is this how a normal 05 engine sounds? - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is this how a normal 05 engine sounds?

i got rid of my r1 to get a quieter sounding bike but the 05 rr i got has some decent tapping around 4-6k rpms, i thought it was the cam tensioner so i took it out and it holds pressure just fine. im replacing it anyway but i dont think thats the noise. its loudest near the injectors but id be suprised if injectors were tapping that loudly , the valves were checked and within spec at 20k miles. its at 25k now. rides great just a bit noisy at higher rpm, the warmer the bike gets i hear it louder. heres a vid of the tap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Man that does not sound that healthy I know injectors can be loud but that rattle is kind of a scary one does the bike smoke or burn oil at all ?

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

no it runs well. its more of a tapping noise, the vid makes it sound like a rattle but its comparable to a loud injector noise in person

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Back in the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97grnrs View Post
no it runs well. its more of a tapping noise, the vid makes it sound like a rattle but its comparable to a loud injector noise in person
It does sound like it increases with higher revs would that be a valve and not an injector but based on your analysis valves are within spec I think it would not be that expensive to switch to a manual CCT if that does not resolve the issue which again you do not think it will then it's the injectors for sure

Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

ya. i hear some of it from the clutch basket area and some near injectors. i just went through all this with my r1 and when i tore it down i found an improperly shimmed trans gear.. i was hoping not to have this happen again lol
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Knee Dragger

My 05rr has a loud motor as well. So does another guy's I know with one. I am really straining in this situation to hear anything out of the ordinary. Sounds normal to me from the video.

Ah...maybe I'm hearing a sort of "pattering" noise that blends in with the normal sound of the motor. Either way...hard to discern whether it's normal or an issue.

Last edited by Rgswol; 08-28-2014 at 05:31 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

ya its a bit louder than id like it to be.. i got a honda cause i figured reliable lol.. i had almost 18 bikes in 5 yrs and the r1 and this honda both have a similar rattle near the same area. heres a vid of what i found when i tore the r1 motor down,but hopefully the cbr isnt the same type of issue
the guy i got it from says he thinks its just noisy valvetrain but to me its a bit too noisy. im gonna recheck valve clearance tomorro just to be safe, if valves are still in spec and new cct doesnt fix it then i guess ill just ride it and hope it doesnt greanade lol

Last edited by 97grnrs; 08-28-2014 at 07:06 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

i checked all valve clearance today. everything is dead on . middle of spec. im still waiting on cam tensioner to arrive. it really sounds like timing chain rattle to me but i dont hear it from the timing cover really. mainly near clutch and throttle body area. i hope the tensioner fixes it but if not i dont have much more of an idea what would rattle like that
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Back in the Day

Quote:
i checked all valve clearance today. everything is dead on . middle of spec. im still waiting on cam tensioner to arrive. it really sounds like timing chain rattle to me but i dont hear it from the timing cover really. mainly near clutch and throttle body area. i hope the tensioner fixes it but if not i dont have much more of an idea what would rattle like that
I am like you dumb founded at this point and hoping the CCT will fix your RR

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

ya, i work on bikes daily and i cant find this stupid noise lol. its annoying. soon im gonna go to the dealer and just buy a brand new bike haha.. its not causing any running issues but i dont like hearing noises. last hope is the cct on tuesday. if that dont do it then its in the clutch/trans and i guess ill just let it rattle
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

well i stuck the tensioner in today and no luck, it just sounds like a loud injector tapping, when i put the stethascope against the head and block i dont hear it. when i go to the throttle bodys it taps like crazy. all i can think of its extra loud injectors, i know honda has loud ones but these are louder than usual.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Back in the Day

Quote:
well i stuck the tensioner in today and no luck, it just sounds like a loud injector tapping, when i put the stethascope against the head and block i dont hear it. when i go to the throttle bodys it taps like crazy. all i can think of its extra loud injectors, i know honda has loud ones but these are louder than usual.
Do you think with your experience switching the injectors will resolve the issue ?
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...rottle-body-05

