Smoke from exhaust after crash. - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoke from exhaust after crash.

Bike was involved in accident. Sat on the ground for quite a while pictures/investigation... Bike sat at police station for a while, bike sat in garage for a while (both standing).
Started up no problem, but upon warming up smoke starts emitting from exhaust.
Thought maybe oil got somewhere it shouldn't and was just burning off... Not the case, bike has been run for a while. Tore down to injectors/throttle body, everything looks ok.
Smoke has a slight blue tint.
More smoke with rev.
Noticed a loss in oil. Performed an oil change including filter. Only 2 and some quarts came out. Presumably lost at the scene.
Oil had no sign of coolant (h2o + water wetter). Filled to proper amount.
Coolant has no sign of oil in radiator near cap. Coolant levels are ok.
Issue still exists.
Bike sounds ok, doesn't sound like any misfires.

Smoke emits upon warming up. Rev to 5k pushes more smoke though I still wouldn't call it dense, definitively noticeable.
Only once did smoke not emit. After running for about ten minutes smoking, bike was shut off, cooled for 5, started again. At idle it was fine - no smoke...until throttle was opened.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Take it for a long ride. If all the lubricants have been changed and checked there shouldn't be to much of a risk. Have you had a look inside the airbox? Maybe some oil made its way in there through the pair valves? Dont know if that is possible but worth the look.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximum View Post
Take it for a long ride. If all the lubricants have been changed and checked there shouldn't be to much of a risk. Have you had a look inside the airbox? Maybe some oil made its way in there through the pair valves? Dont know if that is possible but worth the look.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Can't take it for a ride just yet. Front end was effed after accident. No forks or tire. Currently on front stand.
Wanted to fix this issue before investing more into the front end.
Airbox looks ok.

Thanks for suggestions tho.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:47 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Could you have a leak in one of the oil galleries, since oil is making its way into the engine and you can tell from the outside, then it has to be an internal leak? Not sure, just guessing off the top of my head really. Good luck though, hope you get it resolved.

2011 CBR600RR 'X-Ray' Build Thread
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=294795

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 07:36 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stock or aftermarket exhaust? If it's aftermarket it may take quite a few heat cycles before the old oil burns out of the packing if it was laying on its side with an oil filled air box for a while that revving on a stand won't clear out.

Just going over things you may have already done but: check your airbox for oil, air filter for saturation of oil and replace if it has been, check your oil and coolant for proper level and contamination, then check for usage of oil. 10 minutes of revving wont show any real loss.

Unless there was engine damage my best guess is it's simply old oil that hasn't burned off yet, sitting on the stand won't generate enough heat to really cook the old stuff out so you need to get the bike rideable or pull the exhaust and clean it. You make no mention of year but if it's a bike with a cat it may take a long time to get the oil out if that.

Mike
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Stock or aftermarket exhaust? If it's aftermarket it may take quite a few heat cycles before the old oil burns out of the packing if it was laying on its side with an oil filled air box for a while that revving on a stand won't clear out.

Just going over things you may have already done but: check your airbox for oil, air filter for saturation of oil and replace if it has been, check your oil and coolant for proper level and contamination, then check for usage of oil. 10 minutes of revving wont show any real loss.

Unless there was engine damage my best guess is it's simply old oil that hasn't burned off yet, sitting on the stand won't generate enough heat to really cook the old stuff out so you need to get the bike rideable or pull the exhaust and clean it. You make no mention of year but if it's a bike with a cat it may take a long time to get the oil out if that.

Mike
Stock exhaust
You really think it's the exhaust?
What packing are you talking about in the exhaust, the muffler packing?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 02:35 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,044 Times in 850 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You likely took oil into the airbox through the crank case breather. It can take quite a while to burn it all off
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:44 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl2us View Post
Stock exhaust
You really think it's the exhaust?
What packing are you talking about in the exhaust, the muffler packing?
Yup, muffler packing, though a stock exhaust doesn't have any. It does have a lot of nooks and cranny's for baffling which may or may not still have oil deposited in it. If you had an aftermarket the packing can get saturated pretty easily and take a while to burn off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
You likely took oil into the airbox through the crank case breather. It can take quite a while to burn it all off
^^^This as well.

Look, honestly without knowing or seeing the wreck, damage and/or the previous history we all have no idea and are simply guessing at what may be the issue. However if the bike didn't burn oil before the wreck, most likely it won't after and the fact you were about 2 quarts low after the wreck is a good indicator that the oil went somewhere it usually doesn't and needs to burn off. If you are not seeing mixing between oil and coolant I'm thinking you just need to ride to see what happens.

Mike
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Yup, muffler packing, though a stock exhaust doesn't have any. It does have a lot of nooks and cranny's for baffling which may or may not still have oil deposited in it. If you had an aftermarket the packing can get saturated pretty easily and take a while to burn off.

^^^This as well.

Look, honestly without knowing or seeing the wreck, damage and/or the previous history we all have no idea and are simply guessing at what may be the issue. However if the bike didn't burn oil before the wreck, most likely it won't after and the fact you were about 2 quarts low after the wreck is a good indicator that the oil went somewhere it usually doesn't and needs to burn off. If you are not seeing mixing between oil and coolant I'm thinking you just need to ride to see what happens.

Mike
I'm not sure I see how it's possible for oil to travel that far back... I would imagine the tank has to be touching ground, wheels up for that to happen (which sounds uncommon in itself). The front end was smashed and it's final resting position was on it's side, I think oil would have to work against gravity in my case.

I would ride it if I could.
Do you think running at idle wouldn't do the job?

I appreciate your help.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 03:57 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl2us View Post
I'm not sure I see how it's possible for oil to travel that far back... I would imagine the tank has to be touching ground, wheels up for that to happen (which sounds uncommon in itself). The front end was smashed and it's final resting position was on it's side, I think oil would have to work against gravity in my case.

I would ride it if I could.
Do you think running at idle wouldn't do the job?

I appreciate your help.
If the bike is laying on it's side for a long period of time the oil can get into the airbox or even combustion chamber and make it's way into the exhaust. Once you start the bike it can get pushed into the muffler by the gasses being pushed through the pipe; not saying this is what happend but I've seen it and experienced it with both street bikes and dirt bikes and it sounds like what you are describing.

You can't think of oil directly getting anywhere but once it works it's way into places it wouldn't normally be, it goes on from there following the intake to the exhaust.

Yes, idling it doesn't get the pipes hot enough long enough to get it out.

Again, trying to give help based on limited info, no pictures, no video nor am I standing in front of the bike seeing, hearing and smelling what is happening. It's a fairly safe bet, however it will burn off from my experience.

Mike
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

I see, thanks for clarification.

May just fix the throttle to 5000 rpm and let it run for a while.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page