Cbr fuel pump - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cbr fuel pump

Hey guys I just bought an 04 cbr 600rr for around 700$ off my buddy. It has some problems obviously. I've trouble shot what I think my first problem is with the bike. Being the fuel pump is bad. It wont prime even with the pump disconnected and 12v applied.
https://youtu.be/zBR2xs-znBI
this is pretty much what I've done so far I just followed some manuals that ice found online. Anyway what I'm asking is do you guys have any aftermarket fuel motor replacement recommendations or is it a general concensus that you should just replace the entire assembly? I can do both but I'd rather just replace the motor obviously. My question is what would you recomend? I'm capable of just about anything mechanical but I dont know enough about the aftermarket cbr stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Save yourself a lot of potential headache and just buy the whole unit. The fuel filter is in that black plastic housing, is not changeable and is 15 years old. All the one's I've taken apart have been cardboard and if the bike's been sitting that tends to harden and clog. Net result is that you have a drop in fuel pressure causing your bike to run poorly or not at all.

The filter looking things external to the pump are just strainers, not the fuel filter.

The pressure thing is hard to diagnose without the proper tool so whenever I have fuel pump issues I just buy a pump on eBay. Not without some risk but I've never had a problem.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the response that's what I was worried about. The pressure thing I mean. I was leaning towards the new fuel assembly. The service manual straight up says to just replace the whole unit but my cheaper side is licking its lips like save some money. I think I'll just do the whole assembly.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraged768 View Post
Thanks for the response that's what I was worried about. The pressure thing I mean. I was leaning towards the new fuel assembly. The service manual straight up says to just replace the whole unit but my cheaper side is licking its lips like save some money. I think I'll just do the whole assembly.
I replaced my oem fuel pump with an aftermarket. Had to open up the plastic housing and insert the new pump (which came with a new filter/strainer thing). Lasted about 14k miles. After it failed, I reinstalled the original oem pump that I took out, and so far it is still going strong.

Point is, aftermarket stuff doesn't last long, and in fact I would argue 14k miles is pretty darn good. Whatever you do, I'd recommend be sure the pump is OEM, unless you like being stranded.
The Following User Says Thank You to Axel Nut For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (11-28-2018)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I bought two used OEM fuel pumps off ebay a year ago from bikes with a lot less miles on them than mine had. I did a bench flow test on the two used ones and on mine which had abou 38k miles. The two used ones flowed well so i replaced with one of the used ones. It has been working well.

First time rider over 40. Finally made it!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 09:45 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
i have one for sale if you need it. came off of 03 track bike with 13k miles. the whole partout is listed here in classifieds if you wanna take a look

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain
https://www.600rr.net/vb/176-rr-other-brands-bike-build/527578-seksas-track-build.html
04 CBR600rr Track bike partout : https://www.600rr.net/vb/106-03-06-rr-parts/581209-03-04-track-bike-part-out-pcv-yoyodyne-so.html
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I just went ahead and bought a new one since the price of them just got discounted 28% off partzilla. From 450 to 300ish.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I figured I'd follow up. Just incase someone else has this problem. If the fuel relay is clicking on and then off when you turn the bike to the on position, and you're getting around 12 volts up to the fuel pump on that three pin connector. Pull the tank off and pull the pump out. Do the ohm check like I showed in the video. If you're getting an insanely high ohm reading. Like 10 M ohm your pump is fucked. Buy a new one. I threw a new one in mine and the pump primed right away. If you're not getting a fuel relay click it's either the relay is bad which is easy to check, just swap the relay with one of the other two. Or it's a wiring harness problem battery problem, Blown fuse, zenor diode under the ignition switch. Or it could be the bank angle sensor or kickstand sensor. Kick stand sensor is easy to check. Just un plug it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:42 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,055 Times in 859 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
kickstand sensor has nothing to do with the pump priming.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

You right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page