Is it a stock exhaust? - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it a stock exhaust?

Hi! I’m new to the forums and this is my first post 🙂
I bought a 2008 cbr600rr about a year ago. It is my first motorcycle and I’m still learning about it. I have done maintenance on it but I have not modified anything. The previous owner made a few modifications but didn’t give me any records or receipts. It has a Jardine carbon fiber exhaust, but I don’t know if he just replaced the muffler or the whole exhaust system.
What can I look for to tell if the pipes are stock or aftermarket? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:23 AM
Pocketbike Racer

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Jardines are often sold as muffler and mid pipe as on this bike:

If you had the full system you'd likely not have the catalytic converter (a bulbous part of the exhaust behind the heat shield under the footpeg.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat-1 View Post
Jardines are often sold as muffler and mid pipe as on this bike:

If you had the full system you'd likely not have the catalytic converter (a bulbous part of the exhaust behind the heat shield under the footpeg.
Ok great, thank you. There is definitely something “bulbous” behind the heel plate. Ya, I’ve looked at that and thought why is it so ugly lol.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I was asking mostly because I’ve wondered if getting a power commander would be worth it. I put a performance air filter in from the stock one and if the whole exhaust had been changed it might make a difference. I just want it to run well and keep running well for a long time. I’m not trying to get every single horsepower out of it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 08:00 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As a 100% street rider these bike offer more than enough performance for me. The minor improvements (and potential major headaches) that aftermarket enhancements like Power Commanders offer aren't worth it to me.

The truth is most owners would get way more performance out of their machine if actually learned to ride well.

That and basic maintenance. One of the local squids with all the aftermarket toys recently asked me why his 600rr seemed to feel sluggish. Turned out his chain was dangerously loose and he couldn't remember when he last checked his tire pressure.

Now that will affect your performance more than a slight fueling change.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Hey thanks! That’s what I thought too, but I didn’t know. I’m kind of a big guy, so I could get a ton more performance out of my machine if I lost 50 pounds lol
Since I’ve owned my 600 I’ve steadily been nursing back to health—chain maintenance, filter and fluid replacements and all 🙂
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Nicley View Post
Hey thanks! That’s what I thought too, but I didn’t know. I’m kind of a big guy, so I could get a ton more performance out of my machine if I lost 50 pounds lol
Since I’ve owned my 600 I’ve steadily been nursing back to health—chain maintenance, filter and fluid replacements and all 🙂
Hello Zachary, I am definitely not one of the most knowledgeable members here, but I am a solid mechanic and have been wrenching on my own motos since I was a teen-ager. One fact I have gleened from reading here on this site is the 2007 & 2008 model years have slightly more horsepower than the others. As far as adding a fuel management system such as Power Commander, I don't have any experience with those, but personally I wouldn't rule it out, but sorting the suspension and brakes are always one of my first priorities. I would focus on those first, along with the other items you are already taking care of. I meet so many riders that say "ya I have a Two Bros can and PC3" but they can't tell you squat about springs and damping. It's not all about horsepower.
I hope you are enjoying your motorcycle. Keep up the good work. Best wishes.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I just had the fork seals replaced this summer. I think the springs are the same but the seals were leaking. And I just put three sets of new brake pads on. I haven’t tried to adjust the rear suspension or anything. Partly because I’m still learning to ride it well and don’t know one setup from another.
Like I said, I’m not taking it to the track or anything but being as hefty as I am more horsepower couldn’t hurt if it was easy enough to get.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 01:08 PM
Knee Dragger

Hey Zach,

Been a while for me but i am in the process of purchasing another 04. I can tell you that a Power Commander will definitely improve the ride. I highly recommend you get it Tuned/Custom Map specifically for your bike. You will feel the difference and how smooth it becomes. I fell in love with my bike 3 times, 1) the day i bought it 2)the day i put softer tires on it (Pilot Power 3) and 3)the day i installed the PC3 with custom map.

Have to definitely agree with the guys up there tho, all the basic maintenance is extremely important. Hope that helps.

if it ain't got tits or a Honda wing on the side of it.... it just ain't worth ridin.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well that’s pretty much my idea too. I want it to run perfectly. I’ve slowly been replacing all the replaceables. The bike was pristine when I bought it but because it’s my first motorcycle I have dropped it in parking lots a couple times. The fairings and engine covers would have to be replaced.
The only thing is I have very little money so I’m not even sure how I’m going to get new tires next spring 😅 If not for that I would totally go for a power commander.. and a bunch of other stuff lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page