Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

track use: balance beads vs wheel weights

10K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  PeteAtTheBeach 
#1 ·
Hey guys, looking for some input on which to use. I just got another cbr600rr for track only and the dealership I work for recently went strictly to balance beads. Our wrench cautioned me he is not sure about how the balance beads will behave on the track. has anyone had any experience with them? Trying to make Jennings march 8th.

#4 · (Edited)
Here's a tid bit from a dynamics standpoint:

At a stand still, those beads all collect at the lowest point within the tire. When you get moving, it takes a little time for them to disperse. Until the beads are completely dispersed and balanced out, there will be some eccentricity. This dispersing could take an upwards of a few dozen rotations depending on how much is used. Good news is that the tires are rotating relatively slow for the first bit and whatever vibrations result from such imbalance probably won't be felt.

The fact that Dyna doesn't recommend using them on racing compound tires of course trumps all other reasoning including the above.

#5 ·
Wheel Weights

For track use just stick to the tried and tested wheel weights. In the UK you won't find anyone using anything else. Most trackday riders and racers here, including myself, all place tape over the weights to ensure they remain affixed. It's particularly unpleasant being hit by a wheel weight when following someone closely.

#7 ·
For track use just stick to the tried and tested wheel weights. In the UK you won't find anyone using anything else. Most trackday riders and racers here, including myself, all place tape over the weights to ensure they remain affixed. It's particularly unpleasant being hit by a wheel weight when following someone closely.
Thanks man, that's what I'm going to end up doing. Balance beads are such a new concept for me I just can't trust them.

#8 ·
Had them on my street bike for 15k. Smooth as silk. changing direction doesn't throw off the beads. when I replaced my front tire the inner tire was fine. None of this "destroys the tire liner" that a bunch of people claim. the tires are Metzler m5.

#9 ·
Our dealership has been using them in every unit that comes through the only problem we have run into was a TPMS sensor going bad in a goldwing and we blamed the balance beads. I don't think it will cause any problems in daily use I just have difficulty trusting it for track use.

#10 ·
i don't bother balancing my wheels/tires because the tires move around the wheel due to the low pressures we run, once the markers don't align with the tire valves they are out of whack.

#11 ·
Interesting thought. So, by this line of thinking, adding conventional balancing weights could actually negatively impact tire balance at the track.

My local tire guy recently switched exclusively to using beads, and he swears that, even on road racing tires at high speeds and temperatures, these are effective. I had my reservations, but decided to use them this weekend at the track. Everything seemed fine, but towards the end of the day, I did think I detected the tiniest bit of head shake on the long straight. Not sure if it is related to the beads or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.