cam broke???? - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cam broke????

I just need an opinion here.. Just got the valves done by the Honda shop. I ride the bike home (8miles) everything is great. Ride to work the next morning (24miles) great. Riding home just get on the highway going about 75 I hear a click noise and the bike shuts down and the FI light comes on.. Get the bike towed to the shop (5days later) The shop tells me that a cam broke. The guys asks me if I down shifted on the highway. he said the high revs broke the cam. I was in 6th gear when the bike shut down. Can anyone tell me if their is a possibility that when they did the valves they screwed up. When I told this to the service person he said the bike would have never been able to start if it was something they did. This could be just bad timing but of course if they did something wrong they would never admit it..Thanks for any help.. Also the fi code was 18 (cam sensor) I'm wondering if its just the sensor and they are trying to pull a fast one.

Last edited by mdcajun; 06-26-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 02:03 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Investigate further....usage of bike, what year/miles?

ask wibbly!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I don't think a broken camshaft is a common failure on over-revved engines....

For any definitive proof you will have to investigate further to see what the failure point was. Cams usually don't break.

87 CBR600F Hurricane
K&N Air Filter
Accel Coils
SuperTrapp Pipe
FOX Rear Shock

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Find out exactly what broke if your cam shaft broke you would have other issues in there too.

Cam chain, can shaft, lobes or sprockets? It could have even been a cam keeper.

I have never heard if a cam shaft breaking and can't really imagine any force strong enough to break a cam shaft.

You can break a keeper if you don't torque them down properly (in the right order). Chain is not likely but more feasible than a cam shaft.

I would take it to a different shop. Don't let then touch it again.

Explain to the new shop what happened as that the other shop just did your valve adjustment. Ask them to investigate the cause of the damage but not to fix anything. You're likely to pay for this out of pocket.

If they come back and say that something the other shop did caused the damage done to your bike, ask for a written statement and take it to the original shop and give them the opportunity to fix their mistake free of charge, plus reimbursement for the other shops work.

If the new shop says that it was a mechanical failure and nobody was at fault, well just get it fixed.

I'm opening a shop in Temecula in a week and this is how I would handle the problem. I would also honor any work done by us if it caused damage. I think it's more than fair.

Many shops nowadays are just a bunch of punks and are likely to try and blame you for the damage even if it was their fault.

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 08:02 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,044 Times in 850 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds more like a cam position sensor.

If you broke a cam or timing chain you would get an awful lot more than a 'click'

AFAIK the cam and crank position sensors have to be in agreement for the bike to run. If you lost the cam sensor the bike should shut down
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
JohnDoubleR (07-04-2014)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

What did the motor do when it shut down after the click? Was there metal on metal or did it just shut down normal?

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

The bike just shut down. No power. I tried to start it but it would just turn over but not start up. Then the battery died from trying to start it too much. He also said the heads were messed up.

Last edited by mdcajun; 07-03-2014 at 11:03 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Take the bike somewhere else.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

****. If you're in SoCal bring it to me.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I live in Maryland but thanks for the help.. The bike is an 07 with 44,500 miles on it. I do not think that is a lot of miles but everyone I talk too thinks so and said maybe because of the miles it happened. I'm going to ask to see the cam when I pick it up. they have started to work on it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcajun View Post
I live in Maryland but thanks for the help.. The bike is an 07 with 44,500 miles on it. I do not think that is a lot of miles but everyone I talk too thinks so and said maybe because of the miles it happened. I'm going to ask to see the cam when I pick it up. they have started to work on it.
Most people think that because most sport bike owners don't put many miles on them. Unless it was severely abused you still shouldn't have a cam failure at that mileage. Properly maintained a bike can run just as long as a car.

Once you get the cam post some good photos of it.

87 CBR600F Hurricane
K&N Air Filter
Accel Coils
SuperTrapp Pipe
FOX Rear Shock
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 10:56 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Just for you information here a video of someone that got his bike to 200 000miles.

If you broke that camshaft... I think they broke it before reinstalling it when they did your valve adjustment !

Keldom
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If the camshaft broke, and all you heard was a click and it still sounded fine when turning over id be interested in seeing where it broke.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Too much speculation. Open the valve cover and find out for sure. Doesn't sound good at ALL to me.

My thoughts: you did not break a cam. If a cam is broken chances (98%) its their fault. Maybe torqued down improperly, out of order, too much or not enough torque. More than likely you took a couple valves and pinston(s) with you. Assuming you did not money shift (term used when you downshift and land north of your rev limiter floating valves into piston crowns), then i will suspect timing error on their part that led to broken/bent valves.... something didn't get put together right.

Either of the above scenarios will result in your head needing to come off to further inspection and a possible top end rebuild if not having to do a piston or two while you're at it. By the way you have only ONE head.. hopefully that tech wasn't the one that did your bike.

...says a person that's broken a fair number of valves, pistons, engines in general racing.

was this a Honda "shop" or a dealership? I would be super surprised if a dealership did this. In my experience, dealerships do cost a lot more but i've always gotten the best work done there. Good luck. keep us updated?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 09:40 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
any updates!?!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page