micron dual outlet - need help from others who have installed - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
micron dual outlet - need help from others who have installed

Hey,

I just picked up a used Micron Dual Outlet.

It came with the can itself plus the mid pipe and two clamps.

I didn't get any instructions but from reading through about 10 pages of Micron related threads on here I think I could do the install in my sleep :)

What I need help with is figuring out if I've got all the parts I need and if there are any specific details in the instructions that I need to know. I read something about using silicone at the collectors (connections) and there is some silicone residue on the midpipe.

So, any help you can provide would be great.

Thank you!!!

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Well, I got some time this morning and I dove into it. The mid pipe seemed to be way too big for the header so I fashioned an adapter out of some stainless sheetmetal and some high heat gasket material. The heatshield that bolts to the top of the can was interferring with the under body pan under the seat so I trimmed it off just forward of the can. So while the can still has that stock shield on it, the top of the pipe doesn't anymore. Once bolted up it all fit real nice and I only have a very small leak at the header-to-midpipe connection. You can only feel it at idle... when at a higher rpm you can't feel it... I guess the gases are just going too fast... I dunno.

It looks and sounds awesome!

So maybe there was something missing in this kit... like an adapter or something... but after a little fabrication (that you can't see) I guess it was well worth the $80 I paid for it. Yeah, I got the deal of a lifetime... an eBay auction that no one bid on that I stumbled on with only about 3 hours left. I almost got it for $30 but someone bid on it with 30 sec left and I ended up getting it for the $80. I still can't believe it!

So if anyone can clear up this issue with the connection I'd just like to know... just so I know whether the seller gave me everything or not. Maybe they all fit this way?

Thanks!!!

Cheers,

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
here is their link you can always call them
very helpful tech support
http://www.micron-exhaust.com/

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks!

I'm guessing that since no one responded that I might have the wrong mid-pipe. From the looks of it the previous owner clamped it down without making an adapter... it was all bent in like a cone. I bet he had one helluva exhaust leak that way!

I rode 'er in to work today (about 35 miles) and it was great!

Well, if anyone has any info to share I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the lead to Micron. I sent them an email, we'll see what I get back.

THANKS!

Cheers,

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Okay... I gotta say WOW! Micron called me back within minutes of sending in a form on their website. I spoke with Steve Larson there and we determined that I must have gotten a 1KRR mid-pipe or the guy before me must have expanded it with a die or something. He liked my solution and recommended either some high heat silicon, Honda Seal(?) or a new mid-pipe to remedy the small exhaust leak. I think I'm gonna leave it the way it is for now... you can't hear it and you can hardly even feel it.

I also spoke with him about this site and he extended an interesting offer to us that I will share with the moderators/admins. Keep an eye out for some cool info on here in the future!

Cheers,

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 04:05 PM

Let me know about the deal Zymer, I was just looking at those new dual outlets and they are nice looking, and how in the world did you get that for $80? Does the guy not know what a reserve is, or you think he let it go because of the mid pipe deal?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 04:59 PM

yes that is a nice pipe! I got one new and didnt have any problems installing it. You probably have the wrong mid pipe!

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Yeah, the dude at Micron and I really couldn't figure out what happened. But I do think the previous owner was just trying to unload it. I just stumbled on the auction and was surprised to see that no one had bid on it.

The pipe seems like there was very few miles on it. I wiped my finger in it and it barely had any carbon build up.

My guess is that the previous owner got the pipe and it was accidentally shipped with the wrong mid-pipe. He went ahead and clamped it down and used it. He then got tired of the leak and the noise and must have thought that he couldn't return it at that point. I'm guessing he just thought he'd pawn it off on someone (like me). Who knows really... he wouldn't return my emails after I got it and realized it wouldn't fit :)

So I just created that adapter. It works for me and it's worth the $80 thats for sure.

The Micron guy's theory: the previous owner tried to adapt a stock kit to a different header and expanded it with a die too much and then clamped it down.

I dunno... at this point it doesn't really matter. I got it to work and the Micron guys were super helpful and someday if I have the tail off I'll go back in and seal that very small leak.

Oh, and I don't want to mislead anyone... that's just some INFO I'm talking about... not a deal. It's hard to explain and I don't want to mention what it is right now until the Admin/Owner of this site talks with Micron... but yeah, I'm sure there would be lots of peeps interested in a group buy or something. I'd check in with MRI on that.

Cheers,

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLineCBR
yes that is a nice pipe! I got one new and didnt have any problems installing it. You probably have the wrong mid pipe!

