Stock Exhaust Mod...good Or Bad?? - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock Exhaust Mod...good Or Bad??

OK, so I did the whole "punch a hole through the baffle from the tip" Mod. I HOPE everyone knows what I'm talking about. It's where you're too broke to buy a new slip-on. Anyways, you take a pipe big enough and yet still small enough to fit in the tip of your exhaust and you cut it at an angle to make a HOLE in your back baffle. I did this and yes, I think it sounds WAY better!!!!!! Problem, I think due to backpressure loss, I lost some pony's, it just seems to kind of "load up" when I take off in first! Anyone know if this maybe true???? Please HELP!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 06:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

not true.. you will not lose any backpreasure from punching a hole in the baffle..

Everyday above ground is a good day.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

ok, thanks, but what might be the "loading up" issue?

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 08:28 PM

I cut off the whole can and welded a 2.5" straight pipe on. I had no noticeable loss of power. I installed a P3 and will have it dynoed. A loss of power will happen with premium gas. Punch the exhaust and run regular,it will perform just fine.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Damn that must sounds like an F1 car!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingmaker
I cut off the whole can and welded a 2.5" straight pipe on. I had no noticeable loss of power. I installed a P3 and will have it dynoed. A loss of power will happen with premium gas. Punch the exhaust and run regular,it will perform just fine.

Bungle in the Jungle!!!

Beep Beep m' Beep Beep YEAH!!!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingmaker
What do mean with premium gas? I haven't done this mod they're talking about but I'm curious about what your talkin about cuz I put 93 octane in my bike every time I fill up. Is that bad??
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRR
What do mean with premium gas? I haven't done this mod they're talking about but I'm curious about what your talkin about cuz I put 93 octane in my bike every time I fill up. Is that bad??
No its not bad, but different octanes compress and ignite differently.
the 2004, 2005, and 2006 RRs all call for NO HIGHER than 89 octane.

Its called a users manual, and it comes with your bike. Even though I rebuild my race engines I still read the damned thing and every once in a while it comes in handy with info like this.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

well, it's funny, I've ran nothing but premium in mine ever since the day I BOUGHT it! No PROBLEMS at ALL! I wasn't aware that it would cause an issue. Although, maybe I SHOULD back it off to regular with the exhaust opened up a little bit????????????????????????
Oh, and ps, ya might wanna read that manual AGAIN there bud! It says 89 or HIGHER! Not being a jerk! Just correcting a slight missunderstanding of the "bible"!

Last edited by 05slvrRR; 04-23-2006 at 11:25 PM.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 11:37 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05slvrRR
Oh, and ps, ya might wanna read that manual AGAIN there bud! It says 89 or HIGHER! Not being a jerk! Just correcting a slight missunderstanding of the "bible"!
No worries, I wasn't trying to be a jerk at first, I think I started, went and got a beer and then finished, cause that was not the way I planned on sounding.

And I just double checked and you are correct, my bad.
But Higher Octane gas won't cause you any problems, but you may gum you injectors a little more over time, but you may not either. Basically high octane gases combust differently so if your running higher octane you MAY see a slight decrease in HP, like .5HP not enough any street, track, or race rider I know would really notice (Well Sete Gibernau and Max Biagi would whine about it...) Really your combustion may be off my just a smidgion and if power is not time near perfectly then you can expect a slight (and as I said) probably not noticable power loss.

Just to be clear, if I was rude or arrogant sounding, it was an accident. I am sorry if I came across that way.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 11:45 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you should look into buying my 2bros exhaust for sale in the "parts/gear" section haha...its listed for fairly cheap.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 04:33 PM

Well im lookin to buy an exhaust real soon so and i have read about this particular mod b4 so i figured i would try it and b able to give my 2 cents. i performed it yesterday. using a straight tire iron that i grounded a point on i pounded one whole then i became addicted..lol punchin a whole after every ride around the block. this mod is actually quite good my bike exhuast is still very quiet but has a tone which i could describe to b similar to the g35 "car" exhuast systems. i would recommend this mod. But i must stress it is not a replacement to a slip on or full system just somethin fun to play with till u get a real pipe.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Im going to be doing this mod tomarrow. How big of holes should i put in it. And right in the middle? THanks

J
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:04 PM

Running a higher octane doesn't hurt the bike at all. The octane level in the gas only helps with pre-combustion... which is bad. So if you run 89 octane and don't hear pinging noises, then you're okay. Actually, vehicles designed to run on regular gas are faster with regular gas, but they also run fine with premium. The only thing you're wasting is money by running a higher octane gas.

Myth: "Premium" gas is not "premium," ie better quality of gas.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Training Wheel Hero

The reason for premium gas ("no lower than 89 octane") has nothing to do with power--well, not directly.

