New owner 30,000 miles - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New owner 30,000 miles

Hey fellas just had a couple questions about my new bike! First off I'm absolutely obsessed with it, I just want to make sure I do everything right! The bike did not come with a service manual it was from a little mom and pop dealer in my area very reputable place I asked if I should have the valves adjusted soon and the owner Brian told me these Hondas go on for a very long time without having any needs I just want other opinions to see if I should do anything now that I may 30k miles. The bike runs and pulls hard no smoke and no leaks and is all stock at the moment any input would be more than appreciated thanks so much really loving this forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 02:41 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
30K miles is a pretty high mileage bike. Do you have it's service/maintenance history? If not there are several things you should probably consider doing.

---------------------------------

2>4
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNewEngland View Post
30K miles is a pretty high mileage bike. Do you have it's service/maintenance history? If not there are several things you should probably consider doing.
I have no records if you have the time what would you recommend? Brakes and chain are new brake fluid could probably be changed I had planned to take the bike to a shop in Austin for a buyers check wanted y'all's opinion first

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 07:17 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
How's 30k considered high mileage? Got almost 25k on mine and it's just dandy.

As for servicing and things to do: Change oil, coolant, and brake fluid. Check for chain and sprockets' wear, air filter, brake pads and anything else you can think of. Without any service records you might as well assume that it's been neglected and do the easy/cheap things yourself so you know for a fact it's new or at least in decent condition.

Condition of the bike varies more with how it's been maintained and ridden than mileage so I doubt anybody here can give you a definitive answer as far as specific things to look for just based on mileage.

Otherwise, welcome and enjoy your new ride
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 07:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoha View Post
My '06 had 50K miles at 22 months. It ran great, but I sold it...got bored.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:

As for servicing and things to do: Change oil, coolant, and brake fluid. Check for chain and sprockets' wear, air filter, brake pads and anything else you can think of. Without any service records you might as well assume that it's been neglected and do the easy/cheap things yourself so you know for a fact it's new or at least in decent condition.

Condition of the bike varies more with how it's been maintained and ridden than mileage so I doubt anybody here can give you a definitive answer as far as specific things to look for just based on mileage.

Otherwise, welcome and enjoy your new ride
Thank you so much for the reply I guess I'm just nervous about internal engine stuff I know I'm just being silly no weird noises or anything and starts up without issue going to do oil, coolant, and brake fluid next week again thank you so much :)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Glad to hear it man I knew the cbr was a good choice can't wait to get off work and go for a ride! Thanks for the reply bud
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 10:54 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippin View Post
Glad to hear it man I knew the cbr was a good choice can't wait to get off work and go for a ride! Thanks for the reply bud
Congrats on the new (to you) bike!! It's a Honda.... take good care of it and it'll last you a long looooooong time and give you many trouble free miles. Hondas do indeed hold their valve clearances very well.... there's a good chance the valves would check out perfectly fine right now. I did mine for the first time at 41k and they were all in spec. But it is always a good idea to check them just to be sure. And of course change out ALL the fluids (don't forget fork oil.... it often gets overlooked) just so you're starting fresh and know when everything was done and when.

On a side note..... 285,000 miles and still going like a beast Soooo yea..... take good care of it and it'll treat you well for a long time to come :)

-Jared

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 304,500 miles and still kicking
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 438,700 miles still running strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
The Following User Says Thank You to thirdgenlxi For This Useful Post:
vr4playa (10-28-2014)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Moto GP Racer

if you do not know when the valves where checked, I would do it soon.

Lyoha has it right - you should change all fluids(unless known when changed).

manage chain slack/tension carefully, it has a major influence on chain/sprocket life.

Good luck, watch out - these bikes are po po magnets.... take your time and suss out a good set of backroads with no traffic if possible!

get the suspension setup for your weight...cheap and best thing to spend the $ on right now....mod
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

That is INSANE mileage awesome dude thanks for the reply much appreciated :D I will be sure to maintain this bike as well as i can will have to valves checked in a few days just so I'm sure we are good to go!

And Tary thank you for the reply on my thread and my PM very killer forum we have here
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 12:34 AM
Moto GP Racer

what tires are on currently?

