Cbr die when throttle is released also need to give it gas to start - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cbr die when throttle is released also need to give it gas to start

The title pretty much sums it up. I've just recently purchased this bike, for around 700$ It wouldnt start. I replaced the fuel pump with a brand new oem and the bike started up hesitantly I let it run for about 10 seconds and then gave it some gas, when I let off the bike stalled out. Later I came back and adjusted the tps to a higher idle speed around 1500. It seemed to run okay but when I let off the throttle I could tell the rpms dropped to fast and the bike wanted to make up for the loss of gas. I do have a slip on yash exhaust. Qould think that maybe the throttle cable needs adjustment? The bikes been dropped on the throttle side. The damn internal bar weights need replaced and there's scratches everywhere so I'm pretty sure its been dropped. Really what would you recomend? I'm very mechanically inclined. How do you tighten the throttle cables up. Maybe theres to much damn slack and when it closes the throttle bodies fluctuate to much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 12:22 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,055 Times in 859 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ok, why did you touch the TPS. do not adjust it. set it back to the factory specified setting.

throttle cables can only affect idle if they're too tight. if they're not then the throttle will just sit against the hard stop.

what year is the bike? 03-06 have an idle adjuster on them. 07+ are ecu controlled.

if you started the bike dead cold then went right for the throttle you probably flooded it. let it idle and smooth out before touching anything.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

It's an 04 btw. I adjusted the idle screw, which I thought adjusted the throttle position? Is that wrong?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I didnt actually touch the TPS I didnt unscrew it and move it around.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:34 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Assume you have fresh gas. If not, add fresh gas.

I like to add a little Marvel Mystery Oil to the tank. It might be snake oil but it has seemed to fix rough running motors for me in the past. And it definitely cured an R1 that was stalling a few years ago.

Then go over the checklist:

Good Gas - Check
Good pump - Check
Good battery - Assume yes if she's starting strong.
Good spark? -- bit of a pain to check but you gotta do it.

Things that get recommended but I wouldn't do:

Mess with the injectors. These rarely clog, I've never seen it, though I've never had a very high mileage 600rr.

I had a similar thing a few months back. The bike started, idled some, then stalled, seemingly at random.
In that case it was a loose ground. It was making a connection most of the time but after a bit of vibrating it would lose the connection and stall. Unlikely this is your problem but just an example of odd things that can give you fits.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Battery is new, fuel pump is new oem just installed, gas is brand new. I might change the plugs its been. Sitting in a garage for about 4 years the bike has about 14k miles on it which is mid life for these spark plugs since I believe honda uses pretty good ones to begin with. But I'll still replace them. I'll change coolant while I'm at it. The oil is also brand new btw. It's weird. I can get the bike started if I give it just a little gas and itll idle, the rpms fluctuate a tiny bit but not much. Once I wait a few seconds I'll give it gas and the bike goes through the rpms just fine but when I let off the throttle it comes down fast and then it's like it goes to far past were it needs to be during regular idle speed and itll sputter. It was dying but I increased the idle speed to around 1550 and doesnt die anymore but it still sounds rough when its low in the rpms. When i give it gas everything's fine. Engine performs really well. It's just that low idle speed. Maybe the plugs do need replaced.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

How much voltage should I see on the battery at idle I see about 13.6 to 13.8. I might just check the VR and stator too since its easy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Knee Dragger

I just checked mine: 13.8 at idle. Goes just over 14 if I rev it.

Not sure about 04s but 09+ use iridium plugs. Recommended change is at 32k but they last basically forever.

If it sat for a long time you may have water in the gas. Ethanol absorbs it from the air. It will take a while for the new gas to reach the injectors since you'd have some in the line and pump. That would exhibit your symptoms.

Run that sucker for 5 minutes or so and see if it clears up.

Bad plugs is unlikely but they could be fouled.

Have fun pulling up the coilpacks :)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I replaced the pump completely with a brand new oem 16700-me-013 and drained the lines. I got rid of all the old gas and cleaned the tank out. It wasnt rusty at all surprisingly but the old pump had crystallized gas on in. After I did all that, i finally got it started. After it turned over this whole debacle of running kind of rough began. I might need to get it on the road and just run it wide open for a little while see what happens. Well see. I'll check the air filter tonight aswell I mean **** a mouse may of made a nest in it. Who knows.

Last edited by Enraged768; 12-03-2018 at 04:39 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I replaced the pump completely with a brand new oem 16700-me-013 and drained the lines. I got rid of all the old gas and cleaned the tank out. It wasnt rusty at all surprisingly but the old pump had crystallized gas on in. After I did all that, i finally got it started. After it turned over this whole debacle of running kind of rough began. I might need to get it on the road and just run it wide open for a little while see what happens. Well see. I'll check the air filter tonight aswell I mean **** a mouse may of made a nest in it. Who knows.

Last edited by Enraged768; 12-03-2018 at 04:38 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Knee Dragger

A nice thing about these is the air filter is easy to get at. Especially since you already have the tank cover off.

If your year is like 07+ there are three screws at the top of the air filter. At the bottom it's just held on with clips. Pull straight up. Didn't know that the first time I pulled one out and took some time figuring out.

And restricted air flow would have these symptoms. And you'll be able to look down the throttle bodies and make sure they're unobstructed. A hose down with carb/choke cleaner wouldn't hurt at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page