Rosso III vs Power RS - 600RR.net
Tires, Suspension & Handling Sticky to slippery tire talk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rosso III vs Power RS

Hi guys,

So I'm in the market for new tyres at the moment. Currently have some Angel GTs on, but I find they're not confidence inspiring enough for my liking. Once I start to push it a little in corners I tend to chicken out since I can't feel any level of grip. So I'm currently looking at either Diablo Rosso IIIs or Power RSs. Locally, I've had friends suggest the Power RS since they run them and are very satisfied with them, but my biggest concern is that I don't usually tend to really push it in corners, I'll maybe cruise through places 20kph over the signposted limit, which is far from what the bike is capable of, so I'm worried that I wont be pushing the RS enough to keep heat in them.

On the other hand there's the Rosso III, which I found a review of them being tested on essentially the same roads I'll be riding on. So I've got that one now in the back of my mind. My only concern with them really is whether they'll be confidence inspiring enough for my liking.

I'm sure there's plenty of people here who have both of these tyres, what's your thoughts?

Beep beep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 02:55 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I have not ran Angel GTs but heard good stuff about them from others. What PSI do you run on the street. During my last two track days I ran 28-30 PSI in 80-90 degree afternoons and this was on Michelin Pilot Power 2CT ("Great Street Tire") and not a track oriented tire. The GT and 2CT as both sport touring tire and in my opinion the GTs are a better choice of tire and you should have no trouble getting grip.

On the street I run 32-35 PSI in the front and 34-36 PSI in the rear and I weigh about 190 lbs. I live in California so its not as cold during the winter months and the tires are able to build heat at these temperatures fairly well.

If I want a much more sticky feel I would try decreasing the tire pressure, when tires are cold, and playing around with the numbers. The harder you push it the more heat you build. If you have too much PSI the tire feels much harder and less likely to "hug" the pavement. This leads to a feeling of floating over the road and in turn not having confidence.

Sport touring tires have a harder tire compound in order to get more miles our of them. I ride about 12k miles a year and always go to the track a week after slapping a fresh set of sport touring tires which usually last me 8k and two track days.

The Michelin Power RS is a newer tire than the 2CT with more technology so I'm assuming that they are a step up.

..... To wrap up my point play with the PSI levels and see what you like and dislike and how the tire reacts. Once you are ready for a new set of tires I recommend you go with Michelin RS!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited by epalacios23; 12-12-2018 at 02:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to epalacios23 For This Useful Post:
tary preisser (02-01-2019)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 12:49 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

20kph over the speed limit and your talking about tire feedback? Im sorry but your way off base here. Your not doing anything to get feedback from the tires at those speeds. If you were actually pushing the tires then yes feedback is important but with your riding style the angel's are an excellent choice. Perhaps try some Pilot road's.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 01:43 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked View Post
20kph over the speed limit and your talking about tire feedback? Im sorry but your way off base here. Your not doing anything to get feedback from the tires at those speeds. If you were actually pushing the tires then yes feedback is important but with your riding style the angel's are an excellent choice. Perhaps try some Pilot road's.
Agree! I'm thinking of going with the PR4s next! How many miles have you gotten out of them??

My suggestion go to a local track day! You will understand what Bored&stroked means by not doing anything from the tires at the speeds you mentioned. I'd you are located in Cali I can point you in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:51 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I get almost 10,000 miles from Dunlop Q3's on my f4i, and have gotten 10k from pilot powers, power 2ct's, and power pures in the past. Any more life and I'd be replacing them due to dry rot before they wore out. I don't see any need for sport touring tires.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:51 PM
Training Wheel Hero

As others have mentioned if your aren't going that fast through corners, your already on the perfect tire. That said, The Angel GT is a sport touring tire and it's designed with more mileage in mind rather than sticky grip. So if you want to ride your bike like it's designed, your going to have to throw some hypersport/supersport tires on it. Hypersport tires typically have at least a dual compound rear in which a harder compound is used in the center so you can great mileage on the straights and a softer compound is used on the shoulders so you've got great feedback and sticky grip when attacking the corners. In my opinion, if your looking for more confidence in the corners, a stickier tire is the best place to start.

As with the previous poster, Right now my favorite tire is the Dunlop Q3+, Great value, awesome mileage and super sticky for the street and track. I typically get at least 5000 miles out of my rears and even more from the front with these tires. They also do well in the rain as long as you aren't pushing it. I commute year round on my 600RR and even on 15-32 degree mornings after about ten minutes of riding and letting these tires warm up, they feel great in winter. When i get off the bike and touch the tire, you can feel how well they warm up, which is amazing in those temps.

Another tire i would like to try is Pirelli's new Diablo Rosso Corsa 2, but i'm reading people aren't getting the mileage out of them like the Dunlop Q3+'s which leads me to believe Pirelli's user a softer compound. Another tire i have a few buddies running are the Continental Contisportattack 3's and they love them. As mentioned already the Michelin Power RS would also be a competitor to these tires but i have no experience with them yet. The Bridgestone S21's are a solid hypersport tire as well but i still like the feel of the Dunlop Q3+ better. Bridgestone is releasing their new S22 tire soon and to be honest, they look promising so i may have to give them a try depending on their reviews.

One last thing i want to add, is that tires do have a different feel between brands, even if your using the same size. Pirelli's are going to feel different from Dunlop's and Michelin's are going to feel different from them. So do some research, read reviews and find a tire that suits your style. You'll go through a lot of tires, so don't be afraid to experiment between brands until you feel you've hit the rubber jackpot.

Last edited by Jinladen; 02-01-2019 at 01:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jinladen For This Useful Post:
tary preisser (02-01-2019)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:57 AM
Training Wheel Hero

How are you guys getting 5000+ miles out of the Q3+? I can barely get 3000+ out of mine before the side wear bars show. Still believe it to be the best out of the hypersport tires though if mostly street.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:36 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I get 3k miles if I do 2-3 track days and the rest street. If I only do street its closer to 5k but by then the rear has a pretty bad flat surface down the center.

Audi S4 + CBR600rr enthusiast Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:02 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCs2k View Post
How are you guys getting 5000+ miles out of the Q3+?
By not busting dank whoolies from every stop.

'15 1000RR- weekend toy
The Following User Says Thank You to bored&stroked For This Useful Post:
tary preisser (06-07-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page