Arata slip on install - Help needed - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arata slip on install - Help needed

O.K. So heres my situation (bike is an 06). I tore the bike down to install the new exhaust but ran into some problems and I was hoping you all could help.

I was able to remove the rear tail section without problems but then I ran into some....

1) Got just about all of it apart then realized a large hex head was needed, what size is the hex wrench I need to get to do this?

2) Since I didnt have the large hex wrench I never got the heat shield off, how does the factory mid pipe attach to the header and will I need additional tools to remove it?

3) Where are all the factory exhaust mounts? It seemed like I was missing something, does anyone have a microfische of this?

4) Is the exhaust shield that is over the factory exhaust/muffler (not the one on the side, I'm getting to that in a sec) re-used?

5) Does anyone have any experience with getting rid of the mid pipe heat shield, ie.. does it get real hot on your leg? How does it look with and without the heat shield?

6) The bottom of the Arata mid pipe looks like it just slides onto the header and does not bolt up at all or have any type of springs, I bought some high temp RTV sealant, is that all there is to do, just slide it on after applying the sealant?

7) It looked like the tolerances of the factory pipe were pretty tight and looked to be a pain to remove, do you have to drop the headers to get the factory exhaust out?

Sorrry for all the questions and I appreciate any help I can get on this....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1. You will probably need a 5mm, 6mm, and 8mm hex keys. I think thats it. I'd recommend a set of the socket type keys ranging from 4mm, up to 8mm or 10mm from your local Sears

2. There is a bolt at the top of the side shield attaching it to the subframe.

3. There is one on each side of the muffler, requiring a 12mm wrenh and socket, then there is a 8mm bolt thru the subframe with a 10mm nut on the inside of the subframe.

4. none of the oem shields need to be reused. I think you could prolly cut the undertail shield down, but it's not really needed.

5. it's warmer, but not bad, unless you are wearing shorts/flip-flops

6. Many pipes do not require clamps, it'll just slide over the OEM header, and should be a tight fit. You can add a clamp if you like, however this will make it much more difficult to remove the pipe if you ever should need to.

7.No you do not have to drop OEM header to remove OEM muffler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page