Stock exhaust Mod - 600RR.net
Exhaust & Fuel Delivery Tips on how to get the most out of your bike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Stock exhaust Mod

Hey all, I did some searching, and saw i guess a couple ways of punching out the baffle on the stock exhaust. One guy just drilled some holes in the bottom of the can almost like just an exhaust leak. Then the other guy actually shoved a bit down into the pipe itself and punched some holes in the baffle. I'm just curios as to which method is more widely used and will sound the best for now at least until I can get an aftermarket exhaust system. I know there will be no if any performance increase. I would just like a lil more sound !!!!!

Also if you have anything to add as far as exactly how to go about this that would be great also. Sorry to beat this mod to death, and thanks in advance.

Samurai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 04:18 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
don't screw with the stock exhaust. just wait till you can afford a new setup. trust me

OG PostwhoreScooter riding HK chasin' SOB
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFwestPunk View Post
don't screw with the stock exhaust. just wait till you can afford a new setup. trust me

Just outa curiosity why do you say that? I will be eventually going with a header back, but I dont have those kinda funds right now (insert poor college student here lol).....I have some friendsthat did the debaffle on there bikes, but they are yamahas and a suzuki. They told me to post up incase there was something diffferent with the rr exhaust.

Thanks

Samurai

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 08:41 AM
MotoGP NEWS Guru

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Trust me, punching holes in your baffle does nothing but ruin a stock exhaust that you can no longer sell when you end up purchasing an aftermarket one.

Bernard
NESBA #12I
CBR1000RR8 (street)
CBR600RR5 (track)

"Itīs not easier to ride, but I donīt need something easier, I need something faster."
- Nicky Hayden #69

Next Track Days (NESBA): September 10 - Summit (Main)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i hate my laptop

2006 Black CBR 600RR
Ohlins steering damper
P/C swingarm
Yoshimura slip-on/with no cat
Zero Gravity windscreen
Pilot power tires
RK 520 quick accel kit
PowerCommander
Ignition module
Velocity stacks
PAIR mod
BMC race filter
Woodcraft rearsets
myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/jmotomotorsports

Last edited by jmoto; 04-04-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: computer malfunction
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Training Wheel Hero

if you really want to

i am assuming when you say baffle you are referring to the catalitic converter
it is located just below the rear slip-on part of the exhaust right as the exhaust turns to go to the front of the bike. if you want to get rid of that DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN THE OUTSIDE OF THE EXHAUST take the rear passenger peg off, pull the can and down pipe off bike, and get you a long, good sized screw driver and a hammer and knock that honey comb looking thing out. (it isnt easy but it can be done --- but make sure that you are not beating a hole in the side of the exhuast pipe--- once you get it ALL out start the bike up and pray that all the pieces come flying out of the exhaust. they should i have done it for a few of my buddies. you should hear the exhaust change tone once all the stuff is out. do one last visual check just to double check. put everything back together.
performance wise- this does nothing
sound wise- a little deeper but not much

once you get it all out then you need to hope that your state doesnt go to emissions testing on motorcycles. :icon_lol:

2006 Black CBR 600RR
Ohlins steering damper
P/C swingarm
Yoshimura slip-on/with no cat
Zero Gravity windscreen
Pilot power tires
RK 520 quick accel kit
PowerCommander
Ignition module
Velocity stacks
PAIR mod
BMC race filter
Woodcraft rearsets
myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/jmotomotorsports

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoto View Post
i am assuming when you say baffle you are referring to the catalitic converter
it is located just below the rear slip-on part of the exhaust right as the exhaust turns to go to the front of the bike. if you want to get rid of that DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN THE OUTSIDE OF THE EXHAUST take the rear passenger peg off, pull the can and down pipe off bike, and get you a long, good sized screw driver and a hammer and knock that honey comb looking thing out. (it isnt easy but it can be done --- but make sure that you are not beating a hole in the side of the exhuast pipe--- once you get it ALL out start the bike up and pray that all the pieces come flying out of the exhaust. they should i have done it for a few of my buddies. you should hear the exhaust change tone once all the stuff is out. do one last visual check just to double check. put everything back together.
performance wise- this does nothing
sound wise- a little deeper but not much

once you get it all out then you need to hope that your state doesnt go to emissions testing on motorcycles. :icon_lol:
Baffel and Cat are two entirelly different things. The baffel is the suppressor in the exhaust can, itself.

Leave your Cat alone.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai87 View Post
Hey all, I did some searching, and saw i guess a couple ways of punching out the baffle on the stock exhaust. One guy just drilled some holes in the bottom of the can almost like just an exhaust leak. Then the other guy actually shoved a bit down into the pipe itself and punched some holes in the baffle. I'm just curios as to which method is more widely used and will sound the best for now at least until I can get an aftermarket exhaust system. I know there will be no if any performance increase. I would just like a lil more sound !!!!!

Also if you have anything to add as far as exactly how to go about this that would be great also. Sorry to beat this mod to death, and thanks in advance.

Samurai
Ok, if you are looking for more sound, and aren't too picky about what kind of sound you can mod the stock can. Anything you do, punching out the baffles from the outlet, or drilling holes will increase the noise it makes. There is also a thread on here that shows a guy cutting the can in half to remove the baffles. You're only going to get about $40 for that stock can when you go to sell it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:24 PM

I punched like 10 holes in my baffle, just because I wanted a change in sound. It does change it a little bit. Seriously it's not like you can get much for your stock exhaust anyway, and most of us poor college kids will get slipons as soon as the $$ comes in. No big deal.

I took like a 18 inch screwdriver and a rubber mallet and punched holes all through it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

cool, my friend was telling me there is the baffle and secondary baffle, on his r6 he siad he poked holes in the baffle and then removed the secondary baffle all together??? anyone know what im talking about cuz he lost me a lil bit when he was explaining it!!!!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai87 View Post
cool, my friend was telling me there is the baffle and secondary baffle, on his r6 he siad he poked holes in the baffle and then removed the secondary baffle all together??? anyone know what im talking about cuz he lost me a lil bit when he was explaining it!!!!
Hi again...

in the exhaust system, there are two baffles: One baffling in the Catalytic Converter, and then the baffling in the silencer. depending on which way you look at it, the "Secondary baffle" would be the baffles in the Silencer.

Primary exhaust baffling = catalytic converter
secondary exhaust baffling = silencer

I'm not quite sure what your friend said either...

Last edited by Knightslugger; 04-04-2007 at 01:39 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
Hi again...

in the exhaust system, there are two baffles: One baffling in the Catalytic Converter, and then the baffling in the silencer. depending on which way you look at it, the "Secondary baffle" would be the baffles in the Silencer.

Primary exhaust baffling = catalytic converter
secondary exhaust baffling = silencer

I'm not quite sure what your friend said either...

Thank you, I'm not sure either, this is the first sport bike i have owned and is the first time i have ever done research into "modding" them. I am used to cars, and just for the record i am mechanically inclined i just dotn like undertaking a task before i know what im doing. that being said i didnt quite understand what he said either thats why i was posting up here......I understand now about poking the holes in the pipe....is that all that is done, i belive what my buddy was saying is he actually physically pulled something out of the can itself along with poking the holes...that was the step i am now fuzzy on.

Thank you ;)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Knightslugger

well if it's a silencer he was talking about, the tubes and fiberglass is what he would have removed.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 09:39 AM

Ebay has about 5 or 6 stock cans right now so if you mess yours up just buy a new one for about 35-45 dollars.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin' R View Post
Ebay has about 5 or 6 stock cans right now so if you mess yours up just buy a new one for about 35-45 dollars.

Cool, thanks alot for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page