Contrary to popular belief, premium gas is not super fuel. It does not burn hotter, it does not (in itself) create more hp. In fact, it does quite the opposite. It burns cooler and slower. In other words, is much less volatile. You use premium gas in an engine like a 600 sportbike--that's got a 12:1 compression ratio and 14,000rpm redline!--so that it doesn't blow up! Those kinds of conditions are quite insane compared to the 3,000rpm and 8.5:1 compression ratio that your family minivan is exposed to. Tons of pressure. Tons of heat. Build up some carbon in there or in some other way create a hotspot, and with fuel that's too volatile, it will ignite in the cyclinder BEFORE the piston reaches the top and tear the sh1t out of your engine (otherwise known as "knocking"). Almost any modern FI engine has sensors and computers that can compensate for this problem. But they're going to do this by retarding your timing. Which robs you of power. Especially at the high RPM range where pressures and temps are going to be seriously high and knocking is going to really come on strong.

There is no modern sportbike that will run optimally with anything less than premium pump gas. They are tuned for it. Sure, they'll eat the cheap stuff and compensate with workarounds, but it's not "right." If your bike seems to be running better with lower octane gas, you'd better get that thing to the tuner and get it sorted...

"...But check your lease, Man, 'cause you're living in F*bleep* City!"
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 05:43 PM

Mikehal and geddyt u guys are exactly right +1 as for lang1864 i started with approx 5/8 to 1". But as i started adding more holes they began to run together creating a big whole slash rip/tear. My advice havin done this. use the biggest metal rod "its fun to b creative here" sharpin it real good and hammer it in. if u sharpin it at a say 45 deg. angle u should b able to pound it n alittle stop check the sound if u want more which u will pound it in more. u'll get the idea. ride it around to to listen to it at different rpms and underload. i would not drill the hole which, unlikely but not impossible, may cause chips and debre to become loged in the pipe and create a nasty rattle not the sound u r lookin for by no means let me know how u like it.
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 09:35 PM

hmm, I'm gonna try this. There is barley an exhaust not from the stock exhaust.
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 10:35 PM

I agree.. on my 05. i can notice a significant difference in power when i use premuim fuel... way better than 87 octane... i also live at less than 10 feet above sea level... but overall premium fuel increaces the overall power noticably..
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Bottom Line Premium is better. I ren BP Amoaco Ultimate and Not a problem. My bike Makes HP numbers Higher than most 600rrs in my area
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 10:05 PM

Well, I did the stock exhaust mod today and made some before and after vids of it. Any idea how I can load them files for you guys to listen/view?
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundave
Well, I did the stock exhaust mod today and made some before and after vids of it. Any idea how I can load them files for you guys to listen/view?
I would def like to see and hear them.
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 12:43 AM

punching a hole? i went to home depot and picked up a 1-1/4 inch hole drill bit, took me less than a minute to get through, sounds better, feels a little better
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 01:20 AM
Knee Dragger

i did it and cant really tell any diff. I put two about half to 3/4 inch holes.

J
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Mine is much louder. I have honestly, about a inch and a half HOLE in mine! I started with a long drill bit and made a big circle. I wasn't noticing much difference at first. (a LITTLE "raspier") then, I had a pipe that BARELY fit in the tip of the exhaust, shoved it down in there and "blew" the area that I had drilled AROUND out!! Now, it's one big hole, sounds MUCH better than it did before. Still no slip on! I am considering doing exhaust, but don't know which one to go with. Everyone on here has a different one, and no one I ride with has a 600rr. So, no comparisons! And, sorry, but I don't trust the sound clip that's on the internet of all the different brands. I can't really tell a whole bunch of difference! Plus, there are so many on there, I forget most of them!
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 PM
**Can't SEE My RC UJB smoked **

i have the jardine on my rr and my buddy has a two bros on his rr. they sound different at idle but once into the revs they sound really similar. i like them both in different ways but just can not pin point them. i like the two bros apperancce a bit better because it has a bigger tip oppening and my jardine is smaller but honestly i like the way the jardine sounds at idle better and the rest of the way through the r's but like i said it isn't that big of a difference
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 05:52 PM

Are you guys crazy? Your bike NEEDS premium gas. I would not put anything lower than 92. Usually I hold out for 93. If you pump less than 92 in the '06 600rr's it will void your warranty. Higher octane burns cleaner and more efficiently.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratMan1982
Are you guys crazy? Your bike NEEDS premium gas. I would not put anything lower than 92. Usually I hold out for 93. If you pump less than 92 in the '06 600rr's it will void your warranty. Higher octane burns cleaner and more efficiently.
92EU or 92US, because there is a huge difference in the numbers. A EU 92 is about a 87US.

I run 87US Octane and i've never had a problem.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
in so cali the highest grade on regular pump is 91. Unless you find rare stations that have like 100 to 105 octane.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 01:37 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I did this mod also. I have a sound clip i just dont knowhow to load it
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Don't post false information like this.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 04:28 AM

hahaha i hope you are as rich as you are dumb cause your bike does not need high oc. you should always run your vehicles on the lowest octane you can with out causing a knock. high oct burns slower no need i wanna burn my gas up fast !!!!!

lilguns

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page