out, the more power it will make. Making power and fuel efficiency, believe it or not, go hand in hand. An engine that makes more power (more efficient) will use less fuel and air to accelerate the same mass.

If I can make 100 hp with 3 oz of fuel but you need 4 oz of fuel to make 100 hp, who is going to get better mileage?
He's probably around 175 and I'm like 195. He's 5'10 and I'm 6'1. I think he's on some Bridgestones and I have some Pirelli Diablo's.

Thanks for the input guys. I feel like going to the shop is a waste. I really need to change all these parts anyway, so I'm thinking I should at least start there and if that doesn't do it, then I'll think about going to a professional.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The second set of fuel injectors comes on at 5500RPM (not sure if that is all RRs but it may be.) With stock gearing, you can cruise under that threshold in 6th gear. With taller gearing you can't, which affects fuel consumption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page