Poking Holes - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Poking Holes

I tried a search, but it's not working for me. I TRIED! I'm not saying I'm going to necessarily do it, but my question is fairly simple, how exactly do you drill holes in your stock exhaust? And what are the consequences of doing so. I haven't even finished breaking in the motor yet( 06 ). Eventually I'll get a slip on, but I haven't decided what I want yet, still looking, but for now I would like a bit more noise. Any advice would be helpful - for or against, what's the best way? Thanks

Last edited by steel; 02-28-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 08:46 PM

i drilled 2 in my stock exhaust before i threw my akra on and it really didnt make any more noticeable noise. take the resonators off your intake, and remove the resonators from your airbox too and you'll get a throatier sound.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 02:59 PM

Just save up for a pipe and a PC. If you drill holes in your pipe and change the pipe's dynamics, your fuelling will be off anyways. IMO you're better off riding stock until you can afford the mods.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 09:33 PM

it would take alot of holes to make much of a difference. just wait til you can buy a new can.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 09:50 PM

I cut mine apart and then used a unibit to make 3 1inch holes in the backing then I cut and hollowed out my stock exhaust then re-packed it with muffler packing didnt really make a big difference either way. Actually not even worth the time just get a slip on.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
I tried a search, but it's not working for me. I TRIED! I'm not saying I'm going to necessarily do it, but my question is fairly simple, how exactly do you drill holes in your stock exhaust? And what are the consequences of doing so. I haven't even finished breaking in the motor yet( 06 ). Eventually I'll get a slip on, but I haven't decided what I want yet, still looking, but for now I would like a bit more noise. Any advice would be helpful - for or against, what's the best way? Thanks
I did this to my stock exhaust. It's fairly easy. And did make a SLIGHTLY difference in sound. (i bought a jardine 3-4 months later)

Take a flashlight, and look inside the exhaust. About 13 inches in, you will see a "wall". That's what you drill. Go find a 13-14-15 inch drill bit, and start drilling. I created 3-4 .5" holes. It made it sound a little louder.

There's some people that drill from the OUTSIDE of the exhaust. They drill from the bottom. I never understood why people do this when they can just drill from the inside (opening).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiZmAc View Post
Just save up for a pipe and a PC. If you drill holes in your pipe and change the pipe's dynamics, your fuelling will be off anyways. IMO you're better off riding stock until you can afford the mods.
+1
Keep it straight stock, you'll enjoy your eventual slip on even more

OG PostwhoreScooter riding HK chasin' SOB
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 06:25 PM

Just get yourself a long ass drill bit or a steel stake that you can get down your exhaust pipe, then bash, drill, puncture, remove, or whatever that back wall in the muffler that you see when you look down it. This will give you a little bit of sound difference, and don't worry it is not going to affect the performance, not one bit.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 03:33 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ive seen posts about guys drilling two small holes on the bottom front of the can on the left and right sides. The hole is on the bottom, near the front in that 2 inch spot before the baffles start. Personally, I wouldn't do it though. I'd agree with the others to just leave it till you figure out which one you want.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page