Exhaust melting plastics - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust melting plastics

Awhile back I laid my bike down and rashed my plastics. I ordered a new set on here and the fit was so-so. I was pleased but it wasn't perfect. My issue is that the 2 under belly pieces couldn't fit as they should so I had to ninja zip-tie 2 spots of the under belly right by the back tire. Guess I tied to close and it was rubbing my exhaust, and burnt through the heat shield form and I noticed it just barely starting to warp my plastic.

So question...does the exhaust wrap do that much of difference? And where to get the heat shield foam with one side sticky? Looked online and came across eBay china special but was wondering if something someone uses better/from here. Thx in Advan (been awhile since ive logged on, good to be back)

Mods -
Jardine Carbon RT-1
Tripage - Knight Rider 3rd Eye
ASV blk/blk shorties (clutch & break)
PC'd blk swingarm & rear sets
Proton Flush Mounts
Flat blk plastics with Gloss blk decals

Mods to Come -
Frame Sliders
HID head lights - 6k 35w
PC III/V

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 06:22 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Exhaust wrap will hold more heat your header which will affect performance. It can also trap moisture. You could try some foil tape to help reflect heat.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 02:19 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if i were to wrap the pipe right after the muffler until the mid pipe, would that affect performance?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 04:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I am not an ICE intake/exhaust guru like some, but from what I have picked up from general talk over the years:

No, not really. Wrapping the exhaust keeps heat in the pipe, which keeps the air hotter, which actually helps power (a tiny amount) by increasing something called 'scavenging'. However, it also cooks the piping, which is very bad for titanium and probably not great for steel. It can also lean the fuel mixture.

A good basic writeup here: Unwrapping the Mystery of Exhaust Wrap

I was burning my track plastics at the catalytic converter and nothing I did could stop it; I replaced it with the MJS midpipe, however this requires a tuning since airflow is greatly affected.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 04:13 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I wrapped my headers out of curiosity. No noticeable increase in power. I already have heat reflective tape on my fairings, so no difference there.
I probably got low quality wrap, but every time I rode my bike, right at about 5 minutes the headers would give off a terrible smell and a considerable amount of smoke. Turns out I was actually melting the fiberglass right at the beginning of the pipes, and when it cooled, it turned into glass.
When I removed the wrap, the headers had considerable surface rust (didn't ride it in the rain at all during this time) and the first inch of wrap on every pipe was almost solid glass.
I would suggest not wrapping your exhaust, and instead just use heat reflective tape or foil tape on the fairings.
I'm back to no wrap now, and it's so much more pleasant not having that plume of fiberglass smoke in my face at every stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page