Fuel issue with 2004 CBR600RR - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel issue with 2004 CBR600RR

Long time lurker here. You guys have helped me heaps in the past.

I know there are many posts about this already but none have helped.

I seem to be having a fuel issue with my bike which is a 2004 CBR600RR with 36xxx I'm on the clock.
If the throttle is fully open the bike losses power but if I back off it gains more power.

As per other threads, I have done numerous things to attempt to fix it. I have put new spark plugs in, I have had the injectors cleaned and most recently I installed a brand new OEM fuel pump assembly which cost a fortune at $643 in Australia but it hasn't helped at all. While the tank was off, I was able to check that there were no kinks in any of the fuel hoses.

I do have a slip on exhaust installed but this issue was happening pre installing the exhaust (but before I had tried doing anything to fix it).

Does anyone else have any other suggestions for what my issue my be? I have been putting off doing further track days until my bike is fixed and am really keen to get back out there.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
I am also having the same issue. I'm wondering if the throttle position sensor may be the culprit. For me it's happens from 3/4 throttle up to full.. Back off a tiny bit and power returns. Feels like a electrical issue to me. I'm changing air filter and plugs to start. May clean the fuel pump also. I'll check all hoses.

2004 Cbr600rr; 63K; PC5; K&N; Velocity stack mod; Two Bros Exhaust, 15x45 520 conversion; SpeedoDRD; pairs delete
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 05:33 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Did you clean all 8 injectors?

07 ZX6R- SOLD
08 ZX6R- SOLD
05 CBR1KRR- SOLD
05 CBR600RR- Current

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 07:14 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
I haven't at this point. I have the airbox removed atm as im doing the pairs removal. The cut is so definite on the position of the throttle that i really think its must be electrical... Bike pulls hard right before and then has a unchanging loss in power beyond 3/4 throttle. Visibly the nozzles look mint. Any idea of the voltage needed to activate them? What method do you recommend to clean them?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 08:23 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crlamb View Post
I haven't at this point. I have the airbox removed atm as im doing the pairs removal. The cut is so definite on the position of the throttle that i really think its must be electrical... Bike pulls hard right before and then has a unchanging loss in power beyond 3/4 throttle. Visibly the nozzles look mint. Any idea of the voltage needed to activate them? What method do you recommend to clean them?
Im not sure on the voltage. The reason I asked is because I bought a zx once and it did pretty much what your describing, at high rpm. Took it back to the shop and they took them out and put them in a cleaning machine for injectors supposedly. There is however a video floating around of a guy who runs carb cleaner through the injector while puting 12v source onto it. Maybe something to try if your short on funds or can't find a spot..

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

07 ZX6R- SOLD
08 ZX6R- SOLD
05 CBR1KRR- SOLD
05 CBR600RR- Current
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:05 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Ok thanks for the suggestion. Ill get the nee filter and olugs installed and see where im at. I saw that video.. Looked promising.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I did clean all 8 injectors and I have just tested the TPS with a multimeter. The TPS appears to be in good working order also.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Just in case anyone else is having these issues, I was speaking to the workshop who cleaned my injectors for me and they mentioned they didn't ultrasonically clean them. They just ran a cleaner through them. So I pulled all 8 injectors out again and took them to a place that did ultrasonically clean them. One of the secondary injectors was only flowing at roughly 75% while all other injectors were fine. After being ultrasonically cleaned, that injector is now at roughly 96% and my issues are fixed!

TL;DR - the injectors caused it. Make sure the injectors are ultrasonically cleaned.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Quick update.. So i bought a used fuel pump and secondary injectors from a track bike with half the mileage of my bike. Installed both and the bike is a beast. Pulls hard to redline. Running some seafoam just to clean things up a bit more but its running perfect. Cleaned the strainer of the new unit for good measure (it wasnt really dirty but i figured i had it available and couldn't pass up the opportunity).

Bike is a totally different animal.
The Following User Says Thank You to crlamb For This Useful Post:
tary preisser (05-26-2016)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:37 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Glad you guys figured it out. Next time you may want to find a local guy with a dyno. It's more cost effective to have them run it a few times and see what your ignition and A/F ratio are doing before buying parts. I've had a similar problem with mine and it turned out to be starving or running too lean. Tuned in some more fuel at that RPM range and it cleared the problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page