Ohlins Workshop Manual ? - 600RR.net
Tires, Suspension & Handling Sticky to slippery tire talk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ohlins Workshop Manual ?

Hi Folks!

I have anew HO502 (STX 46) rear shock and it seems the rear spring is one size too heavy for my weight. The good news is I have the other spring the bad news is that I've never changed them on an Ohlins.

Does anyone have the Ohlins Workshop Manual so that I can take a look at what's involved ?

06 CBR 600 RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:26 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,011 Times in 828 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
remove all preload from the spring, compress spring until the slotted collar can be pulled up and slipped over the damper rod. remove collar, remove spring, install new spring, compress spring until slotted collar can be slid over damper rod, set collar and release spring tension.

it's super easy, as is most things with ohlins. it's designed to be simple.

make considerations as to how much spring preload you will require so you can set the height of the hydraulic adjuster at the point of spring install. you won't be able to change it later. the hydraulic adjuster has limited travel.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
tary preisser (03-24-2019)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Interesting. Sounds super simple. I did manage to find the Ohlins shop manual for it as well so if you need one let me know and I can send it to you. I still needed your advice though, all it says for spring removal is...."Remove Spring" :) I'll do it tomorrow and I'll pay attention to the preload adjuster. Thanks for letting me know it's a no-brainer.

06 CBR 600 RR

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:01 AM
Moto GP Racer

IIRC, there's a few threads on ohlin's for cbr's that set the eye-eye length 10 mm over stock......

mostly for track riding.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

That's huge! The shock itself can only go 3mm higher then stock. I started with a .5mm increase and was going to go from there....

06 CBR 600 RR
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:00 PM
Moto GP Racer

The figure I mentioned was for the HO608/PXRLS for 07+.

Got it from forum user "KUNI" who was using it on track....and he had it setup about 10mm taller/longer than stock....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Mine is '06 so second generation. I'm surprised the 3rd gen bikes need that much height. I was under the impression that they were nearly perfect right out of the box. When it comes to shock length the Ohlins manual seems very cautious and recommends making minor changes and then testing. I don't know for certain one way or another (yet) due to lack of experience.

But....when the shock was first installed Dan Kyle had adjusted it to full length and I did do some test rides. It was different.

I sure wish someone (like Ohlins maybe?) would put together a real comprehensive and easy to understand suspension booklet but the entire industry seems to want to keep it a mixed up muddle

06 CBR 600 RR
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:47 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,011 Times in 828 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's the thing.... Steering geometry is more about personal preference than it is about one setting being better than another.

As such there is no magic elixir. I personally like a shorter rake angle with a bit more trail. Others like slacker rake and less trail.

The reason ohlins suggests small incremental changes is that raising rear ride height reduces rake and also reduces trail. So it makes the bike inherently twitchy and unstable

On an overly stable setting this can make the bike great to ride, on an already unstable setting this can make the bike dangerous.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Exactly. On the '06 found that with fresh stock suspension, proper springs and properly adjusted it was phenomenal - with a few drawbacks. One was that it did not steer quick enough for me and changing lines in a corner was not going to happen - at least not easily. The other was the lack of two-stage compression damping.

My plan of attack is re-spring the Ohlins and then adjust to proper handling and then set about raising the rear .5mm at a time so I can see/feel the difference as I go along. I'm looking for that sweet spot I found with the stock suspension - just with fast steering and more control over compression damping. Somewhere between stable and twitchy, I'll find it and then settle for it :)

On another note, I tried to take the spring off today but it seems the Ohlins spring is shorter then the OE spring and, as such, my compressors would not do it. I ended up doing some damage to the threads on the grey tube but I will deal with that later. My location means no Ohlins dealer nearby :(

I'll see on Tuesday if one of the dealers can do it.

06 CBR 600 RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page