Trying to fix my awful sounding exhaust - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Trying to fix my awful sounding exhaust

The previous owner gutted the exhaust, but did a bad job, so now it's still quiet but sounds raspy. I want to try to make it sound better while making it a little bit louder. Right now my funds are tight, so please refrain from the typical "just buy a slip-on" comments. I'll eventually get a slip-on, and maybe a full system, but I just want to fix my current exhaust for now.

I thought I'd go straight pipe, but I don't want to be too obnoxious. I have seen a video of a CBR with a straight pipe and it sounds way too raspy. At idle it sounds beautiful, but other than that it's pretty bad.

So now my idea is to put in a glasspack as a muffler. I've seen 2 threads on here about it, but the most recent one is 6 years old. People seemed to like the sound, but the videos that were posted have gone missing. I saw a picture of a short cherry bomb fitted to a CBR, and it looked pretty bad. Very out of place. What I was thinking of doing is hiding it inside the stock can. So I'd basically cut off the stock can, weld in a glasspack, and weld the shell of the stock can back over it. This way, I'd still be able to use the stock mounts and it would look stock.

Opinions? Does anyone have any videos of CBR's with glasspacks? Any other ideas on how I could make my exhaust sound better without spending too much? I'm trying to limit myself to under $50, and I can get a glasspack for $25 or so.

Thanks. Cheers boys.

2006 CBR600RR - First and current bike
2000 Subaru Outback - First and current cage
1982 CB650SC - Fixed and sold

System: Phanteks Enthoo Primo, 3570k @4.4, 2x7950 CF, 16GB 1600MHz, Maximus V Formula, 2xWD Black 1TB raid0, WD Red 2TB, 840 Evo 240GB, Corsair AX850
Watercooling: Swiftech MCP655 pump, Swiftech Apogee HD CPU, 2xSwiftech Komodo 7950, Stock motherboard block, Custom reservoir, 2xAlphacool UT60 240, Alphacool XT45 360

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 12:28 AM
Moto GP Racer

putting a "home built "silencer on this bike is not a good idea.

adding/removing restriction to the exhaust can dramatically affect engine performance.

(and engine lifespan!)

these bikes do NOT adjust fuelling without aftermarket fuel controllers, which must be programmed manually to the bikes particular air/fuel patterns..

I would save $$$ to replace, before trying to home engineer myself into a much more costly problem.

ps ; i wouldn't ride bike much, until i got this exhaust issue contolled....
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 12:50 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,058 Times in 861 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
putting a "home built "silencer on this bike is not a good idea.

adding/removing restriction to the exhaust can dramatically affect engine performance.

(and engine lifespan!)

these bikes do NOT adjust fuelling without aftermarket fuel controllers, which must be programmed manually to the bikes particular air/fuel patterns..

I would save $$$ to replace, before trying to home engineer myself into a much more costly problem.

ps ; i wouldn't ride bike much, until i got this exhaust issue contolled....

You are giving WAY too much credit to a ton of exhaust manufacturers.

To the OP, any home built glass pack contraption is going to be a royal waste of time. Get a used stock exhaust for your 50 bucks and start saving for a real pipe

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Alright, I guess I'll just pick up a used stock exhaust.

I still want to see how it would sound and if there are any downsides to it if someone were to use a glasspack as a muffler. I might just do it to my current exhaust after I get a new stock one. I'll post back here with results if I end up doing that.

In terms of exhaust flow and backpressure though, I'd be using the stock tip, so I'd still have some amount of backpressure. The fuelling will be slightly off, probably just as much as a regular slip-on with baffles removed. So I wouldn't lose that much low-end power, and I should have plenty of backpressure to keep my valves from burning up. I still have my cat in, too.

IDK. I'll try it when I get a new one. I have time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page