For my yoshimura people - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
For my yoshimura people

Alright guys, I just put on a RS - 5 slip-on recently on my 05 600RR and want to upgrade to a full system, someone told me that it wasn't gonna be as loud as the slip-on, I already like how loud it is and rather it be louder than faster, just wanted to verify with yall first before I get one. Also does anyone know how much more performance it is compare to the slip-on, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quick question for you ( you could use the bump) When you ride, do you use earplugs? At the moment I'm running stock, and I get deaf if I don't.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

No sir I don't, don't have any problems with that, my buddies with fixed up Yamaha's are even louder than me, so i'm on a mission to be louder than them lol.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:20 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I think you can buy just the headers and use your current slip on . . . but yeah, it should be louder . . . less restriction on the exhaust gasses = less restriction on noise.

You should contact yoshimura directly instead of going through a dealer, because i don't think most dealers can get just the headers.

Yoshimura is located in Chino, CA

Here's the link:
http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/contact.asp
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:23 AM
Super Mod Wanna-be

Paging Mr. Birdman. Can Mr. Birdman please enter this thread.

You won't get much performance from the Yoshi full sytem. Also if you are going full system it would be best to get a PC and a custom map. A full system can make the bike run either rich or lean. Can't remember which it is, and it's not good for the bike.

If you want something retardly loud than remove the muffler from the mid pipe.

New England AWD - www.neawd.com~
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:44 AM

or just remove the entire exhaust system. +20 HP automatically
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:51 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I've heard that if you just have a slip-on that the bikes computer will compensate for the lean/rich problem, but if you go for the full system that you would need to look at getting a power comander( mapped?)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMIMOTO View Post
You won't get much performance from the Yoshi full sytem. Also if you are going full system it would be best to get a PC and a custom map. A full system can make the bike run either rich or lean. Can't remember which it is, and it's not good for the bike
Actually it can be too rich AND too lean. A slip-on can do the same thing.

The the OP, if you're not racing then you're wasting your money on a FS. Keep the Slip-on and get a custom map instead.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
I've heard that if you just have a slip-on that the bikes computer will compensate for the lean/rich problem, but if you go for the full system that you would need to look at getting a power comander( mapped?)
The stock ECU has no way of knowing the A/F ratio has changed. It's set with fixed values from the factory. That's what the PCIII is for.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Pocketbike Racer

[quote=TOMIMOTO;969051]

You won't get much performance from the Yoshi full sytem. Also if you are going full system it would be best to get a PC and a custom map. A full system can make the bike run either rich or lean. Can't remember which it is, and it's not good for the bike.

quote]

Do you have any actual evidence that yoshi doesnt produce much power?
I'm just wondering where you draw this claim from.

And as far as rich or lean, it would most likely be both depending on the throtle position and RMPs.

2005 CBR 600RR
PCIIIUSB; Yosh RS-5; 520 conversion (vortex and RKXSO) Homemade FE, OEM seat cowl.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by liljoec View Post
Quote:

And as far as rich or lean, it would most likely be both depending on the throtle position and RMPs.
He might be referring to the comparison of the Yoshi FS vs the Yoshi slip-on. I know on my Leo the only difference in the dyno curve for the FS and the SO was in the lower rpm range. The mid and upper range of the curve was almost identical so I couldn't justify the extra $$$ for the FS.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Super Mod Wanna-be

[quote=liljoec;971844]
Quote:

quote]

I don't have any actual evidence but PM Birdman about it. He has dyno'd/tested just about every exhaust out there and the Yoshi full system makes close to no more power than the slip-on does.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I see, so you are refering to the difference between the slip on and the FS. Yeah, I can beleive that. I could believe that there is little more power to be gained through a full system compared to any slip on. I mean, most if the restriction is in the stock muffler.

2005 CBR 600RR
PCIIIUSB; Yosh RS-5; 520 conversion (vortex and RKXSO) Homemade FE, OEM seat cowl.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
I see, so you are refering to the difference between the slip on and the FS. Yeah, I can beleive that. I could believe that there is little more power to be gained through a full system compared to any slip on. I mean, most if the restriction is in the stock muffler.
That and Honda actually did a pretty good job on the headers. They're just too heavy.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Super Mod Wanna-be

Quote:

Yah comparing slip-on to full system. Now comparing yoshi to other systems it is poo-poo. If you're looking for power go Arata full system with a custom map.

Last edited by TOMIMOTO; 03-03-2007 at 03:21 AM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Simmonds steak Do not leave the kitchen without it

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have the full yoshi, its not much louder than the s/o. IMO go wtih a D&D if you want LOUD. Laser and ART are loud too.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 12:09 AM

Not to be a ****, but, does anyone have a clue what an exhaust does on a 4 stroke motor? Forget the dyno runs. Simply what does the exhaust do on a small displacement engine (4 Stroke)? We're not dealing with a 2 stroke,where it makes or breaks it (sometimes both) Just curious to see who knows why the Akra is better than the Yosh, vs. the Leo, etc......
Thanks,
Bri
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

thanks for some info guys but, is there any other way it can be louder without tampering with exhaust like a new air filter or something?
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Yah comparing slip-on to full system. Now comparing yoshi to other systems it is poo-poo. If you're looking for power go Arata full system with a custom map.
how do you know this about the yosh?
Can you show me the results that convinced you that the yosh is "poo-poo"... haha.

I dont love yosh or anything and I'm not defending it. I just dont see how there could be much difference between mufflers on small 4-cycle engines... Evidence please

I also understand that Yoshimura has a rather extensive R&D dept.

I also doubt that the Arata full system vs. the Arata slip on makes much difference in power, however the weight savings is undoubtedly significant.

I put my RS-5 slip on last weekend along with a power commander. It is in the shop this weekend until Tuesday to get mapped. I am quite anxious to get it back and see if this exhaust has allowed for any more power. I can assure you I will publish the results. Be it poor or otherwise.

(to be continued...)

2005 CBR 600RR
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 09:26 PM

Earplugs??? The Leo V on my 06 isn't that much louder to me at least not that annoying loud which would require earplugs. Loud is for rednecks with potato-potato bikes. I know it's silly but my stock was swapped because I wanted to tinker and get a better sound but then again I'm kinda older than most here. Mission accomplished. PC3 next.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Super Mod Wanna-be

Quote:
how do you know this about the yosh?
Can you show me the results that convinced you that the yosh is "poo-poo"... haha.

I dont love yosh or anything and I'm not defending it. I just dont see how there could be much difference between mufflers on small 4-cycle engines... Evidence please

I also understand that Yoshimura has a rather extensive R&D dept.

I also doubt that the Arata full system vs. the Arata slip on makes much difference in power, however the weight savings is undoubtedly significant.

I put my RS-5 slip on last weekend along with a power commander. It is in the shop this weekend until Tuesday to get mapped. I am quite anxious to get it back and see if this exhaust has allowed for any more power. I can assure you I will publish the results. Be it poor or otherwise.

(to be continued...)
Like I said "Birdman" on this board has tested every exhaust out there. He probley isn't posting in this thread though because he's tired of telling people Yoshi is crap.

Shoot "Birdman" a PM and ask him about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page