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

no i doubt it. some injectors are just loud no matter what. honda in particular but i guess ill just deal with it. if something stops running then i guess ill worry lol.. just was hoping the 600rr was a quieter bike than some but at least its got a new cct and i know all valves are in spec now
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Back in the Day

Quote:
no i doubt it. some injectors are just loud no matter what. honda in particular but i guess ill just deal with it. if something stops running then i guess ill worry lol.. just was hoping the 600rr was a quieter bike than some but at least its got a new cct and i know all valves are in spec now
Got you keep us posted with any changes

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
so sorry to hear it didn't fix the problem, good luck with the bike.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

ya. i dont really know if its a problem. most bikes dont have injectors that loud but then again the main bikes i work on are gsxrs and kawasakis not many hondas so i guess they all make their own oddball noises. its not causing me any running issues and might just be a honda thing.. most of the turbo honda cars ive built had loud injectors too so well see. im gonna spray it a nice metallic blue this weekend. i plan to keep this one a while
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

update to the tapping noise. i noticed some deposit buildup on the back of intake valves during valve clearance check so for the past 2 tanks ive been running some techron fuel cleaner in with the gas. when i rode to work today ive noticed the tapping noise is almost completely gone. maybe its a coincidence i dunno , or the techron is cleaning out the injectors and valves and the motor is becoming quieter sounding again. either way its good .
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Back in the Day

Quote:
update to the tapping noise. i noticed some deposit buildup on the back of intake valves during valve clearance check so for the past 2 tanks ive been running some techron fuel cleaner in with the gas. when i rode to work today ive noticed the tapping noise is almost completely gone. maybe its a coincidence i dunno , or the techron is cleaning out the injectors and valves and the motor is becoming quieter sounding again. either way its good .
That is great news after all thanks for the update

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
just keep running it until the noise is gone then check the valves again to see if the deposits are gone, those deposits could interfere with your valve clearances by making it larger which leads to more noise, with no deposits your clearances will get tight & that leads to less noise.

2003 CBR 600RR JDM
HRC ECU AMA spec
HRC radiator
Electrex World race alternator
WP 4618 rear shock
WP 1508 steering damper
Ohlins 9.0N fork springs
Overrev tuned fork cartridges
Akrapovic Evo Carbon FS
Dynojet PCV WB2 POD300
BMC race air filter
AFAM 15/47 sprockets
DID VX2 520 gold chain
Brembo 19RCS MC
HEL brakelines
Euro Racing riser plates & lever
HM Plus quickshifter
EVR CTS slipper clutch
BST CF wheels
The Following User Says Thank You to OveRReV For This Useful Post:
Moeman (09-08-2014)
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

ya ill check them again. there wasnt much deposit just some buildup from 25k miles on the motor i guess. i think the noise was more injector related, maybe they were dirty and the solenoids were working harder than normal. either way its running great and the clearances were about dead in the middle of the specs when i checked.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

well i traded my wheels today with a guy that has an 06. i listened to his motor and the tapping sounds identical so must just be a 600rr thing. nothing to worry about then

Current bike , 05 gsxr 750..link to a few of the many bikes ive owned and built https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=e22951d5a4
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
well i traded my wheels today with a guy that has an 06. i listened to his motor and the tapping sounds identical so must just be a 600rr thing. nothing to worry about then
Good deal! I thought yours sounded normal from the video, but it's hard to be 100% from a video. They are just louder bikes.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

ya, its a different sound then most bikes make and not ever hearing another 600rr i couldnt compare but since his is identical and low miles it must be normal engine tick

Current bike , 05 gsxr 750..link to a few of the many bikes ive owned and built https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=e22951d5a4
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 08:24 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I have an '06 with stock exhaust so I'm very used to hearing what my engine sounds like. Yours sounds completely and utterly normal to me.

I do hear some weird tapping noises, but those seem to be when you throttle down, and not when the rpm is higher, and also those tapping noises sounds like someone hammering or playing with something nearby, hard to tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page