Akrapovic Hex Exhaust Install - Pics + Video (not 56k friendly) - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Akrapovic Hex Exhaust Install - Pics + Video (not 56k friendly)

After much hesitation, uncertainty, and waiting for the exhaust and a PCIII, I decided to get the Akrapovic Hex SS. I wish I could have done the full TI but I'm in college and can barely afford this bad boy, but none the less I'm very happy with it. Here's my initial impressions:

1. The system looks great. I was very hesitant in choosing a CF or TI can, but I have no complains about the CF in fact it is absolutely amazing; it puts my friends Yoshi CF to shame. (sorry Yoshi peeps, I’m quoting the owner himself...)
  2. The weight savings, even with the SS version, is AMAZING over the stock exhaust. I've read it over and over how amazed others where about the weight of the exhaust, but holding both of them myself side by side convinced me. Even if I wouldn't get extra hp out of the full system, the weight savings alone are worth it imho.
  3. I think the sound is ridiculously nice. It's much lower rumbling than the stock can and has a very pleasant rumble at idle and changes pitch a bit above 7k. Again, comparing it to a Yoshi CF slip-on, it seems to be a little quieter and lower in pitch. I’m a huge fan of how the Yoshi sounds, but again the Akro sounds better in my opinion.
  4. I was going to get it installed at a shop, but finances dictated otherwise, so I did it myself with the help of a friend. Aside from lunch and dinner breaks, and some trips to the local store for misc. items the entire process took about 6 hours. I feel like I’ve learned so much about my bike in the meantime that I will now try to do most mods on my own and recommend that if you have the time + small amount of tools necessary to do the same. It was an awesome experience in it of itself! The total cost was $914.00.
I have some questions though:
  1. There’s a little bit of back-firing going on, with a PCIII installed and the akro map loaded, is this normal?
  2. What kind of maintenance is required to keep the CF looking good? I absolutely love the luster it has on it now.
  3. Is there a FE kit that’s available that works with this can? I cut up my stock fender and it doesn’t fit anymore, and I ordered an ebay kit but it doesn’t fit as well. Any ideas?
  4. Those with a PCIII, did you run the PCAccellPumpEnable.exe program off the website? What does it do? Should I mess with it? The PCIII came off of another bike and the person had a custom map on there, so I’m not sure what the previous settings where, and they weren’t stock.
And here’s some pictures and videos of the exhaust:

A short clip of the bike without headers (not the brightest idea ever…): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCK9rau_pv8

Loaded the new map from the PC website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTKdEPHhBnM

“Give, and it shall be given to you. For whatever measure you deal out to others, it will be dealt to you in return.”

CCS# 280...I get bored easily

2010 Sponsors - if they can help a slow guy like me, imagine what they can do for you!
Vortex Racing
Drive Systems USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I should of checked this before I posted...but I just uploaded the videos to youtube.com and I guess it takes a while for them to become visible...mi scusi...

“Give, and it shall be given to you. For whatever measure you deal out to others, it will be dealt to you in return.”

2010 Sponsors - if they can help a slow guy like me, imagine what they can do for you!
Vortex Racing
Drive Systems USA
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Post Whore Extraordinaire

Feedback Score: 16 reviews
it says both vids are unavailable bro...

No more mod listing, shits is STILL too long

03 600RR > 04 1000RR > 06 R6V > 05 600RR > 06 R1 > 09 1000RR > 10 RSV4R :gun:

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
having just a downloadable map will not do it for your bike, take your bike to a Dynojet Center & have it custom mapped.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OveRReV
having just a downloadable map will not do it for your bike, take your bike to a Dynojet Center & have it custom mapped.
I would love to do that, but chances are I can't afford it. Can you get a descent session for $200?

Also do they tune very throtle position for you? Or do they go for whatever pushes the highest numbers at 100% open? Wouldn't a factory provided map perform better than a half assed map because of my cheap budget?

