Installed RT-1 now running hotter = leaner? - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installed RT-1 now running hotter = leaner?

Hi I'm new here so not sure if I'm posting in the right area.
Had my bike bog stock for a while unti I started reading on here.
So I got a jardine rt1 dual, shortened it 50mm as per the instructions here, re packed it properly, wrapped 2 layers of the what looks like brass metal matting (from my old WR) first so the direct heat doesn't harden the packing and than packed it neatly, Not too tight but filled every void (**** of a shape to pack, this muffler).
I did over tighten the clamp though, dented the pipes a little bit, hope this will not affect it too much, couldn't detect any leaks around it and it's not backfiring on decell.
Installed an evotech tail tidy and smaller led blinkers. Looks so much better, should have done it ages ago.
Today was the test ride, sounds awesome, not loud and deep, just what I wanted. Feels a little lighter I think but power increase (if any) isnt anything to write home about.
I did notice notice it ran smoother but 5C hotter than normal, previously it ran at 74C now 79C, at lights it got to 104C where as before it would only reach up to 100-101C max.
Is this normal or is this a sign of being lean?
Dynobike have an offer for a PC5 (I think) installed and custom mapped for fixed price of $850, but I would rather updated my helmet for that amount if I don't really need it.
Does it sound like its lean, or is the 4C nothing to worry about?

Great site btw, found tonnes of good info here.

Slow and Scared

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 11:14 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

That's how hot mine gets at lights sometimes. You're fine.

"Opinions are like A**holes. Everyone has one."

- Untamed Entity -
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Ok thanks.
Think I undersold the pipe though. Took it for another ride on a long smooth familiar road, and pleasant surpris.
I hit the throttle and at 6k the front wheel came up and kept coming up till I backed off at approximately 11.5k cos I though it will flip.
Wow, it has never done that before, stock at 6k felt like you're towing a caravan, didn't wake up till 7.5k before.
The muffler made a big difference, not sure about HP but delivery of it is much better.
I found a new love for my bike.

Slow and Scared

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 04:12 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Yeah an aftermarket exhaust will help smooth things out a little in the powerband, but not much. These bikes from the factory already come a little lean, and An exhaust WILL make your bike run a little more lean. Give your bike a bit to get use to the change. if you do anything other mods, I'd recommend you get a power commander or Bazzaz Zfi fuel module. Wouldn't want to keep making the bike lean and not being able to tune it correctly
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsolsen333 View Post
Give your bike a bit to get use to the change. if you do anything other mods, I'd recommend you get a power commander or Bazzaz Zfi fuel module.
Thanks, I think it sort of got used it, the temp dropped a bit and it seems to have quietened down a little more.
I think the next few bits and bobs for me will be a PC V with custom tune, 2 teeth up on the back sprocket, a 190/55 rear tyre and a gear indicator.

Slow and Scared

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 06:59 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloKnt View Post
Thanks, I think it sort of got used it, the temp dropped a bit and it seems to have quietened down a little more.
I think the next few bits and bobs for me will be a PC V with custom tune, 2 teeth up on the back sprocket, a 190/55 rear tyre and a gear indicator.
There ya go! Just gotta give everything time to break in :) just FYI, I've heard people going to a 190 In the rear and HATING it. I'm not too familiar with what it does exactly or what the benefits are, but all I know is I've heard numerous times that the steering geometry never works out in their favor
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 08:35 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
79C running & 104C at the stoplights is still pretty cool IMO so you're safe as far as temps go, try burping the cooling system of air, you might have some trapped inside causing the temps to fluctuate.

As for the 190 vs 180 debate, i was a skepric before & i interviewed racers who ran the 190/55 on their 600's & swore never to go back on the 180/55 so i gave them a shot & i was pleasantly surprised with the results, more cornering & acceleration grip than the 180/55, made a few geometry & damping changes to suit the bigger rear tire. I love it.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OveRReV View Post
79C running & 104C at the stoplights is still pretty cool IMO so you're safe as far as temps go, try burping the cooling system of air, you might have some trapped inside causing the temps to fluctuate.

As for the 190 vs 180 debate, i was a skepric before & i interviewed racers who ran the 190/55 on their 600's & swore never to go back on the 180/55 so i gave them a shot & i was pleasantly surprised with the results, more cornering & acceleration grip than the 180/55, made a few geometry & damping changes to suit the bigger rear tire. I love it.

Great news.
I'm far from a racer and know FA about geometry, I just want a 190 cos I like the look of a tyre with more meat on it.
Might throw in some shorty levers while I'm at it.

Slow and Scared

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Mine was on 110c the other day, was 40c outside with 80% humidity.

Average is for me is around 100-106c.

Ride carefully - You are invisible.
FB | YT

I'd rather be next to a rider that can maintain a controlled wheelie than a muppet on their phone.

Current: 2012 Street Triple R
Sold: 2001 NSR150SP | 2012 CBR250R
RIP: 2003 CBR600RR

DIY:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page