That's a nice pipe man, hopefully I can find a deal on one cuz I really like the shape and dual outlet. Does it sound deep? I don't like the high pitch rice burner sound.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

It's very deep... at least in my opinion it is. It's also very loud on the interstate :) I really like it tho'. It has an awesome sound downshifting and compression braking too! There are certain speed+throttle settings that the pipe almost has a resonating tone/harmonic to it... it's pretty cool. You can do a search on here for a post of mine where I have links to video of an '03 stock and that same bike with this Micron Dual Outlet.

Cheers,

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Here's the link to that thread with the video links:

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...on+dual+outlet

Cheers,

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 02:45 PM
C.A.H.N founder / President

Congrats on the deal. I love the look of the Micron dual.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 07:53 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Any popping with it on decel?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I do notice a small pop or two when coming to a complete stop... that is within ten feet of stopping using compression braking with the brakes. Nothing that doesn't really sound normal but then again I haven't been around anyone who has one so I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to sound like :)

I think it sounds cool :)

I'm sure I'll have the tail off within a week or two for something... at that point I think I'll make a higher quality adapter gasket and use high heat silicone to seal it real nice.

Cheers,

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 11:40 PM
asf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymurguy
Thanks!

I'm guessing that since no one responded that I might have the wrong mid-pipe. From the looks of it the previous owner clamped it down without making an adapter... it was all bent in like a cone. I bet he had one helluva exhaust leak that way!

I rode 'er in to work today (about 35 miles) and it was great!

Well, if anyone has any info to share I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the lead to Micron. I sent them an email, we'll see what I get back.

THANKS!
The micron uses the stock donut, and I bet the guy didnt know that, tried to slip it over the lip on the stock header and bent the tips in. But the micron clamp will only clamp so tight...so maybe he used the OEM ring instead which is massive.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 04:32 PM
sma
Pocketbike Racer

Has anybody had the opportunity to hear the Micron Dual outlet and other pipes as well? Is it louder, quieter, what? I want to get a pipe but not one thats overbearingly loud, this seems like it may be perfect. Anybody got input?
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 03:24 PM
sma
Pocketbike Racer

buuuuuump!
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 03:30 PM

i have one on my 05 tribal.. i loveeee the look and sound.. its actually not that loud.. i have heard other pipes that are alot louder. but the sound and tone is kick ass... if ur wanting a pipe that isnt that annoying sounding and looks good.. this is the pipe to get... and i had no problem installing mine.. went right on. around 30 min install time
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 03:58 PM
asf

Well I think the opposite. Coming from a D&D with Jardine silencers this is about as loud, just more high pitched. I've been thru a jardine race, stock, D&D, D&D + jardine silencers, now my dual outlet. So I've been around the block :)

Sounds is so subjective you are pretty much wasting your time asking people. The ONLY way to figure it out is to find a local one (try the regional forums) or buy one and see.

Even videos are a waste of time, they sound nothing like the real thing.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:01 PM
asf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymurguy
I do notice a small pop or two when coming to a complete stop... that is within ten feet of stopping using compression braking with the brakes. Nothing that doesn't really sound normal but then again I haven't been around anyone who has one so I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to sound like :)

I think it sounds cool :)

I'm sure I'll have the tail off within a week or two for something... at that point I think I'll make a higher quality adapter gasket and use high heat silicone to seal it real nice.
If you run it with a leak long enough (like a couple thousand miles) you will risk burning a valve.

Go buy another stock donut. They are massivee and seal really well.

If you post some pics of what you are talking about, I am sure we can tell you exactly what is going on.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I think I'm going to do that... take some pics. Let you guys look at it. The guys from Micron want pics too, they're awesome folks!

I'm not sure what a 'donut' is in this context. When I pulled the stock pipe off there wasn't any other parts. Unless something came off with the stock pipe(?)

My header is just a pipe with a 1/4" long thicker ring about 2" down from the end of the header. Then it goes back down to header diameter.

I certainly appreciate the help here! I'll get pics up tomorrow!

Cheers,

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 02:51 AM
asf

The donut is a lead/graphite gasket that slips onto the header pipe and where your slipon goes over.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Hmmmmmmm. Yeah, I definitely didn't see that part (donut). I didn't get around to pulling it apart this weekend... too many other things to do. I really appreciate the info, this was exactly what I needed to know. Funny how even the Micron guys didn't say anything about a 'donut' or adapter thingy. Well, I hope to get to it this week.

Thank you so much I really appreciate your help!

Cheers,

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I got a call from the guy who sold it to me. Looks like there is supposed to be a 'donut' gasket or something to fit between the pipes and take up that gap. I'm gonna try to get one... that should solve it. mmmmmmmm, donuts.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page