Top Tier Gas - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Top Tier Gas

So my roommate and I recently had a discussion about this subject between "name brand" and "off brand" gas.

I noticed, despite however much more it cost, my roommate would ALWAYS buy Chevron gas instead of any other for his Lexus IS300.

I honestly figured that gas is gas and seeing that it's still pretty pricey I always went for the budget local Race Track to fill up my tank in both my truck and bike.

My roommate showed me www.toptiergas.com/ and after reading it. I'm not sure what to think.

Even though the list of retailers that sell the what is rated to be "top tier gas" has what I would consider "off brand" gas like Quick Trip and Kwik Trip, I'm not sure if it's all a marketing scheme or actually the real deal.

I've read a couple things on various forums from my internet search about individuals that get better gas mileage by using what is rated top tier gas, but I've read a lot about people saying that it doesn't make a difference in gas mileage/performance/engine life.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Last edited by Jambo; 08-26-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I fill up with anything pretty much. I judge it more based on the looks of the gas station honestly. If the gas station looks run down and shitty, it puts the thought in my head that their tanks and pumps probably aren't well maintained. As far as choosing between the closest Shell/Speedway/Super America/Marathon/Kroger, it is a toss up between price and how bad I need gas.

The only time I have ever seen a noticeable improvement in quality of gas was actually when I got a tank from this little unbranded mom and pop station near the lake. It specifically was targeting boaters with an extremely low ethanol % in the gas. I have never gotten more mileage out of a tank than that. I want to say I approached 160 miles with a bar left when I normally get 120 before I get nervous and look for gas. Since then they have removed the low ethanol sticker and my gas mileage isn't improved from getting gas there.

I believe the lower ethanol content is really the only major difference you will find in gas that will make a difference these days. I run seafoam cleaner through my gas tank at regular intervals so I don't worry about gunk or build up.

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:20 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
I fill up with any gas available as long as its 93 and everyone sells that.

Every body makes a huge deal about it but have u ever heard of engine trouble do to gas unless its bad.. I haven't. And cars bikes theses days are specifically made for gas containing ethanol. Dont think about it just fill up unless u have some million dollar sports car etc..

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Got into a big discussion on a local forum about this earlier this season with several guys SWEARING their cars and bikes run better, get better mpgs and actually make more HP with brand name top tier gas (the argument as well included people on the Grom forum indicating 91 octane actually dropped the top speed) over regular station gas so I spent the summer switching back and forth every two or three tanks in the truck, car and bikes and discovered it made absolutely no difference in running, power or mpg.

I have all the receipts from this summer, no difference. So take that for what it's worth n

Mike
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

It's so weird that with what they claim that their products do we don't really see that much improvement in our vehicles. I want to know if these "Top Tier Gas" brands actually help the engine in the long run or if it's all hype and that the additional additives they say they put in their products actually serve any purpose.

Last edited by Jambo; 08-27-2014 at 09:26 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:38 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Cars and bikes now are definitely made to keep up with current gasoline/ethanol mixes, but it is 2014 and my bike is a 2003. Gas was still under $2 a gallon when my bike was new. I can bet that ethanol content has a much more noticeable effect on models the farther you go back. Ethanol is essentially just a filler in the gasoline if your engine isn't tuned to run on it. In my mind, its just another way to get more money out of gasoline sales.

The amount of "cleaning" additives and whatever other gimmicks gas stations throw out has never been a factor in my decision of where to fill up. $10 for a can of Seafoam cleaner, which I use over the course of two tanks, is enough additives for me. I actually get a little MPG boost (another ~20 miles to a tank) when I add seafoam as well, and that is always consistently observable with my bike.

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts

Last edited by G Money; 08-27-2014 at 09:41 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 12:06 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I was over at Cobb Tuning here in SoCal (Already we have shitty gas) a guy came in for a dyno tune and had filled up just before arriving with Arco gas. Needless to say they literally made him drain his gas tank and go to Chevron and fill up. They had put it on the dyno and it was knocking so bad they couldn't tune it at all.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Training Wheel Hero

i run non ethenol 91 in my 03.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page