Vortex Racing
Drive Systems USA
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks nice man. Carbon fiber is just 'o so pretty'
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:41 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 34 reviews
$914 For a full system?? If you dont mind sharing where'd you get it?? Thats an awesome deal!! The cheapest ive seen is $950 shipped.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:49 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
lucky punk man!!!!! great price, but still beyond my reach. i dont honestly see myself getting and exhaust any time soon tho. i want too many toys!!!

The brighter the picture,the darker the negative
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:07 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
$914 For a full system?? If you dont mind sharing where'd you get it?? Thats an awesome deal!! The cheapest ive seen is $950 shipped.
He said its a slip on with a PC. Not a full, try again :-p

I plan on getting this system too, I as well am a poor college student - eventually I'll get there.

'05 Tribal CBR600RR
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:13 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Where did he get the headers then?
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 04:27 AM
Moto GP Racer

c'mon dude, if you can afford all that stuff you bought for your bike then it is sure as hell you can afford a custom map, where's Birdman when you need him.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Simmonds steak Do not leave the kitchen without it

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 08:54 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

is it just the angles or does that can stick out really far?

Your grade was 46 (from 0 to 100), A higher grade indicates a stronger sense of common decency, and a lower grade is an indication of conspicuous squidliness and general disregard for civilized society. Your score indicates that you are a pathetic example of incredible stupidity who shouldn't be let out of the house unsupervised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatajourney View Post
oops. I think I may be partially retarded.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBoe
He said its a slip on with a PC. Not a full, try again :-p

I plan on getting this system too, I as well am a poor college student - eventually I'll get there.
Thank you for all the compliments!! It's the full exhaust, but the can is carbon fiber, maybe I was unclear.

If you are looking for a great deal on Akrapovic's exhaust call Racer Cafe, and ask for Eric at 630 443 5178 and tell them Alex sent ya. If they can't get it for you call Chris at Flat Out motorcycles, at 317 8816 686. Chris beat out Racer Cafe by $30...so I got the full system for super cheap (at least compared to what's out there) and put another $30 into new gaskets and some stripped bolts.

The can doesn't stick as far out as the stock can, but by removing all of the fender it apears to do so. You can make it sit higher and a little more in, but I'm afraid of heat issues since I've removed all heat shields. It's easy to play around with it, so if I chose to mount it higher and a little farther in it's no biggie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OveRReV
c'mon dude, if you can afford all that stuff you bought for your bike then it is sure as hell you can afford a custom map, where's Birdman when you need him.
I'm curious as to pricing and quality of a custom map. I don't want a bike tuned for 100% throtlle position all the time, I do about 3-6 track days a year and the rest of the time I ride to/from school/work. I supose I could save $200, but would it hinder me more than help?

Vortex Racing
Drive Systems USA

Last edited by alexm; 02-06-2007 at 10:24 AM.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Hittin The Twisties On My RC 51

I like that can. Everyone tells me that the Akrapovic slip on is the one to have for our RR's if you want a deep tone. I am scared to hear one in person because I know I will want one after that.

Beauty and The Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmack View Post

In the end the lesson is: kill everyone you see.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:19 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

my bad, thought you said it was slip. Hrm. Thats damn good price for full

'05 Tribal CBR600RR
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600RRyder1
I like that can. Everyone tells me that the Akrapovic slip on is the one to have for our RR's if you want a deep tone. I am scared to hear one in person because I know I will want one after that.
It purrs at idle and starts screaming a beautifull tune at anything above 7k. It actually sounds a lot like a Jardine, but a little quieter and the sound is more refined, maybe because of the carbon fiber. It sounds A LOT like the dual tip Jardine makes for the 1K RR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBoe
my bad, thought you said it was slip. Hrm. Thats damn good price for full
No problem bro, I wasn't exactlly clear about that, but yea there's a picture of the headers in there too. I can't complain about the price at all... :01_thumbu

Vortex Racing
Drive Systems USA
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:11 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 34 reviews
So did you run into any problems during the install? I will be getting this exact same exhaust within this month. Thanks for the resources ill be sure to give eric a call!!
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Get Jiggy with it

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm
. Aside from lunch and dinner breaks, and some trips to the local store for misc. items the entire process took about 6 hours.