IMO tire psi is as recommended (36/42) is very high....

try about 20%lower and see how the bike reacts....

ps...(Jared) thirdgenLxi is the longevity guru OTF.

Also check OTF the rotella T-6 threads for cheaper alternatives to Amsoil!

Last edited by tary preisser; 10-24-2014 at 12:41 AM. Reason: GL!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
what tires are on currently?

IMO tire psi is as recommended (36/42) is very high....

try about 20%lower and see how the bike reacts....

ps...(Jared) thirdgenLxi is the longevity guru OTF.

Also check OTF the rotella T-6 threads for cheaper alternatives to Amsoil!
The second day I had the bike I lowered PSI a bit not 20% but a couple PSI each and I like it I'll try a little more today I'm about to head to the dealer and grab my plates and reg sticker! It's got a Pirelli Rosso 2 in the back and some crummy tire up front will both be replaced in November I checked out the T-6 and it has marvelous reviews many people dig it I can find that oil locally as well! Thanks for the tips my friend
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 09:42 AM
World Superbike Racer

As suggested a full fluid chance as well as air filter should get you in a pretty level starting point for this bike. In the near future I'd do plugs but know those are FREAKING expensive so be prepared for around $80 for all four; you can run the standard NGK models without issue and save yourself some $$$$, which I have done without issue, but it's one of those things that's such a pain to get to I personally do the iridium guys and call it good.

I'd start looking at a valve check around 32-36k, but really just get yourself a used service manual, under $50, follow those intervals and you'll be set.

Enjoy your new ride!!!

Mike
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
As suggested a full fluid chance as well as air filter should get you in a pretty level starting point for this bike. In the near future I'd do plugs but know those are FREAKING expensive so be prepared for around $80 for all four; you can run the standard NGK models without issue and save yourself some $$$$, which I have done without issue, but it's one of those things that's such a pain to get to I personally do the iridium guys and call it good.

I'd start looking at a valve check around 32-36k, but really just get yourself a used service manual, under $50, follow those intervals and you'll be set.

Enjoy your new ride!!!

Mike
Thanks for the reply man going to go find me a service manual!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:08 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Wtf dude do a valve check asap.. oil, coolant, plugs and air filter. Check pads do break fluid clean cailper pistons. Also i would just do the cct cuz its cheap and engines are expensive...

2007 Cbr600rr Black

[SIZE=1]Tripage IT and Plate Bracket, TST Turn Signals, GB Case Covers, Captive Rear Spacers, Driven 520 -1 +2 steel sprocket kit, Spiegler Steel Brake Lines, Front Fork Revalve, Stomp Grips, Speedodrd, Dunlop Q3's, HRC Rear Brake Res, Woocraft Frame sliders, Shorty levers, 90 Degree Valve Stems, EK 520 Black/Gold Chain, Tekarbon Chain Guard, Engine Swap, Brembo RCS, Evotech Front Brake Res, SBS Sintered Race pads, Healtech Quick Shifter, Vortex Rearsets, and Trackdays!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 04:19 AM
Moto GP Racer

30k isn't bad. But since you don't have the service records, its better if you go ahead and do the maintenance. Lots of good advice posted above.

I sold my 06RR with 34k miles and that beauty ran like new even the day I sold it. Its all in the maintenance. Here's what I did with mine around 30k:
- New battery
- New tires
- New chain/sprocket
- New brake pads and front rotors
- Flush coolant
- Standard oil change
- Check for any leaks including the fork oil

I did not even check the valves on mine yet, because the bike ran new. Service manual recommends checking them at 16k miles, but you can go as high as 32k if maintained properly.

Go ahead and get the valves checked just to be safe.

Lastly, check for any crash damage, fairing scuffs/cracks, and make sure all the lights are working. That will give you a good indication of how it was maintained.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCBR06 View Post
30k isn't bad. But since you don't have the service records, its better if you go ahead and do the maintenance. Lots of good advice posted above.

I sold my 06RR with 34k miles and that beauty ran like new even the day I sold it. Its all in the maintenance. Here's what I did with mine around 30k:
- New battery
- New tires
- New chain/sprocket
- New brake pads and front rotors
- Flush coolant
- Standard oil change
- Check for any leaks including the fork oil

I did not even check the valves on mine yet, because the bike ran new. Service manual recommends checking them at 16k miles, but you can go as high as 32k if maintained properly.

