How much weight does a titanium header save over s/s? - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
How much weight does a titanium header save over s/s?

What is the weight difference between titanium and stainless headers? Is it really worth the extra money to get the titanium systems over the s/s? I know its a lot lighter weight but its also a nice penny more so i wasnt sure if it is worth it

StreetfighteRR... Stolen.... Thieves Should rot in hell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 08:20 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Let me ask you another question, will 5 or even 10 pounds be noticeable to you? I really doubt it.

I don't know how much savings it will be, but I would just get stainless if I were you. It also may depend on what brand for how much less it will weigh.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No way dude hes probably a 10 top AMA racer and it would make a HUGE difference pay the extra money!!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 08:24 PM
World Superbike Racer

^^^ exactly. unless you were nicky hayden, i doubt you would notice the effects of 5-10 pound loss. do you notice the weight difference between a full tank of gass and an empty one??? now imgine that weight down low, im going to say that a full Ti system is worth its weight in feathers, unless your sponsored by a company that will give you one for free.

the only difference between suicide and killing yourself is whether or not you had fun while doing it. ( Me )

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. ( Jack Handey )

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 09:33 AM

If your racing and 1/10's of seconds are important it may matter to you. For the street it's a waste of money performance wise.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:25 PM
G1K
Pocketbike Racer

Everything else equal you can get a better performance gain (weight loss) by taking a dump before you ride.

It's a noticable difference in your hand when you hold one vs. the other, but not terribly noticable (if at all) on the bike.

R

Ryan
Donkey Punch Racing
CCS 137 EX
WERA 737 EX
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:31 PM

....IMO you don't need ANY performance modifications or weight savings if you ride on the street...WASTE OF MONEY.

I ride my bike on the track and I the only performance modification I have would have to be my racing tires. Otherwise my bike is pretty much stock, minus the lights, passenger pegs, and mirrors. Now I DO notice the difference but that is only because I'm pushing my bike hard on the track. If you're pushing your bike on the street to the point in which you can actually tell the difference with any weight savings...your endangering yourself and others.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1K View Post
Everything else equal you can get a better performance gain (weight loss) by taking a dump before you ride.

It's a noticable difference in your hand when you hold one vs. the other, but not terribly noticable (if at all) on the bike.

R
thanks. thats what i figured.. i wasnt sure.

StreetfighteRR... Stolen.... Thieves Should rot in hell...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Pocketbike Racer

10 lbs is a lot if you are riding on the track. more than an accelration improvement, you feel it when you flick side to side hard! that combined with all the other weight savings from taking lights and other junk off- you might save close to 20 lbs- a big difference.for the street, don't bother unless you want some pose factor.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:06 PM

its easy to calc.... try to find out the TI and than find the density....its online...... ie) .29, take the over shape of the header to be a few cylinders and find the volume.... multiply ur density by the volume and ull get the weight. Its probably 5-7 lbs..... your better off loosing weight yourself than spending a $$$$$$$$
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 01:45 PM

on the track... as light as possible is the way to go... on the street... letting everyone know you have a full ti system is the way to go...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 03:24 PM
gee
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD crew off their meds!!

nice one nick>>>>>>

carbon is purdy too
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i heard TI isnt much more lightweight than s/s... it will disperse heat better than s/s. i could be wrong tho
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 09:26 PM

Ti-is lighter
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 10:14 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I can save you from endless discussion with the power of Newton. No not those yummy fig snacks, I'm talking Mr. Isaac. You know, the apple story. Well you see, it turns out that the acceleration of your bike is the quotient of the net force on your bike over the mass, or for sake of argument, weight of your bike. So if you've all passed highschool math, you will quickly see that by reducing the denominator of that fraction (weight) you will increase the result (acceleration) [Ref: a=F/m]. The question is, by how much???

Well let's transform that 5 or 10 pounds quoted earlier into a relative quantity called percentage (so fun!) Because the snow is melting here I'll be optimistic and say 10 pounds reduction in weight. Assuming you own the 2005 model, your dry weight according to Sport Rider (http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2005...br600rr_specs/) is 361 pounds. I'll also assume you weight 150lb, making it 511lbs total. So, to transform 511 to 501 what is the percentage we need to apply? Simple, 501/511 (rocket science!) = 0.9804 (98.04%). Now let's carry it over to our original Newtonian equation a=F/m. By applying this percentage, we get a=F/(.9804*m). Then by the power of multiplication, we transfer it over to the acceleration (hold on to your hats!) (1/.9804)*a=F/m ---> (1.01996)*a=F/m. Wow!!!! an increase of 1.996% (or 2%) in acceleration! worth every penny!!!!! Isn't science so cool!

Here is a picture of Newton, to which I pleasure myself every night.

Sexy man.

"If you're not busting balls, you're shitting the bed" -Yours truly
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 12:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indueng View Post
I can save you from endless discussion with the power of Newton. No not those yummy fig snacks, I'm talking Mr. Isaac. You know, the apple story. Well you see, it turns out that the acceleration of your bike is the quotient of the net force on your bike over the mass, or for sake of argument, weight of your bike. So if you've all passed highschool math, you will quickly see that by reducing the denominator of that fraction (weight) you will increase the result (acceleration) [Ref: a=F/m]. The question is, by how much???

Well let's transform that 5 or 10 pounds quoted earlier into a relative quantity called percentage (so fun!) Because the snow is melting here I'll be optimistic and say 10 pounds reduction in weight. Assuming you own the 2005 model, your dry weight according to Sport Rider (http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2005...br600rr_specs/) is 361 pounds. I'll also assume you weight 150lb, making it 511lbs total. So, to transform 511 to 501 what is the percentage we need to apply? Simple, 501/511 (rocket science!) = 0.9804 (98.04%). Now let's carry it over to our original Newtonian equation a=F/m. By applying this percentage, we get a=F/(.9804*m). Then by the power of multiplication, we transfer it over to the acceleration (hold on to your hats!) (1/.9804)*a=F/m ---> (1.01996)*a=F/m. Wow!!!! an increase of 1.996% (or 2%) in acceleration! worth every penny!!!!! Isn't science so cool!

Here is a picture of Newton, to which I pleasure myself every night.

Sexy man.
lol freakin hilarious. NICE ONE!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 03:56 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Dude, you don't multiply by the reciprocal to cancel it out on the right side, you would have .9084^2 * a in the denominator then.

But then it seems to reduce the acceleration. So theoretically, you are correct, but algabreically, I'm not seeing it.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 02:48 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikespike2 View Post
Dude, you don't multiply by the reciprocal to cancel it out on the right side, you would have .9084^2 * a in the denominator then.

But then it seems to reduce the acceleration. So theoretically, you are correct, but algabreically, I'm not seeing it.
dude. you're kidding me.

IF A = B / C
THEN (1/D)*A = (1/D)*(B/C) = B/(C*D)

"If you're not busting balls, you're shitting the bed" -Yours truly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page