Software for creating maps - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Software for creating maps

I'm curious if there is software available to create fuel maps to send to the power commander.

I live in denver, over 5,000 ft. elv.
(I ride around 6000-8000 ft elv.)

I just bought a slip on and a power commander to tune to the elevation. And for all the people who say that if you only have a slip on, you dont need a PC... forget about it. I just moved here from PA (elv. 1000) and my bike runs like Sh!t. Seriously!

so anyway, I want to try to create some maps for fun just to try them out. is there any better sofware available other than the power commander "Command Center" software?

I know custom is best! haha! for all the people who will say that. And I agree and I will do that eventually. I just wanted to see what was out there for people who like to do thier own stuff.

(BTW, I'm an EMR (electronic medical record) field engineer, so this is what I do... play with software)
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Knightslugger

there's no way on earth that you could accurately make a map without a dyno. you're just guessing and that's totally and completely wrong.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger
there's no way on earth that you could accurately make a map without a dyno. you're just guessing and that's totally and completely wrong.
Ok, you would not be "guessing", you could use some existing data like year, make and model along with pertanent accesories added and particular altitude...

Like you could use some maps that were already created and input your bike specific info and the software would update accordingly granted the software had an idea of what the changes effected.

It would require a good database of dyno info and would be general to many applications.

example: people who live at 10,000 ft elv. with an 2bros SO woudl enter that info and the software woudl compare Dyno info and create a map accordingly...

Apparently this doesnt exist. However, I can see how it would be feasible.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Knightslugger

no, he'd be guessing... how on earth would he verify the data?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 10:29 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
liljoe, I have to agree with Knightslugger. Without an A/F sensor you have no idea what that bike is doing.

What is it that you don't like about the PC software? You can edit maps and compare maps. If you want you can use MS Excel to edit maps. You can use the graph feature to adjust the fuel curve and then copy the data to the PC software table. I used to do that but found it was easier to use the PC software.

My advice would be to find another map and copy/paste whole rows or blocks (5-10k rpms) into your new map. Do small section and download it to the PC. Run it for awhile and see how it does. If the bike stumbles at high rpms put the old map back in the PC.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 11:38 PM

I have a full race tune map for an 03 with full system and a race filter. Map is for about 4800 feet. Got 103 HP out of it, really good for our elevation on pump gas.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 11:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

There are a couple of shops around town that can get you a custom map, but if you like experimenting than just d/l maps from the dyno site and thrown them in there. If one map works better than the other the go in and fine tune it.

And, welcome to altitude! Wait until the heat gets invloved and there in NO air!

Cheers

"Dannii" my '06 rr, Tripage Fender Eliminator, peg flashers, and rear hugger, Puig dark smoke DB, Scorpio alarm, Black StompGrip's, Watsen Design "Old School" LED Front signals, PC3, Hamaguchi Full Exhaust w/ custom map, ohlins .95 front springs, Woodcraft Frame Sliders, g-craft rear res, ohlins steering damper, Goodridge front brake lines.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

haha, yeah my bike really hates the altitude. I like being able to go up in the mountains, but the old cbr stumbles.

yeah, I saw that you can change those values on the PC software, but I have no idea what they do. I mean, I assume it either addes fuel or reduces for at that particular RPM and throtle position but I have no idea what my bike needs accross the board. I do know that it is running rich from the altitude! thats a given!

oh well, I guess I'll just leave it up to the pros... :(
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljoec
haha, yeah my bike really hates the altitude. I like being able to go up in the mountains, but the old cbr stumbles.

yeah, I saw that you can change those values on the PC software, but I have no idea what they do. I mean, I assume it either addes fuel or reduces for at that particular RPM and throtle position but I have no idea what my bike needs accross the board. I do know that it is running rich from the altitude! thats a given!

oh well, I guess I'll just leave it up to the pros... :(
Yeah, that's what we were trying to tell you. Without the A/F sensor you have no idea whether you're rich or lean at that throttle position and RPM. That's why I suggested you copy and paste entire blocks of cells so it would be easier to "undo" if you didn't like the results. And yes the +numbers are adding fuel and the -numbers are subtracting fuel.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

New RR
Thanks!
I see your name on the PCIII and the air fuel threads often. Do you map bikes for a living or work in a shop?
I just like workin on stuff and tryin to do stuff myself.

2005 CBR 600RR
PCIIIUSB; Yosh RS-5; 520 conversion (vortex and RKXSO) Homemade FE, OEM seat cowl.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Call me ignorant, but from the factory, with fuel injection doesn't the computer ajust for rich/lean I thought that was one of the the bigest reasons for changing from carb'd bikes. I had a carb'd R6 for a while that was tuned for sea level, and I live in utah, it was terribly rich when I went into the mountains..

Or at least thats how a car works....are there no air fuel sensors, oxygen sensors mapp sensors etc on the bike?

I'm new to 600rr's, can you tell?

Just a broke college student...but I like to ride!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klif01
Call me ignorant, but from the factory, with fuel injection doesn't the computer ajust for rich/lean I thought that was one of the the bigest reasons for changing from carb'd bikes. I had a carb'd R6 for a while that was tuned for sea level, and I live in utah, it was terribly rich when I went into the mountains..

Or at least thats how a car works....are there no air fuel sensors, oxygen sensors mapp sensors etc on the bike?

I'm new to 600rr's, can you tell?
the biggest difference in your car and your bike is the fact that your car has a MAF (mass air flow) sensor that monitors the density and amount of oxygen coming in. where I live the air is really thin and the bike has no way to compensate for it so have to tune it to add more air to the mixture since the air is less dense.
It really pisses me off that I have to do this though! I hate the fact that I bought the bike and then have to do a bunch of other stuff just to make it run right. At least when I lived in PA it ran well. In Denver, it runs terrible!

2005 CBR 600RR
PCIIIUSB; Yosh RS-5; 520 conversion (vortex and RKXSO) Homemade FE, OEM seat cowl.

Last edited by liljoec; 02-02-2007 at 01:18 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
liljoec is right. Our bikes can't compensate with a stock ECU. The PCIII just intercepts the signal and add or subtracts fuel as needed.

As far as myself, I don't have a career in motorcycles. I think about it sometimes but I'm like you. I like to tinker and figure how things work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page