LMAO did you guys swap out the engine too????

6 hours?????

Looks good Bro!!!! Very Nice exhaust!!!

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn-Sensation
So did you run into any problems during the install? I will be getting this exact same exhaust within this month. Thanks for the resources ill be sure to give eric a call!!
Of course...the only problem was a cross stripped bolt that held the header in, aparentlly it's a common problem according to the guys at a Honda shop. I had to visit 3 shops to find the darn thing...but I doubt you'll have that problem. It's an easy and straight forward instalation and you'll LOVE the results :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Spank
LMAO did you guys swap out the engine too????

6 hours?????

Looks good Bro!!!! Very Nice exhaust!!!
Well to my defense there was a high of -5 degrees that day and I was working in a cramped and freezing half built room...so we took A LOT of breaks just to warm up a bit. Ohh and I'm anal retentive about all the bolts and nuts and washers going in the right place and having none left over, so taking all the fairings off and putting them back on was more than half the work. But you gota agree the end results are lookin seexyyy :icon_pidu hahaha

Vortex Racing
Drive Systems USA
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Get Jiggy with it

Quote:
. But you gota agree the end results are lookin seexyyy :icon_pidu hahaha

No doubt!!!!! Exhaust looks GREAT!!

You got bigger ballz then I do cause I would have waited for warmer weather to work in!! lol

I just did my Akra Slip on last week and I love it!!! but the full system would be nice!! LOL

I know what you mean about the fairings...I might yank mine back off again to take the exhaust covers off....I'm still debating though.

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Training Wheel Hero

very nice..
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 01:43 PM

Wont the competition werkes FE kit work?
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

^^-- yea, I dono if I want to drop $160+ on one only to find out it wouldn't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Spank
No doubt!!!!! Exhaust looks GREAT!!
You got bigger ballz then I do cause I would have waited for warmer weather to work in!! lol

I just did my Akra Slip on last week and I love it!!! but the full system would be nice!! LOL

I know what you mean about the fairings...I might yank mine back off again to take the exhaust covers off....I'm still debating though.

That exhaust is BEAUTIFULL...I actually received the wrong exhaust initially so they sent me the full SS with the can that you have...and I kept it for a few days because it looked so dam good I was just gona install that one, but then realized that I'd have another week or two that I would be really busy so I sent it back and got mine instead. It really is an awesome can, and the sound is amazing on both of the systems.

Vortex Racing
Drive Systems USA
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Get Jiggy with it

Just make your own FE it's so easy to do...I wouldn't drop all that cash on a FE kit you could spend that money on better stuff for the bike.

I need to re-do mine only cause the state sent me a jacked up plate that looked like the inmate was high when he cut it out....it's a mess!!

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 01:49 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
I would love to do that, but chances are I can't afford it. Can you get a descent session for $200?

Also do they tune very throtle position for you? Or do they go for whatever pushes the highest numbers at 100% open? Wouldn't a factory provided map perform better than a half assed map because of my cheap budget?
They tune everything. A factory map might be close, but getting your bike custom mapped to your exact specs is better.

Unfortunatly (around here at least) a custom dyno session runs about $450 to $500.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time."
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 09:14 PM

Nice pipe! But I will keep my Yoshi CF. Enjoy, sounds great.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 04:50 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wheres a good place to buy the slip on hex? Im having a hard time finding em online.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time."
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Get Jiggy with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSaurus View Post
Wheres a good place to buy the slip on hex? Im having a hard time finding em online.

if i'm not mistaken, there was a backorder on the hex a while back. might be the reason they are hard to find....just get the regular titanium one....I have it and love it!! the hex does look cleaner but mine was a perfect fit so i couldn't be happier!!

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Moto GP Racer

get rid of the shields it blocks the view of the beautifully crafted muffler.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page