Michelin Road 5 - 600RR.net
Tires, Suspension & Handling Sticky to slippery tire talk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Michelin Road 5

Installed a new Road 5 front tire, with an existing 50% worn Pilot Road 4 rear tire (i dunno, 5-6 thousand miles?). Holy crap, this front tire is amazing. It is very predictable in a turn, holds the line great, and feels like it is literally glued to the pavement. Wish I had a new Road 5 rear to go with it.

Feels way better than when I had Pilot Road 4 front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 11:32 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just be careful accelerating out of the turns. A worn rear and a new front is a recipe for a bad high side.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I was considering getting these (I was a fan of the PR4), however have since switched to ContiRoad Attack 3's and am blown away.

Everyone I know that rides has swapped to Conti's and have nothing but praise for them, so I made the switch too and haven't looked back.

I got about 18k out of my PR4's on my 600RR, would be interested in seeing the mileage of the PR5's.

Ride carefully - You are invisible.
FB | YT

I'd rather be next to a rider that can maintain a controlled wheelie than a muppet on their phone.

Current: 2012 Street Triple R
Sold: 2001 NSR150SP | 2012 CBR250R
RIP: 2003 CBR600RR

DIY:

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzMoto View Post
I was considering getting these (I was a fan of the PR4), however have since switched to ContiRoad Attack 3's and am blown away.

Everyone I know that rides has swapped to Conti's and have nothing but praise for them, so I made the switch too and haven't looked back.

I got about 18k out of my PR4's on my 600RR, would be interested in seeing the mileage of the PR5's.
Whoa! 18k miles? That's crazy! My PR4 front tire was totally shot - no tread at all, and the center was very soft. My PR4 front lasted about 60-65% wear of rear tire.

Here's the deal. I bought and installed front and rear PR4's at the same time. Picked up a nail in the rear, and road it till about 15% wear. Then bought another PR4 rear and installed that. This is the rear that is currently on my bike and at about 50%. I run honda recommended PSI in both.

I'd be happy if I can get 10k out of the rear, but I was pretty surprised with how fast my front died. Usually I can go 2 rears to 1 front.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider View Post
Just be careful accelerating out of the turns. A worn rear and a new front is a recipe for a bad high side.

Yeah, I'm kinda chill about that with PR4's. I know they aren't a track tire. They are a great commuting tire with capability of spirited riding, which is why I bought them.

The rear just doesn't have the stiffness that gives me confidence. You can tell when these tires are telling you to be careful because the rear feels like the side wall is collapsing when leaned over too far. (I hope that isn't what is really happening, that's just what it feels like to me). Thankfully they are forgiving, and don't just immediately drop you like the Dunlops do.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 08:03 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't have that problem with my Dunlop's. I'm running a GP rear, which is basically a British race slick with just enough rain sipes to make it street legal. But even before the GP I ran qualifiers for years. But I also don't run 36/42 when I'm riding hard on the street and much lower on the track.

Lower pressures will increase heat and grip in the tire. But it also increases wear. So like everything, there's is a trade off.

If you want your tires to last for maximum street mileage then definitely run higher pressures and stay off the interstates! High speed on long trips will destroy a rear tire.

18k?! I hope that was kilometers 😲

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider View Post
I don't have that problem with my Dunlop's. I'm running a GP rear, which is basically a British race slick with just enough rain sipes to make it street legal. But even before the GP I ran qualifiers for years. But I also don't run 36/42 when I'm riding hard on the street and much lower on the track.

Lower pressures will increase heat and grip in the tire. But it also increases wear. So like everything, there's is a trade off.

If you want your tires to last for maximum street mileage then definitely run higher pressures and stay off the interstates! High speed on long trips will destroy a rear tire.

18k?! I hope that was kilometers 😲

Oh yeah, has to be kilometers, lol. So about 11,000 miles sounds much more reasonable.

I run recommended tire pressure in both front and rear so I can get the longest life out of them. I hate putting money into my CBR.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 01:20 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

If I can get 8-9000 miles from pilot pures and dunlop Q3 rear tires then 18k from a pilot road is more then reasonable.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked View Post
If I can get 8-9000 miles from pilot pures and dunlop Q3 rear tires then 18k from a pilot road is more then reasonable.
WTF, 8 to 9k miles out of Dunlop q3. You aren't even riding the tire hard enough to get it to temperature to take advantage of its grip - in fact your grip is worse. I only got 6k street miles and that was with cords showing (no burnouts).

18k miles on PR4 at 35mph yeah, maybe...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:48 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I was getting that mileage while taking the michelins to the track at B group pace. Ive had 3 lines of tires [2ct, pures, and dunlop Q3] give me the same mileage's consistently. It helps if your mileage includes actually riding hard in corners, as your wearing the edges down vs the center from riding to work and back [which i do every day on my bike as well]. You do realize not everybody floors it from a stop, which is where the majority of wear comes from right? I also run 41psi in my rears while commuting.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Nut View Post
Whoa! 18k miles? I'd be happy if I can get 10k out of the rear, but I was pretty surprised with how fast my front died. Usually I can go 2 rears to 1 front.
Nah, 18,000km (11,000mi). :)

FB | YT

I'd rather be next to a rider that can maintain a controlled wheelie than a muppet on their phone.

DIY:
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzMoto View Post
Nah, 18,000km (11,000mi). :)
Just replaced my pilot road 4 rear with a road 5, maybe 1 or 2 mm of tread left down the center, approx - 10 to 12k miles. Plenty of tread on the sides. No track, all street.

I probably could have got another 1 or 2k miles out of it before I hit cords, or steel in comparison to dunlop q2's at 6k miles steel.

Overall the road 4's were great. More than happy, and looking forward to seeing if the road 5 rear can outlast my 76,000 mile cbr600rr before the repair cost is beyond my ability, and not worth it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel Nut View Post
Just replaced my pilot road 4 rear with a road 5, maybe 1 or 2 mm of tread left down the center, approx - 10 to 12k miles. Plenty of tread on the sides. No track, all street.
Since swapping to the Conti's, I had a ContiSport Attack 3 on the front, and just changed it out as tread was flush with the wear bars. I got 24154km (15008mi) out of it.

Have swapped to the ContiRoad Attack 3 (same as rear) now on the front, so should provide a little more mileage with the same amazing grip.

FB | YT

DIY:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page