Go ahead and get the valves checked just to be safe.

Lastly, check for any crash damage, fairing scuffs/cracks, and make sure all the lights are working. That will give you a good indication of how it was maintained.
Yes!! That is awesome to hear man :) thanks for the input going to do all the fluids this weekend I really appreciate your reply
The Following User Says Thank You to Slippin For This Useful Post:
TribalCBR06 (11-25-2014)
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 05:52 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
How's 30k considered high mileage?
Because most sportbikes are crashed before reaching that mileage OR the teenagers who buy them run them into the ground. Then there is the fact that the vast majority of sportbike owners don't daily drive them or put many miles at all on the bikes during ownership. 30k is indeed a lot of miles for the bike, but it doesn't in any way mean the bike is worn out.

'06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 87k miles and counting.....
'08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines
'15 1000RR- weekend toy
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 07:10 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

One thing I've noticed about bikes kept stock are that it's usually the older folk who keep it like that. They are less likely to mod the bike. Not always the case, but it's something I've noticed.

Chances are that it was probably an older than your average sportbike owner, probably maintained well too. Did you ask the dealer who the seller was?

Of course, you can never take a chance and good maintenance practice is cheap insurance. Have fun!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:36 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RothmansRR View Post
One thing I've noticed about bikes kept stock are that it's usually the older folk who keep it like that. They are less likely to mod the bike. Not always the case, but it's something I've noticed.

Chances are that it was probably an older than your average sportbike owner, probably maintained well too. Did you ask the dealer who the seller was?

Of course, you can never take a chance and good maintenance practice is cheap insurance. Have fun!
Ha, I am an old man when it comes to the sportbike community and I absolutely love a stock bike. I try to buy them as stock as I can find. The bikes that have been "modded out" I have found to be done with poor quality and I and up having to fix something on. It's tough to beat the quality of factory production.

So yeah... I would agree with your statement.

---------------------------------

2>4
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,717 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
A lot of modded bikes are done by people that can't change their own oil. They like to bolt shiny **** to their bikes. I love the people that ask if they should get shorty levers. If you haven't used them, what makes you think you need them?
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:56 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Ha, I am an old man when it comes to the sportbike community and I absolutely love a stock bike. I try to buy them as stock as I can find. The bikes that have been "modded out" I have found to be done with poor quality and I and up having to fix something on. It's tough to beat the quality of factory production.

So yeah... I would agree with your statement.
Haha, well that's one more then.

When I bought mine, it came with a stock exhaust but modified front and rear indicators, tail light, and fender eliminator. When I got defected for the lack of a rear fender and non-standard indicators I had to find and reinstall stock parts.

Not fun, whoever worked on the bike botched the wiring. They cut the original wiring and installed bullet connectors to link up the aftermarket indicators. The tail light had a pin type similar to OEM. So I had a mix of pin type and bullet type connectors.

I ended up using the pin type from the OEM indicators, putting it through the bullet type connector, and using a plier to force the bullet shut, then using good ol' electrical tape to cover up my hack of a previous hack.

Last year, my friend and I went to buy a 1998 ZX-9R. We were shocked at its condition. It was MINT. We thought it was brand new but it had done 32,000km's. Completely stock. I couldn't find a single scuff mark, scratch or even a swirl. When we enquired about the service history and previous owner, we found out that the 50-year-old bloke who owned it from new had decided to call quits on his weekend supersports career and sell it.

But that's enough stories from me today
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Tell him dude, its all about how you maintain your bike over time!!!
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 11:09 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippin View Post
Yes!! That is awesome to hear man :) thanks for the input going to do all the fluids this weekend I really appreciate your reply
Your welcome.

Hope everything goes well with yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RothmansRR View Post

That is somewhat true, but it all depends on the person.

I would think its more on the maturity level, instead of age though. I bought my RR when I was 25yo. Not mature by any means, but I wanted to keep the bike in the best condition it can be in--which is stock.

I still modded the bike a little, but but only minor things. Cosmetic mods like flush mounts, CA tails, exhaust, HID's, Wave rotors, etc. Kept the motor and suspension stock, and did the routine maintenance like a hawk.

Bottom line, it really comes down to how the owner treats the bike.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page